August 26, 1968|
|Died||September 17, 1997(aged 29)|
Cause of death
|Other names||Woodward Corridor Killer|
|11 terms of life imprisonment|
Span of killings
|December 14, 1991–August 21, 1992|
Benjamin (Tony) Atkins (August 26, 1968 – September 17, 1997), also known as the Woodward Corridor Killer, was an American serial killer who killed 11 women in Detroit, Michigan during a period of nine months between December 1991 and August 1992.
All the victims were found in vacant buildings, all were raped and strangled. The majority of the women were murdered in Highland Park.[better source needed] Many of the victims were working as prostitutes. Atkins said he was motivated by a hatred of prostitution. During his trial, it was revealed that Atkins himself was raped at age 10 and witnessed his mother engage in prostitution.[better source needed]
- Darlene Saunders, 35, attacked, raped, and sodomized in October 1991 in Highland Park. She survived.
- Debbie Ann Friday, 30, found raped, strangled, and sodomized on December 14, 1991 in Highland Park
- Bertha Jean Mason, 26, found strangled, raped, and sodomized on December 30, 1991 in Detroit
- Patricia Cannon George, 36, found strangled, raped and sodomized on January 3, 1992 in Detroit
- Vickie Truelove, 39, found sodomized, strangled, raped, January 25, 1992 in Detroit
- Valerie Chalk, 34, found repeatedly sodomized, raped, and strangled February 17, 1992 at Monterey Motel, Room 68, Highland Park
- Juanita Hardy, 23, found raped, and strangled at Monterey Motel, Room 35, February 17, 1992
- Unknown female's body found raped, strangled at Monterey Motel, Room 18, February 17, 1992
- Brenda Mitchell, 38, found sexually raped strangled April 9, 1992 in Highland Park
- Vicki Beasley-Brown, 43, found raped, andstrangled April 15, 1992 in Highland Park
- Joanne O'Rourke, 40, found repeatedly raped, strangled June 15, 1992 in Highland Park
- Ocinena Waymer, 22, found beaten, raped, sodomized and strangled August 21, 1992 in Highland Park
- "Offender Tracking Information System (OTIS) - Offender Profile". The State of Michigan. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- Gribben, Mark. "John Eric Armstrong: The Model Sailor". Crime Library. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- "Crack addict confesses he killed women". Kingman Daily Miner / AP. 1992-08-30. Retrieved 2009-02-27.
- Wilson, Janet (29 Aug 1992). "Suspect Describes Raping, Cursing, Killing -- 11 Times" (PDF). (reprinted from) Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- Wilson, Janet (22 April 1994). "Atkins Convicted of Killing 11 Women" (PDF). Crime in Detroit. Detroit Free Press.
- Swickard, Joe (11 October 1997). "Serial Killer Dies 4 Years into 11 Life Sentences" (PDF). Crime in Detroit. Detroit Free Press.
|This United States biographical article related to crime is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|