Ben Smith (ice hockey, born 1988)
Smith with the Chicago Blackhawks in December 2014
July 11, 1988 |
Winston-Salem, NC, USA
|Height||5 ft 11 in (180 cm)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|San Jose Sharks
|National team||United States|
|NHL Draft||169th overall, 2008
On October 29, 2010 the Blackhawks recalled Smith from the AHL's Rockford IceHogs to make his NHL debut in a home game against the Edmonton Oilers. He scored his first NHL goal on April 8, 2011 against Jimmy Howard of the Detroit Red Wings. On April 15, 2011, Smith scored 2 goals against the Vancouver Canucks in a 4-3 loss in only his second NHL playoff game.
On Sunday, April 24, 2011, during Game 6 of the Western Conference quarterfinals, Smith scored the overtime goal on a rebound against the Vancouver Canucks' goaltender, Roberto Luongo, to force a Game 7 in Vancouver after the Canucks had previously been leading the series 3-0. The Blackhawks ended up losing Game 7 in overtime.
On June 17, 2013, Smith was called up to play his first Stanley Cup Finals game, a 2-0 loss to the Boston Bruins. He won the Stanley Cup on June 24, 2013, when the Blackhawks defeated the Boston Bruins in Game 6 of the 2013 Stanley Cup Finals. On June 27, 2014, the Blackhawks signed him to a two-year contract extension.
On March 2, 2015, Smith was traded by the Blackhawks to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Andrew Desjardins. He scored his first goal with the Sharks the same day in their shutout game against the Montreal Canadiens. 
Regular season and playoffs
|2014–15||San Jose Sharks||NHL||19||2||3||5||0||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and honors
|All-NCAA All-Tournament Team||2008|||
|All-NCAA All-Tournament Team||2010|||
- "Ben Smith draft prospect profile". National Hockey League. 2010-02-03. Retrieved 2010-02-03.
- "Blackhawks recall forward Smith". Chicagobreakingsports.com. 2010-10-29. Archived from the original on 30 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-29.
- "Smith's tally keeps Hawks alive". Fox News. 2011-04-24. Retrieved 2011-04-25.
- "Blackhawks agree to terms with Smith, Raanta". Chicago Blackhawks. 2014-06-27. Retrieved 2014-06-27.
- "Blackhawks trade Ben Smith to San Jose for Andrew Desjardins". Chicago Sun-Times. 2015-03-02. Retrieved 2015-03-02.
- "Montréal Canadiens at San Jose Sharks - 03/02/2015". Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- "NCAA Frozen Four Records" (PDF). NCAA.org. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "Ben Smith player profile". The Hockey News. 2013-06-19. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ben Smith.|
- Ben Smith's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Ben Smith's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
- Ben Smith's player profile at NHL.com
|Awards and achievements|
|Len Ceglarski Sportsmanship Award
|NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player
J. T. Brown