October 6, 1935|
New York City
|Died||April 7, 2011|
On November 19, 1974, Benedetto Aloi was indicted in Brooklyn along with 156 other mobsters on perjury charges. He was accused of lying to a grand jury that what investigating police collusion with an illegal gambling ring.
On June 28, 1984, Aloi was indicted on loansharking charges. Prosecutors alleged that he was involved with Resource Capital Group a company in Lake Success, New York, that lent over $1 million in a year and a half at interest rates of 2 percent or more per week.
In May 1990, Aloi was indicted in the famous "Windows Case" along with other members of four of the New York crime families. In the Windows case, the crime families used their control over local construction unions and companies to fix the bid prices offered to the New York Housing Authority for thermal pane windows in its housing projects.
On May 18, 1991, Aloi was convicted of one count of extortion and a related conspiracy count in the Windows case. Under normal sentencing guidelines, Aloi might have received a three- to five-year sentence. However, due to his criminal record, his high rank in the Colombo family, and the high profile of the case, the judge gave Aloi 16 years and eight months in prison.
- Lubasch, Arnold H. (October 18, 1991). "Windows Jury Finds 3 Guilty And Acquits 5". New York Times. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- "Alleged Lieutenant of Cosa Nostra Held". New York Times. October 4, 1963. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- Breasted, Mary (November 20, 1974). "157 Indicted Here As Criminal Ring". New York Times. Retrieved 28 November 2011.
- "THE CITY; 13 Are Charged As Loan Sharks". New York Times. June 29, 1984. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- Suspected New York Mob Leaders Are Indicted in Contract Rigging (May 31, 1990) New York Times
- "2 Men Sentenced In 'Windows Trial'". New York Times. March 28, 1993. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- Bureau of Prisons Inmate Locator: Benedetto Aloi
- Ex-mafia kingpin: G-man helped me beat the system by Jerry Capeci (April 21, 2011) This Week In Gang Land
- "Benedetto Aloi". Tributes.com. Retrieved 13 October 2011.
- Sifakis, Carl. The Mafia Encyclopedia: Third Edition. Checkmark Books; 3 edition (June 30, 2005) ISBN 0-8160-5695-1
- Capeci, Jerry. The Complete Idiots Guide to the Mafia. Indianapolis, Alpha, Alpha; 2 edition (January 2005) ISBN 1-59257-305-3
- Jacobs, James B., Coleen Friel and Robert Radick. Gotham Unbound: How New York City Was Liberated from the Grip of Organized Crime. New York: NYU Press, 2001. ISBN 0-8147-4247-5
- Raab, Selwyn. Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires. New York: St. Martin Press, 2005. ISBN 0-312-30094-8