Kirsten with Dresden in 2008.
|Full name||Benjamin Kirsten|
|Date of birth||2 June 1987|
|Place of birth||Riesa, East Germany|
|Height||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)|
|1990–2006||Bayer 04 Leverkusen|
|2006–2008||Bayer 04 Leverkusen II||2||(0)|
|2008||SV Waldhof Mannheim||0||(0)|
|2008–2011||Dynamo Dresden II||35||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 9 August 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
In 1989 at the age of two, Kirsten began to play football at Dynamo Dresden and in July 1990 left with his father Ulf Kirsten for Bayer 04 Leverkusen where he played the following 16 years with the side's youth team.
In July 2006, Kirsten was promoted to Bayer 04's reserve squad in the Regionalliga. He played two games for the team who were coached by his father Ulf Kirsten. In January 2008, Kirsten left Bayer 04 after seventeen years and six months to join SV Waldhof Mannheim. On 16 June 2008, after only half a year with Waldhof he returned to Dynamo Dresden, where he made his debut – his first professional game – on 2 May 2009 against Fortuna Düsseldorf. Kirsten played the entire ninety minutes, conceding one goal.
In his first two years Kirsten regularly featured for Dynamo Dresden II. He was part of the team that won the Sachsenliga and Sachsenpokal in 2009. Kirsten was involved in a controversy after the cup win, when he was seen to light a firework on the pitch. Dynamo had previously been punished for similar incidents from their fans, and Kirsten was suspended for three games and fined € 4,000 (about £ 3,500) for his behaviour.
On match day 25 of the 2010–11 season team manager Matthias Maucksch made Kirsten to the regular first-choice keeper of Dynamo Dresden. With his persuasive performances Kirsten had a major part in that Dynamo reached the third place at the end of the season and after beating VfL Osnabrück in the relegation matches promoted to the 2. Bundesliga.
- "Keine Chance gegen Papa Ulf" (in German). bild.de. 7 July 2008. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Dynamo Dresden verpflichtet Jens Grembowietz und Benjamin Kirsten" (in German). dynamo-dresden.de. 16 June 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-06-19.
- "Der Sohn von Stürmer Ulf Kirsten steht im Dynamo-Tor" (in German). derwesten.de. 1 May 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Kirsten sorgt für Eklat" (in German). kicker.de. 18 June 2009. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- Klein, Daniel (21 February 2011). "Wird beim Torwart-Roulette falsch gespielt?" (in German). sz-online.de. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Prominente Väter, talentierte Kinder" (in German). soccer-warriors.de. 2 July 2007. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- "Dynamo schnappt sich Kirsten" (in German). kicker.de. 16 June 2008. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- Benjamin Kirsten at Dynamo-Dresden.de (German)
- Benjamin Kirsten at fussballdaten.de (German)
- Benjamin Kirsten at worldfootball.net