Benoît Battistelli (born July 12, 1950, Paris, France) is a French civil servant and current president of the European Patent Office (EPO). Before taking up this post, he was head of the French National Intellectual Property Institute (INPI).
Benoît Battistelli graduated from the École Nationale d'Administration (ÉNA) in 1978. From 1978 to 2002, he held various posts in French government departments and the French embassies in Italy, India and Turkey. Later, from June 2002 to April 2004, he was assistant director of staff of Nicole Fontaine, former President of the European Parliament.
From May 12, 2004 to June-July 2010, he headed (more precisely, he was the directeur général, i.e. chief executive officer) of the French National Intellectual Property Institute (INPI, standing for Institut national de la propriété industrielle in French), in charge of patents, trademarks and industrial design rights.
He was also chairman of the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation. He was elected to the post of Deputy Chairman of the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation on December 5, 2006 for a three-year term. Then, later the Administrative Council appointed him as its Chairman for a three-year term, from 5 March 2009 until March 2012, although his election in March 2010 as President of the European Patent Office meant that he had to step down as Chairman of the Administrative Council. . In 2008, he had been named as one of the potential candidates to succeed Kamil Idris to lead the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), but Francis Gurry was eventually selected for the post.
On March 1, 2010, he was elected president of the European Patent Office (EPO), after a long and controversial series of meetings of the Administrative Council. He took up the post on 1 July 2010, for a term of five years. He is the sixth president of the EPO, the second Frenchman to hold the post, and the first president who has previously held the post of Chairman of the Administrative Council.
References and notes
- EPO web site, President, Benoît Battistelli, August 2011.
- (French) Arrêté du 25 juin 2010 portant nomination du directeur général par intérim de l'Institut national de la propriété industrielle, NOR: ECEZ1015755A, JORF n°0148 du 29 juin 2010 page 11672, texte n° 63. Consulted on July 1, 2010 (legifrance.gouv.fr).
- (French) Les forums du financement et de l’Innovation web site, Benoît Batistelli. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- (French) INPI web site, Le Conseil d'administration. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- France names new patent office chief, Managing Intellectual Property, Weekly News, May 2004. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- European Patent Office (EPO) web site, Administrative Council, Composition. Consulted on March 8, 2009.
- (French), INPI web site, Benoît Battistelli, Directeur général de l'INPI, est élu vice-président du conseil d'administration de l'Office européen des brevets (OEB), Communiqués de presse (Press release), December 6, 2006. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- EPO web site, Benoît Battistelli to head the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation, News, December 11, 2008. Consulted on December 11, 2008.
- Eklavya Gupte, Race to succeed Idris underway, Managing Intellectual Property, January 11, 2008. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- EPO web site, Applications received for the post of EPO President, 17 September 2009. His way of presidency in the EPO remained controversial, he created internal turmoils by revolutioning the salary method and creating an internal investigation unit which initially he used against the EPO staff representation. Great concerns exists also about his involvment in the nomination of externals in key positions among the EPO i.e. HR departmentConsulted on September 18, 2009.
- EPO web site, Benoît Battistelli elected EPO President, News, 1 March 2010. Consulted on 2 March 2010.
- (German) V. Bernau, Schwieriges Amt, schwere Wahl, Süddeutsche Zeitung online, 1 March 2010. Consulted on 2 March 2010.
- (French) Saint-Germain-en-Laye web site, Elus de la majorité. Consulted on March 6, 2010.
- Benoît Battistelli at the European Patent Office
- Benoît Battistelli at Who's Who in France
- (French) Interview (dailymotion.com) (JoCIF)
- Questions by epi to the candidates for the position as President of the EPO, Mr. Benoît Battistelli by the European Patent Institute (epi), October 2009.
|President of the European Patent Office
|Chairman of the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation