Bratt in May 2010
December 16, 1963 |
San Francisco, California, United States
|Ethnicity||German, English, Austrian, and Quechuas|
|Education||University of California, Santa Barbara (M.F.A. 1986)|
|Known for||Rey Curtis on Law & Order|
|Notable work(s)||Despicable Me 2, Miss Congeniality, and Demolition Man|
|Television||Law & Order and Private Practice|
|Spouse(s)||Talisa Soto (m. 2002)|
Benjamin Bratt (born December 16, 1963) is an American actor. He is best known for his role as Detective Rey Curtis on the legal/crime drama series Law & Order and his appearances in the movies Miss Congeniality, Demolition Man, Blood in Blood Out, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Traffic, La Mission, Despicable Me 2, Piñero and The Lesser Blessed. He also recently became known for his role of Dr. Jake Riley on the medical drama series Private Practice as well as for his role as Steve Navarro on the series 24.
Bratt was born in San Francisco, California, the son of Eldy (née Banda), a nurse, and Peter Bratt, Sr., a sheet metal worker. Bratt's mother is a Peruvian Indigenous activist of the Quechua ethnic group; born in Perú, she moved to the U.S. at age nine. His father was an American, of German, English, and Austrian descent. They married December 30, 1960, in San Francisco, but divorced in September 1967. Bratt's paternal grandfather, George Cleveland Bratt (March 5, 1893 – March 29, 1984), was a Broadway actor. He married Bratt's grandmother, Wiltrude Hildner, on August 6, 1920, in Detroit, Michigan.
As a child, Bratt went with his mother and siblings to participate in the 1969 Native American occupation of Alcatraz. Today, Bratt is an active supporter of such Native American causes as the American Indian College Fund and We Shall Remain, a mini-series and multi-media project, narrated by Bratt, that establishes Native history as an essential part of American history from PBS' acclaimed series American Experience. His brother, Peter Bratt, wrote and directed the 1996 film Follow Me Home, casting Benjamin as Abel. In 2009 Peter wrote and directed the independent film La Mission also starring Benjamin as Che Rivera, an inhabitant of the Mission District. Bratt has for years been a strong supporter and board member of San Francisco Bay Area's Friendship House Association of American Indians and Native American Health Center. He attended Lowell High School in San Francisco, where he was a member of the Lowell Forensic Society. Bratt earned a B.F.A. at the University of California, Santa Barbara in 1986, where he also joined the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity. Although accepted into the M.F.A. program at the American Conservatory Theater in San Francisco, he left before receiving his degree to star in the television series Juarez...
Bratt's best-known role has been that of Detective Reynaldo Curtis on the television show Law & Order. In 1999, he was nominated for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for his work on the series. His more popular films include Miss Congeniality, Blood in Blood out and Traffic. On June 23, 2009, Bratt appeared on The View to promote The Cleaner. On October 23, 2009, it was announced that Bratt will return as Detective Curtis on Law & Order. Curtis reunited with his former boss, Lt. Anita van Buren (S. Epatha Merkerson), which aired on December 11, 2009. He left the show that same year to continue his film career. In 2009, Bratt performed in The People Speak, a documentary feature film that uses dramatic and musical performances of the letters, diaries, and speeches of everyday Americans, based on historian Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States. In 2012, Bratt was passionate about his opportunity to play a Tlicho Indian in the film The Lesser Blessed, a project dear to his heart because of his own Native background. He voiced El Macho, the main antagonist, in Despicable Me 2, and reprised his role from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs as Manny the cameraman in Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2.
In 1998, he began dating actress Julia Roberts. He escorted her to the 2001 Academy Awards ceremony, at which she won the Academy Award for Best Actress. Four months later, they announced that they were no longer a couple. In 2002, he (along with Priscilla López) received the Rita Moreno HOLA Award for Excellence from the Hispanic Organization of Latin Actors (HOLA). In 2002, he began dating and then married his pregnant girlfriend, actress Talisa Soto, on April 13, 2002, in San Francisco. The two met ten years earlier during the casting audition of Blood In Blood Out and afterwards they saw each other on and off. It was not until the filming of Piñero that they began to develop a relationship. Their first child, daughter Sophia Rosalinda Bratt, was born on December 6, 2002; their second child, son Mateo Bravery Bratt, was born on October 3, 2005, in Los Angeles.
