13 September 1976 |
Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
|Height||180 cm (5 ft 11 in)|
|Weight||89 kg (14 st 0 lb)|
|Source: NRL Stats, RLP|
Ben Walker (born 13 September 1976 in Toowoomba, Queensland) is an Australian former professional rugby league footballer of the 1990s and 2000s. A Five-eighth or Halfback, he played in Australia's National Rugby League for the Brisbane Broncos, Northern Eagles, Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles and South Sydney Rabbitohs, as well as in Europe's Super League for the London Broncos and Leeds Rhinos. He currently coaches the Ipswich Jets in the Queensland Cup alongside his brother Shane.
Ben Walker later joined his brother Shane at the South Sydney Rabbitohs.
- First Grade Debut: 1995 - Round 13, Broncos vs Parramatta Eels at Parramatta Stadium, 25 June
- Premierships: Member of the Broncos 1997 Super League Grand Final winning team (interchange bench)
- Top Points Scorer: 2001, Dally M Award for Top Points Scorer - 279 points with the Northern Eagles (17 tries, 102 goals, 1 field goal) in 26 games. Walker kicked 102 of his 125 shots on goal, a percentage of 82.40 for the season.
- Northern Eagles All-time Top Points Scorer: Even though he only played for the Eagles in 2001, Walkers 279 points for the season remains the club record (The Northern Eagles played from 2000-2002). The next highest scorer for the club is Brendon Reeves who scored 130 points (30 tries, 5/10 goals) in 66 games from 2000-2002.
Playing for the Northern Eagles in 2001, Walker was the equal competition leading point scorer (along with Newcastle's Andrew Johns) with 279 points. This stands as the most ever points scored by a five-eighth in a single National Rugby League season. Walker's 279 points is also the most points ever scored for the short lived Northern Eagles (2000-02) and the most points in a season by an Eagles player.
- Ben Walker profile at leedsrugby
- Round 1 Queensland Intrust Super Cup Preview rleague.com, 18 March 2011
- "Australian Secondary Schools Rugby League". Sporting Pulse. Retrieved 2008-10-10.
- "Rabbitohs sign Ben Walker". ABC News. 2005-04-18. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- "Factbox on Northern Eagles five-eight Ben Walker" (FEE REQUIRED). AAP Sports News (Australia). 2001-08-29. Retrieved 2007-11-24.
- "Broncos farewell QEII in style, Manly win golden point thriller". ABC News. 2003-05-18. Retrieved 2007-11-24.