Ben Smith (footballer, born 1986)
|Full name||Benjamin David Smith|
|Date of birth||5 September 1986|
|Place of birth||Whitley Bay, England|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|2007–2008||→ Lincoln City (loan)||9||(0)|
|2009||→ Morecambe (loan)||3||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19:34, 9 May 2012 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
He has previously been on the books of Newcastle United's youth team, spending a period on loan with Middlesbrough and on trial at Leeds United, before joining Stockport County on non-contract terms on 23 March 2006. He made his debut for Doncaster in a League Cup game against Wycombe Wanderers on 24 October 2006, which lead to a run in the side as Rovers first choice goalkeeper, but the signing of ever-present goalkeeper Neil Sullivan has seen Smith's chances very limited in the first team. He went on loan to Lincoln City in November 2007.
In May 2010, Doncaster announced that he was one of 6 players not asked to re-sign.
On 29 July 2010, Smith joined League Two club Shrewsbury Town on a two-year contract after a successful trial period. In May 2012, Smith was released by the club after being deemed surplus to requirements.
On 10 August 2012 it was announced that Smith had signed with League Two club Rochdale on non-contract terms to act as cover to first choice goalkeeper Josh Lillis.
In March 2013 Smith signed for Blue Square Bet Premier team Southport FC until the end of the season. However, during his second start for the club, he suffered a torn groin muscle against Newport County, which will rule him out for the remainder of the season.
- "Reserves end all square". Middlesbrough F.C. Official Website. 12 October 2005. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- "Reserves held by Leeds". Newcastle United F.C. Official Website. 21 December 2005. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- "New goalkeeper arrives". Stockport County F.C. Official Website. 23 March 2006. Retrieved 5 April 2011.
- "Smith joins Shrimps". doncasterroversfc.co.uk (Doncaster Rovers). 16 October 2009. Archived from the original on 19 October 2009. Retrieved 16 October 2009.
- "Six players released from Rovers". Doncaster Rovers F.C. 5 May 2010. Archived from the original on 8 May 2010. Retrieved 9 May 2010.
- "Shrewsbury sign Sean McAllister & goalkeeper Ben Smith". BBC Sport. 29 July 2010. Archived from the original on 31 July 2010. Retrieved 29 July 2010.
- "Four stay, four go at Shrews". Sky Sports. 8 May 2012. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- Southport: Keeper Ben Smith to miss rest of season http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21956521