Bent County, Colorado
|Bent County, Colorado|
Bent County Courthouse in Las Animas
Location in the state of Colorado
Colorado's location in the U.S.
|Founded||February 6, 1874|
|Named for||William Bent|
|Largest city||Las Animas|
|• Total||1,541 sq mi (3,991 km2)|
|• Land||1,513 sq mi (3,919 km2)|
|• Water||28 sq mi (73 km2), 1.8%|
|• Density||4.0/sq mi (1.5/km²)|
|Time zone||Mountain: UTC-7/-6|
Bent County is one of the 64 counties of the U.S. state of Colorado. As of the 2010 census, the population was 6,499. The county seat and only incorporated municipality is Las Animas. The county is named in honor of frontier trader William Bent.
Bent County was created by the Colorado legislature on February 6, 1874, when Greenwood County, created only four years earlier, was dissolved and divided between Bent and Elbert counties. At the time of its creation, it included a large portion of southeastern Colorado. In 1889, Bent County acquired its current borders when it lost much of its territory to the newly created Cheyenne, Lincoln, Kiowa, Otero, and Prowers counties.
- Kiowa County - north
- Prowers County - east
- Baca County - southeast
- Las Animas County - southwest
- Otero County - west
State protected area
Trails and byway
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,998 people, 2,003 households, and 1,388 families residing in the county. The population density was 4 people per square mile (2/km²). There were 2,366 housing units at an average density of 2 per square mile (1/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 79.53% White, 3.65% Black or African American, 2.23% Native American, 0.57% Asian, 10.25% from other races, and 3.77% from two or more races. 30.24% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 2,003 households out of which 32.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 53.50% were married couples living together, 11.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.70% were non-families. 27.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the county the population was spread out with 23.80% under the age of 18, 9.30% from 18 to 24, 29.20% from 25 to 44, 21.80% from 45 to 64, and 15.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 129.00 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 138.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $28,125, and the median income for a family was $34,096. Males had a median income of $22,755 versus $24,261 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,567. About 16.60% of families and 19.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 27.40% of those under age 18 and 13.00% of those age 65 or over.
- Outline of Colorado
- Index of Colorado-related articles
- Colorado census statistical areas
- George W. Swink, retailer and cattleman
- Greenwood County, Colorado Territory
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Bent County, Colorado
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- Bent County Government website
- Colorado County Evolution by Don Stanwyck
- Colorado Historical Society
|Otero County||Prowers County|
|Las Animas County||Baca County|