Benoît Battistelli (born July 12, 1950, Paris, France) is a French civil servant and current president of the European Patent Office (EPO). Before taking up this post, he was head of the French National Intellectual Property Institute (INPI).
Benoît Battistelli graduated from the École Nationale d'Administration (ÉNA, English: National School of Administration) in 1978. From 1978 to 2002, he held various posts in French government departments and the French embassies in Italy, India and Turkey. Later, from June 2002 to April 2004, he was assistant director of staff of Nicole Fontaine, former President of the European Parliament.
From May 12, 2004 to June–July 2010, he headed (more precisely, he was the directeur général, i.e. chief executive officer) the French National Intellectual Property Institute (INPI, standing for Institut national de la propriété industrielle in French), in charge of patents, trademarks and industrial design rights.
He was also chairman of the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation. He was elected to the post of Deputy Chairman of the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation on December 5, 2006 for a three-year term. Then, later the Administrative Council appointed him as its Chairman for a three-year term, from 5 March 2009 until March 2012, although his election in March 2010 as President of the European Patent Office meant that he had to step down as Chairman of the Administrative Council.
In 2008, he had been named as one of the potential candidates to succeed Kamil Idris to lead the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), but Francis Gurry was eventually selected for the post.
On March 1, 2010, he was elected president of the European Patent Office (EPO), after a long and controversial series of meetings of the Administrative Council. He took up the post on 1 July 2010, for a term of five years. He is the sixth president of the EPO, the second Frenchman to hold the post, and the first president who has previously held the post of Chairman of the Administrative Council. In June 2014, Battistelli's term of office as EPO President was extended for a further three years until 30 June 2018, amidst concerns from the EPO staff.
Battistelli's presidency of the EPO has indeed encountered a significant level of staff discontent and has been marked by industrial actions organised by the EPO staff union with a noticeable escalation of the conflict during 2014. Discontent on the part of staff has been attributed to Battistelli's style of management which, according to a report in the German newspaper "Die Zeit", is perceived by staff as being unduly autocratic and unsuited to a European intergovernmental body such as the EPO.
Local political life
- EPO web site, President, Benoît Battistelli, August 2011.
- (French) Arrêté du 25 juin 2010 portant nomination du directeur général par intérim de l'Institut national de la propriété industrielle, NOR: ECEZ1015755A, JORF n°0148 du 29 juin 2010 page 11672, texte n° 63. Consulted on July 1, 2010 (legifrance.gouv.fr).
- (French) Les forums du financement et de l’Innovation web site, Benoît Batistelli. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- (French) INPI web site, Le Conseil d'administration. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- France names new patent office chief, Managing Intellectual Property, Weekly News, May 2004. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- European Patent Office (EPO) web site, Administrative Council, Composition. Consulted on March 8, 2009.
- (French), INPI web site, Benoît Battistelli, Directeur général de l'INPI, est élu vice-président du conseil d'administration de l'Office européen des brevets (OEB), Communiqués de presse (Press release), December 6, 2006. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- EPO web site, Benoît Battistelli to head the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation, News, December 11, 2008. Consulted on December 11, 2008.
- Eklavya Gupte, Race to succeed Idris underway, Managing Intellectual Property, January 11, 2008. Consulted on March 23, 2008.
- EPO web site, Applications received for the post of EPO President, 17 September 2009. Consulted on September 18, 2009.
- EPO web site, Benoît Battistelli elected EPO President, News, 1 March 2010. Consulted on 2 March 2010.
- (German) V. Bernau, Schwieriges Amt, schwere Wahl, Süddeutsche Zeitung online, 1 March 2010. Consulted on 2 March 2010.
- "Battistelli given three-year extension at EPO", World Intellectual Property Review, 30 June 2014
- "EPO President Battistelli’s Term Extended Amid Staff Concerns", Intellectual Property Watch, 30 June 2014
- "Machtfülle, die es in Europas Behörden sonst kaum gibt". Süddeutsche Zeitung (in German). 28 June 2014. Retrieved 4 July 2014.
- "Streit beim Europäischen Patentamt eskaliert", Süddeutsche Zeitung, 11.03.2014
- "European Patent Office Staff Calls Strike; President Battistelli Reacts", Intellectual Property Watch, 19.03.2014
- "EPO facing more strike action", World Intellectual Property Review, 28.05.2014
- "EPO staff in Battistelli fight" ", World Intellectual Property Review, 28.05.2014
- "Umstritten und souverän", Die Zeit, 30.03.2014
- English translation of "Umstritten und souverän": "Controversial and sovereign"
- "Élus de la majorité "Union pour Saint-Germain"". Mairie de Saint Germain en Laye. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Barbaux, Aurélie (September 20, 2012). "Le stratège du brevet européen" [The strategist of the European patent] (in French). L'Usine Nouvelle n° 3299. Retrieved 12 July 2014.
- Benoît Battistelli at the European Patent Office
- Benoît Battistelli at Who's Who in France
- (French) Interview (dailymotion.com) (JoCIF)
- Questions by epi to the candidates for the position as President of the EPO, Mr. Benoît Battistelli by the European Patent Institute (epi), October 2009.[dead link]
|President of the European Patent Office
|Chairman of the Administrative Council of the European Patent Organisation