||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (February 2013)|
Ben Macintyre (born 1963) is a British author, historian, and columnist writing for The Times newspaper. His columns range from current affairs to historical controversies.
MacIntyre is the author of a book on the gentleman criminal Adam Worth, The Napoleon of Crime: The Life and Times of Adam Worth, Master Thief. He also wrote The Man Who Would Be King: The First American in Afghanistan, and a book on the real-life double agent of Germany and Britain during the Second World War, Eddie Chapman, titled Agent Zigzag: The True Wartime Story of Eddie Chapman: Lover, Betrayer, Hero, Spy. In 2008 MacIntyre wrote an informative illustrated account of Ian Fleming, creator of the fictional spy James Bond, to accompany the For Your Eyes Only exhibition at London's Imperial War Museum, which was part of the Fleming Centenary celebrations.
Three of his books have recently been made into documentaries for the BBC: Operation Mincemeat (2010), DOUBLE AGENT: The Eddie Chapman Story (2011), and "Double Cross - The True Story of the D Day Spies" (2012).
According to the rear cover of the advance excerpt for Napoleon of Crime the film rights were optioned by Steven Spielberg (erratum sticker inside corrects this to DreamWorks SKG).
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (February 2013)|
- Forgotten Fatherland: The Search for Elisabeth Nietzsche. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1992. ISBN 978-0-374-15759-3.
- The Napoleon of Crime: The Life and Times of Adam Worth, Master Thief. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1997. ISBN 978-0-374-21899-7.
- A Foreign Field. HarperCollins, 2001. ISBN 978-0-00-257122-7.
--- in USA The Englishman's Daughter: A True Story of Love and Betrayal in World War One. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2002. ISBN 978-0-374-12985-9.
- The Man Who Would Be King: The First American in Afghanistan. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2004. ISBN 978-0-374-20178-4.
- Agent Zigzag: The True Wartime Story of Eddie Chapman: Lover, Betrayer, Hero, Spy. London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2007. ISBN 978-0-7475-8794-1.
- For Your Eyes Only: Ian Fleming and James Bond. London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2008. ISBN 978-1-5969-1544-2.
- The Last Word: Tales from the Tip of the Mother Tongue. London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2009. ISBN 978-1-4088-0333-2.
- Operation Mincemeat: The True Spy Story that Changed the Course of World War II. London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2010. ISBN 978-0-7475-9868-8.
- Double Cross: The True Story of the D-Day Spies. London: Bloomsbury Publishing, 2012. ISBN 978-1-4088-1990-6.
- "Ben Macintyre, columnist", is Macintyre's op-ed page at The Times.