March 25, 1967
|Alma mater||Tufts University, Columbia University|
|Occupation||TV journalist, news anchor, film critic|
|Spouse(s)||Lee Russo (m. 2013)|
Benjamin "Ben" Mankiewicz (born March 25, 1967) is an American radio and television personality, known for his work as a TV journalist, news anchor, and film critic. He attended Georgetown Day High School, Tufts University, and Columbia University.
Mankiewicz was born in Washington, D.C. He is the son of Holly (née Jolley) and Frank Mankiewicz, the cousin of the screenwriter Tom Mankiewicz, grandson of screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz, and great-nephew of screenwriter, producer, and director, Joseph L. Mankiewicz. He is the brother of NBC News reporter Josh Mankiewicz. His cousin is filmmaker/television producer Nick Davis. His father is Jewish and his mother is a Mormon.
Mankiewicz married Lee Russo during 2013 TCM Cruise on Thursday Dec. 12, 2013. Robert Wagner, film actor, walked Russo down the aisle. They have one child.
Mankiewicz began his professional career as a reporter and an anchor for WCSC-TV (a CBS affiliate) in Charleston, South Carolina. In 1998, he joined WAMI in Miami, Florida, where he served as anchor of The Times, a daily news magazine show and the station’s highlight program.
He is a regular fill-in and co-host of the progressive YouTube talk show The Young Turks, along with Cenk Uygur, and hosts TYT Sports and What The Flick, two spinoff shows on The Young Turks Network. On weekends, he presents classic movies on the American cable television channel, Turner Classic Movies. From 2004–07, he hosted TCM's Cartoon Alley, shown weekly on Saturday mornings.
In 2008, he and Ben Lyons replaced Roger Ebert and Richard Roeper on the syndicated TV program At the Movies. In August 2009, Lyons and Mankiewicz were replaced by Michael Phillips from the Chicago Tribune and A.O. Scott from The New York Times.
- "Broadcasting – Google Books". Books.google.ca. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- ""Ben Mankiewicz" at ''Huffington Post''". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "Ben Mankiewicz: Why the World Cup Is Better Than Twilight". Huffingtonpost.com. 2010-07-01. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "What Mom taught me... – Inside Dateline". Insidedateline.msnbc.msn.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- Bonnett, Margie. "Frank Mankiewicz". People.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "http://www.turnerclassicmovies.com/thismonth/article/?cid=35501". Turnerclassicmovies.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- TV.com. "Ben Mankiewicz profile". Tv.com. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "Lyons, Mankiewicz named 'At the Movies' hosts". CNN.
- Ben Mankiewicz at the Internet Movie Database
- The Young Turks homepage
- TYT Network
- Turner Classic Movies article on Mankiewicz
- List of Young Turk Radio Streams