Benjamin Cravatt III
|Benjamin F Cravatt|
|Institutions||The Scripps Research Institute
Benjamin Franklin Cravatt III is a professor in and chair of the Department of Chemical Physiology at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California. Considered a co-inventor of activity based proteomics and a substantial contributor to research on the endocannabinoid system, he is a prominent figure in the nascent field of chemical biology. Cravatt was elected to the National Academy of Sciences in 2014.
Cravatt attended Stanford University, earning BS in the Biological Sciences and a BA in History. He then received a PhD in Macromolecular and Cellular Structure and Chemistry from The Scripps Research Institute in 1996, where he worked under the joint supervision of Dale L. Boger and Richard Lerner. His early contributions to the cannabinoid field include identification and characterization of the endocannabinoid-terminating enzyme fatty acid amide hydrolase, FAAH, as well as the isolation of the novel soporific compound oleamide from cerebrospinal fluid. Since these contributions, his research program has expanded to include proteomics, metabolomics, and chemical methods for functionally annotating the roles of serine hydrolase enzymes in cancer and endocannabinoid signaling.
Cravatt is a Cope and Searle Scholar, and the co-founder of both Abide Therapeutics and ActivX Biosciences. He currently serves as an Associate Editor for the Journal of the American Chemical Society, and previously served in the same capacity for Chemical Science (journal).
- 2014 National Academy of Sciences New Members
- Bogyo, Matthew; Cravatt, Benjamin F. (2007). "Genomics and proteomics From genes to function: advances in applications of chemical and systems biology". Current Opinion in Chemical Biology 11: 1–3. doi:10.1016/j.cbpa.2006.12.029.
- Cravatt B.F., Giang D.K., Mayfield S.P., Boger D.L., Lerner, R.A.; "Molecular characterization of an enzyme that degrades neuromodulatory fatty-acid amides"; Nature 384:83 (1996). doi:10.1038/384083a0 PMID 8900284
- Cravatt BF, Prospero-Garcia O, Siuzdak G, Gilula NB, Henriksen SJ, Boger DL, Lerner RA. Chemical characterization of a family of brain lipids that induce sleep. Science. 1995 268(5216):1506-9. doi:10.1126/science.7770779 PMID 7770779
- The Scripps Research Institute
- The Cravatt Lab at TSRI
- Abide Therapeutics
- ActivX Biosciences
- TR35 Young Innovator 2002
- Interview with Ben Cravatt on the website of the Royal Society of Chemistry.
|This article about a United States businessperson is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|