Bend Sinister (band)
|Origin||Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada|
|Genres||Indie rock, Progressive rock|
|Labels||File Under Music|
The band formed in 2001 and began playing as many bar shows as they possibly could in their home town of Kelowna, British Columbia. After their move to Vancouver BC, selling out a four-song EP, and acquiring a new drummer and guitarist, the band sought out local producer Shawn Cole to put together what is now their first full-length album Through the Broken City. The band did three consecutive nationwide tours in support of the album.
After gaining experience from the road, Bend Sinister returned to the studio to record a few new songs. These songs included the single "Time Breaks Down", which moved the band into uncharted territory and captured the attention of Distort Entertainment president, Greg Below.
In 2006, Bend Sinister switched labels to newly formed sister division of Distort Entertainment, Distort Light.
In January 2006, the band performed a set of six songs in session at CBC Television Studio 2. Later, CBC featured the band in a short film, "Meat the Band - Bend Sinister", on the television show ZeD. The band released its third album, a self-titled EP, on September 4, 2007 and toured Canada supporting it under the sponsorship of CBC Radio 3, including a stop at Pop Montreal on October 7, 2007.
After a few more changes to their lineup, Bend Sinister returned to the studio once again in 2008 in order to put together what was to become their second full-length album, Stories of Brothers, Tales of Lovers. It was released on October 21, 2008. Since then, the band has welcomed new guitarists Henry Alcock-White and Joseph Blood and released a music video for their song "The Same Things".
In March 2009, they joined the Sound of Fiction Tour along with Inward Eye and Mobile. Bend Sinister has played Sled Island Music Festival two consecutive years (2008 and 2009) in Calgary, Alberta. The band has also played at many small venues, and even schools like Tom Baines, also in Calgary.
Enter 2012, Bend Sinister is currently about to embark on a month long Canadian Tour supporting Electric Six, as well as supporting their brand new EP "On My Mind" with brand new single "Give it a Rest" which has already started reaching radio play, and debuted at 25 on CBC Radio 3. A full length is to follow on July 10.
- The Warped Pane
- Through the Broken City
- Bend Sinister (EP)
- Stories of Brothers, Tales of Lovers
- Spring Romance (EP)
- Small Fame
- Chong, Kevin. (February 28, 2007) "Naming rites", CBC Canada. Accessed September 24, 2007.
- Bend Sinister Biography
- Bend Sinister In Session CBC Radio 3. Accessed September 24, 2007.
- Meat the Band - Bend Sinister March 14, 2006. Accessed September 24, 2007.
- Bend Sinister Pop Montreal. Accessed September 24, 2007.
- http://www.teamdistort.com/bands/bendsinister/ Bend Sinister On Distort Entertainment
- http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46337692137 Facebook Page For Sound Of Fiction Tour
- Bend Sinister Official Site
- Bend Sinister on Distort
- Bend Sinister on CBCRadio3
- Bend Sinister at Myspace
- Dundon, Kelsey. (May 5, 2005). The Return of 'Prog Rock' The Tyee Accessed September 24, 2007.
- Newton, Tony. (June 2005) Bend Sinister: Prepare to Break the City The Nerve Magazine Accessed September 24, 2007.
- Story, Jared. (September 20, 2007. "Bend Sinister" Review. Uptown Magazine. Accessed September 24, 2007.