|1988||Police Story: Gladiator School||Officer Dave Ramirez|
|1989||Nasty Boys||Eduardo Cruz|
|1991||One Good Cop||Felix|
|1991||Chains of Gold||Carlos|
|1993||Blood In Blood Out||Paco Aguilar|
|1993||Demolition Man||Officer Alfredo Garcia|
|1994||James A. Michener's Texas||Benito Garza|
|1994||Clear and Present Danger||Captain Ramírez|
|1994||The River Wild||Ranger Johnny|
|1996||Follow Me Home||Abel|
|1996||Woman Undone||Jim Mercer|
|1998||Exiled: A Law & Order Movie||Det. Rey Curtis|
|2000||The Next Best Thing||Ben Cooper|
|2000||The Last Producer||Damon Black|
|2000||Red Planet||Lt. Ted Santen|
|2000||Miss Congeniality||Eric Matthews|
|2001||After the Storm||Arno|
|2005||The Great Raid||Lt. Col. Henry Mucci|
|2007||Love in the Time of Cholera||Dr. Juvenal Urbino|
|2008||Trucker||Leonard "Len" Bonner|
|2009||Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs||Manny||Voice|
|2009||The People Speak||Himself|
|2009||La Mission||Che Rivera|
|2013||The Lesser Blessed||Jed|
|2013||Despicable Me 2||Eduardo Perez/El Macho||Voice|
|2013||Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2||Manny||Voice|
|2016||Ride Along 2||Filming|
|1987||Juarez||Sgt. Rosendo Juarez|
|1988||Lovers, Partners & Spies||Estaban|
|1988–1989||Knightwatch||Tony Maldonado||9 episodes|
|1989–1990||Nasty Boys||Eduardo Cruz||13 episodes|
|1995–1999||Law & Order||Det. Rey Curtis||95 episodes|
|1996–1999||Homicide: Life on the Street||Det. Rey Curtis||3 episodes|
|2005–2006||E-Ring||Lt. Col. Jim Tisnewski||22 episodes|
|2008||The Andromeda Strain||Dr. Jeremy Stone|
|2008–2009||The Cleaner||William Banks||26 episodes|
|2009||American Experience||Narrator||3 episodes|
|2009||Law & Order||Det. Rey Curtis||1 episode|
|2010–present||Modern Family||Javier Delgado||3 episodes|
|2011–2013||Private Practice||Dr. Jake Reilly||36 episodes|
|2014||Adventure Time||Big Red Mad Peebles (Princess Bubblegum)||Voice
|2014||24: Live Another Day||Steve Navarro||10 episodes|
2009 Category: Best Actor in Drama (Year in Television) for The Cleaner (2008) (TV)
2002 Category: Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture for Pinero (2001)
1999 Category: Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series for Law & Order (1990)
1999 Category: Outstanding Actor in Made-for-Television Movie or Mini-Series for Exiled (1998) (TV Movie)
1998 Category: Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series for Law & Order (1990)
Blockbuster Entertainment Awards
2001 Category: Favorite Supporting Actor – Comedy for Miss Congeniality (2000)
- Category: Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series for Law & Order (1990)
- Rita Moreno HOLA Award for Excellence
Imagen Foundation Awards
- Category: Best Actor – Television for The Cleaner (2008) (TV)
NCLR Bravo Awards
- Category: Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series for Law & Order (1990)
- Category: Performance in a Drama Series Multi-Episode Storyline for The Cleaner (2008) (TV)
Screen Actors Guild Awards
- Category: Outstanding Performance by the Cast of a Theatrical Motion Picture for Traffic (2000) shared with Steven Bauer; James Brolin; Don Cheadle
- Category: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series for Law & Order (1990) shared with Angie Harmon; Steven Hill; Jesse L. Martin
- Category: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series for Law & Order (1990) shared with Angie Harmon; Steven Hill; Carey Lowell
- Category: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series for Law & Order (1990) shared with Steven Hill; Carey Lowell; S. Epatha Merkerson
- Category: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series for Law & Order (1990) shared with Jill Hennessy; Steven Hill; Carey Lowell
- Category: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series for Law & Order (1990) shared with Jill Hennessy; Steven Hill; S. Epatha Merkerson
- "Benjamin Bratt Biography (1963–)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "How Hollywood Gave 'Cholera' a Delicate Treatment". The Washington Post. November 11, 2007. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "California Marriage Index 1960–1985". Ancestry.com. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "Colorado Divorce Index 1966–1984". Ancestry.com. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- Liz Braun (November 14, 2007). "Benjamin Bratt gets personal". Jam.canoe.ca. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "Benjamin Bratt Biography on Yahoo! Movies". Movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "Michigan Marriages 1868–1925". Search.labs.familysearch.org. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "Benjamin Bratt -Native Networks". Nativenetworks.si.edu. December 2, 2001. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "We Shall Remain". PBS.org. April 13, 2009. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "Friendship House". Friendshiphousesf.org. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
- "Law and Order Comes to UCSB". Coastlines. Summer 2011. Retrieved October 8, 2014.
- Benjamin Bratt. "Benjamin Bratt Returning to Law & Order". TVGuide.com.
- Cupryn,Isabel. "Interview: Anitca Doron talks 'The Lesser Blessed'". criticizethis.com.
- Silverman, Stephen M. (July 11, 2001). "Julia Roberts Lays It on the Line – David Letterman, Julia Roberts". People. Retrieved November 13, 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Benjamin Bratt.|
- Benjamin Bratt at the Internet Movie Database
- Benjamin Bratt at AllMovie
- Benjamin Bratt profile at NNDB
- Rare 1989–1990 Footage of Benjamin Bratt Behind the Scenes of Dick Wolf's "Nasty Boys"
- Article "Emmy-Nominated Actor Benjamin Bratt"