From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bench or The Bench can refer to:
|Look up bench in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- Bench (furniture), a piece of furniture, which typically offers seating for several people.
- Workbench or lab bench, a place of work consisting of a table and perhaps places to keep an arrangement of tools and materials.
- The Bench (2000 film), Danish film
- The Bench (2007 film), a short film from The Northern Film School in the United Kingdom
- The Bench (TV series), a BBC legal drama series set in a Welsh magistrate's court
- The Bench (Hogarth), a 1758 oil-on-canvas painting by the English artist William Hogarth
- Bench, number of employees ready to fill vacant leadership and other positions: building an organization's bench strength through management training. It also indicates number of people who are not client billable or on budgeted projects waiting to be deployed on projects
- Bench (geology), a bench is a long, relatively narrow strip of relatively level or gently inclined land of differing origins that is bounded by distinctly steeper slopes above and below it. Also, in mining, it refers to steps cut into the side of open-pit mines.
Law and politics
- Bench (metonymy), certain people in a given context, associated with a particular seating area, especially in politics and law
- Bench (law), the location where a judge sits while in court, often a raised desk in a courtroom; also refers to the judiciary as a whole (to differentiate from the Bar – the lawyers or barristers); and may also mean a group of judges hearing a case and judging on a case.
- As a specific application of the former, the panel or body of justices of the peace in a specific county under the traditional English system of magistracy.
- In Yiddish, to bench means to bless, from Latin benedīcere. In Jewish-English it refers to any of a number of blessings given or recited.
- Bench language (Bench-non), a Northern Omotic language spoken in Kaffa (southeastern Ethiopia)
- Bench (woreda), a people in Ethiopia
- Jo Bench, an English death metal bass player
- Johnny Bench, a former Major League Baseball player for the Cincinnati Reds from 1967 to 1983
- Bench, players available for substitution.
- In soccer, the technical area contains the dugout (or "bench")
- Bench (weight training), a piece of weight training equipment, often very similar to the above "wide backless chair"
- Bench press, one of three power-lifting exercises
- The Bench (University of California), the student rooting section for the University of California men's basketball team
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the same title.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.