Bench (Philippine clothing brand)
||This article uses bare URLs for citations, which may be threatened by link rot. (September 2014)|
|Subsidiary of Suyen Corporation|
|Industry||Fashion - Retail|
|Founded||August 3, 1987|
|Headquarters||Bonifacio Global City, Metro Manila Philippines|
|Philippines, Singapore, Middle East, China, Hong Kong, Macau, United States|
|Divisions||BENCH/, herBENCH/, BENCH/ BODY, Pinoylab, BENCH/ Fix Salon, BENCH/ Accessories, Tofu, SuperBENCH/, bench/ To Go, BENCH/ Skin Expert|
Bench (stylized as bench/ or BENCH/) is a Philippine retail brand known for its clothing, bags, accessories, footwear and fragrances.
Bench/ was established in 1987 opening up as a small store selling men's T-shirts. The company has now grown to include a ladies' line, underwear, fragrances, housewares, snacks and other lifestyle products. The company's growth can be attributed to their use of celebrity endorsers, television commercials and giant billboards along the busy streets of the metro.
Local Fashion Brands
Local fashion brands under the Suyen Corporation include:
- BENCH/ Accessories / Tofu
- BENCH/ Body
International Fashion Brands
International fashion brands under the Suyen Corporation include:
- Aldo Accessories
- American Eagle Outfitters
- Call It Spring
- Charles & Keith
- Charles & Keith Accessories
- Cotton On
- Karen Millen
- The Face Shop
- La Senza
- Paul Boulangerie Café
- Be Connected
- BENCH/ Fix Salon
- BENCH/ Skin Expert
- Early Learning Center
- Market @ 5th
- MDF Italia
Nonie Tao, popular then as Channel V's VJ was the first international endorser for BENCH/, Popular Taiwanese boyband F4 member Jerry Yan and Chinese model Lu Yan followed in 2003 followed by Daniel Henney, Peter Ho, Patina Lin, Rock Ji and Qu Ying in 2008 for Bench Body. American Idol Season 3 finalist Jasmine Trias became the 1st American Idol alumna to endorse the clothing brand. The Pussycat Dolls' Nicole Scherzinger also endorsed the brand in 2006. A few more International celebrities are Pretty Little Liars lead star Lucy Hale, K-pop duo Super Junior's Siwon and Donghae and Australian actor Liam Hemsworth. Dominique Reighard, Allison Harvard, Sophie Sumner and Raina Hein of America's Next Top Model. American Idol Season 11 Runner-up Jessica Sanchez and Korean Superstar Lee Min Ho, as well as The Vampire Diaries star Michael Trevino, Maroon 5 frontman Adam Levine, 2PM's Nichkhun and most recently Twilight actor Taylor Lautner.
Bench: The Naked Truth Fashion Show
On September 20, 2014, Bench staged a fashion show at the Mall of Asia Arena for their underwear collection called "The Naked Truth" which garnered negative responses on social media as a result of portions of the show that displayed the objectification of women. GABRIELA slams actor Coco Martin after his controversial ramp on the show with a model on a leash like a dog. As a result of the controversial fashion show, the GABRIELA party list are to file a House Resolution to condemn it along with a condemnation for shirts that were sold in SM Department Store that trivializes rape. Former GABRIELA Party-list representative Liza Maza described the fashion show as a "dehumanzing portrayal of women". An ongoing campaign to boycott Bench was also launched by various social media users on Twitter in response to the controversial fashion show. A petition calling for Bench to take action regarding the issue of their controversial fashion show (which is a petition also shared by the call for SM Department Store to take additional action on shirts that trivializes rape that were sold and later pulled out from their stores) has been made as well. Three days after the said controversial fashion show, Bench has released a public apology stating that they "apologize to the public for all the offensive elements of the show, 'The Naked Truth'." and that they will take the concerns raised seriously and will serve as a lesson for their next shows. They also stated on the same statement that "We shall continue to uphold the dignity of women and our commitment will remain so." As of September 24, 2014, Bench has taken down their public apology post on Facebook. 
- "American Eagle Now in Philippines". Yahoo Finance. 7 September 2012. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "FunFare with Ricardo F. Lo". Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "2PM's Nichkhun becomes the newest Global Benchsetter for Philippine clothing brand "Bench"". Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Noypistuff: Taylor Lautner For Bench: 'Twilight' Actor Newest Endorser Of Local Clothing Brand". Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Naked contradictions at 'The Naked Truth'". Yahoo News Philippines. 23 September 2014. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "GABRIELA Slams Coco Martin's The Naked Truth Act w/ Model on a Leash -". Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Danah and Stacy. "PLUMP". Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Gabriela to file House resolution vs 'anti-women' T-shirt, Bench fashion show - Inquirer Entertainment". Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Former party-list solon slams Bench for 'dehumanizing portrayal of women'". GMA News Online. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Tweets about #boycottBENCH hashtag on Twitter". Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Petition · Mr. Henry Sy/ Shoemart and Mr. Ben Chan/ BENCH : We demand actions not words! · Change.org". Change.org. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Bench’s Official Statement On The Offensive Elements Of “The Naked Truth”". Retrieved 24 January 2015.