Silbermann at the South By Southwest Interactive conference in March 2012 in Austin, TX
|Occupation||CEO of Pinterest|
|Known for||Co-founding Pinterest|
Ben Silbermann (born c. 1982/1983) is an American Internet entrepreneur who co-founded and is CEO of Pinterest, a virtual pinboard which lets users organize images, links, recipes and other things. The website allows users to create and manage theme-based image collections called "pinboards". Examples include events, interests, hobbies and more. Users can browse other pinboards for inspiration, 're-pin' images to their own collections and/or 'like' photos.
Life and career
Silbermann was raised in Des Moines, Iowa. His parents, Jane Wang and Neil Silbermann, are ophthalmologists with a family practice. He is married to Divya Bhaskaran, with whom he has a son, Max. In 1998, Silbermann attended the acclaimed Research Science Institute at MIT. He graduated from Yale in 2003.
Prior to Pinterest, Silbermann worked at Google in the online advertising group; however, after a short time with the company he left and started designing his own iPhone apps with a college friend, Paul Sciarra. After their initial application, Tote, failed to gain significant traction, the cofounders teamed up with Evan Sharp to create a pinboard product that would eventually be named Pinterest. Silbermann says that the genesis of Pinterest really came from his love of collecting as a kid. “Collecting tells a lot about who you are,” he said, and when they looked at the web “there wasn’t a place to share that side of who you were.”
- "30 Under 30: The Essential Names to Know - Ben Silbermann, 29, and Evan Sharp, 29, Pinterest co-founders". Elle. May 11, 2012.
- Shontell, Alyson (March 13, 2012). "Meet Ben Silbermann, The Brilliant Young Co-Founder Of Pinterest". Business Insider.
- "Most Popular E-mail Newsletter". USA Today. 2011-10-28.
- Hempel, Jessi (April 9, 2012). "Is Pinterest the Next Facebook?". Fortune 165 (5): 109–114.
- Ben Silbermann at Startup School 2012. Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- Matthew, Panzarino (May 30, 2013). "Pinterest’s Ben Silbermann on turning his collection hobby into a product and not making money". The Next Web.