Bennington Township, Michigan
|Bennington Township, Michigan|
Location of Bennington Township within Shiawassee County, Michigan
|• Total||36.8 sq mi (95.3 km2)|
|• Land||36.5 sq mi (94.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.8 km2)|
|Elevation||823 ft (251 m)|
|• Density||82.7/sq mi (31.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1625913|
Bennington Township is a civil township of Shiawassee County in the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the township population was 3,168. As of 2010, Michigan's center of population was located in the southeast corner of the township.
- Pittsburg is an unincorporated community in the township. It was named for the industrial heritage of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It is located at latitude .
- Bennington is an unincorporated community in the township. It was named after Bennington, Vermont from which some of the settlers came. It is located at  at Bennington and Ruess Rds.
Bennington Township was organized in 1838.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 36.8 square miles (95 km2), of which 36.5 square miles (95 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) (0.87%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,168 people, 1,252 households, and 906 families residing in the township. The population density was 82.7 per square mile (31.9/km²). There were 1,252 housing units at an average density of 30.4 per square mile (11.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.58% White, 0.17% African American, 0.30% Native American, 0.46% Asian, 0.53% from other races, and 0.96% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.72% of the population.
There were 1,252 households out of which 35.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 75.5% were married couples living together, 5.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 15.6% were non-families. 12.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 4.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.80 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the township the population was spread out with 26.1% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 28.1% from 45 to 64, and 9.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 100.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.6 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $54,786, and the median income for a family was $60,609. Males had a median income of $40,465 versus $31,528 for females. The per capita income for the township was $21,841. About 2.3% of families and 3.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.1% of those under age 18 and 4.6% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bennington Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Pittsburg, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Bennington, Michigan
- "Bennington, Michigan". Village and City Histories of Shiawassee County, Michigan. Retrieved 2008-02-27.[dead link]
- Walter Romig, Michigan Place Names, p. 55