Location of Benoit, Mississippi
|• Total||0.99 sq mi (2.56 km2)|
|• Land||0.97 sq mi (2.52 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.03 km2)|
|Elevation||141 ft (43 m)|
|• Density||490/sq mi (189.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0666829|
Benoit // is a town in Bolivar County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 477 at the 2010 census, down from 611 in 2000. The 1956 movie Baby Doll was shot on location at the Burrus House in Benoit; many local residents played in minor roles.
Benoit is located at (33.650500, -91.008560).
As of the census of 2000, there were 611 people, 193 households, and 153 families residing in the town. The population density was 627.2 people per square mile (243.2/km²). There were 211 housing units at an average density of 216.6 per square mile (84.0/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 21.28% White, 76.27% African American, 0.98% from other races, and 1.47% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.29% of the population.
There were 193 households out of which 38.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 30.6% were married couples living together, 42.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 20.7% were non-families. 19.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.17 and the average family size was 3.57.
In the town the population was spread out with 37.0% under the age of 18, 10.8% from 18 to 24, 24.2% from 25 to 44, 17.5% from 45 to 64, and 10.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 26 years. For every 100 females there were 85.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 68.9 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $18,750, and the median income for a family was $18,929. Males had a median income of $30,357 versus $20,750 for females. The per capita income for the town was $7,813. About 43.1% of families and 49.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 64.0% of those under age 18 and 18.2% of those age 65 or over.
- Lavarus Lakeith Giles, professional American and Canadian football running back
- Archie Moore, light heavyweight world champion boxer (1952–1962)
- Robert Powell, composer, organist, and choir director
- Eddie Taylor, electric blues guitarist and singer
Benoit is served by the Benoit School District.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Benoit town, Mississippi". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Turner Classic Movies: Baby Doll.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.