Ben Smith (ice hockey, born 1988)
July 11, 1988 |
Winston-Salem, NC, USA
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|NHL team||Chicago Blackhawks|
|NHL Draft||169th overall, 2008
On October 29, 2010 the Blackhawks recalled Smith from the AHL's Rockford IceHogs to make his NHL debut in a home game against the Edmonton Oilers. He scored his first NHL goal on April 8, 2011 against Jimmy Howard of the Detroit Red Wings. On April 15, 2011, Smith scored 2 goals against the Vancouver Canucks in a 4-3 loss in only his second NHL playoff game.
On Sunday, April 24, 2011, during Game 6 of the Western Conference quarterfinals, Smith scored the overtime goal on a rebound against the Vancouver Canucks' goaltender, Roberto Luongo, to force a Game 7 in Vancouver after the Canucks had previously been leading the series 3-0. The Blackhawks ended up losing Game 7 in overtime.
On June 17, 2013, Smith was called up to play his first Stanley Cup Finals game, a 2-0 loss to the Boston Bruins. He won the Stanley Cup on June 24, 2013, when the Blackhawks defeated the Boston Bruins in Game 6 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals.
On June 27, 2014, the Blackhawks signed Smith to a two-year contract extension. 
- "Ben Smith draft prospect profile". National Hockey League. 2010-02-03. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "Blackhawks recall forward Smith". Chicagobreakingsports.com. 2010-10-29. Archived from the original on 30 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- "Smith's tally keeps Hawks alive". Fox News. 2011-04-24. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- Ben Smith's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Ben Smith's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Ben Smith's player profile at NHL.com
|Awards and achievements|
|Len Ceglarski Sportsmanship Award
|NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player
J. T. Brown