|Birth name||Bent Jædig|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, saxophonist, composer|
|Instruments||Tenor saxophone, flute|
|Associated acts||Danish Radio Big Band|
Born and raised in Copenhagen, Bent Jædig first studied clarinette before playing saxophone. Late 1950s he went to Germany and led a band with trombonist Rudi Fuesers, later joint another band with trombonist Peter Herbolzheimer in Munich. In the 60s he was back to Denmark and worked with Danish trumpet player Allan Botschinsky and pianist Bent Axen, with whom he recorded for Debut Records. Jædig recorded his first album Danish Jazzman in 1967 with Axen, Botschinsky, Dusko Goykovich, Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen and Alex Riel. In following years he played with the Dollar Brand Quintet which included Don Cherry. As a side-man, Jædig was always in demand. He joint the bands such as Tete Montoliu, Jimmy Woode, Philly Joe Jones/Dizzy Reece, and Louis Hjulmand. He later formed his own trio included bass player Hugo Rasmussen and drummer Kresten Osgood. In a duo with pianist Carsten Dahl, Jædig recorded live shows in 2002 which later became part of a compilation release from Timeless Records.
In the 70s and 80s Jædig worked with Wild Bill Davison, Art Farmer, Stan Getz, in the Thad Jones Big Band (Live at Montmartre, 1978), also with Duke Jordan, Horace Parlan (Arrival, 1973), Sahib Shihab (Orgy in Rhythm), and in Ernie Wilkins Almost Big Band. In the 80ern he was also member of the Erling Kroner Tentet; he played th Danish radio big band (conducted by Palle Mikkelborg), recording the Miles Davis album Aura. In 1987 Jædig was a member of Pierre Dørge's New Jungle Orchestra.
End of the 90s Jædig played in a quintet with Dennis Drud, Erling Kroner, Jørgen Emborg, and Peter Hansen. After Jædig's death in 2004 saxophonist Charles Davis recorded the album Charles Davis Plays the Music of Bent Jædig (2006). In 2008 in the Jazzhus Montmartre was held a Bent Jædig Memorial Award Celebration. Kjeld Frandsen, a veteran music critique and journalist from Berlingske Tidende Denmark mentioned about Bent Jædig's influence on Danish Jazz scene for years, in an article published in DanishMusic.Info in January 2008.
- Original albums
- Bent Axen – Bent Jædig: Let's Keep The Message (Danish Debut, 1960)
- Danish Jazzman (Debut, 1967)
- Egon Denu & Bent Jædig (Olufsen, 1991)
- Sizzlin' (1996)
- Bent the Sailor (2001)
- Bent Jædig Was Here – Live at the Montmartre 1969 (2012)
- From Jædig's Galaxy (Storyville, 1966–83, ed. 2003)
- The Free Spirit (Little Beat Records, 1963–2003) with Tete Montoliu, Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, Dusko Gojkovich, Carsten Dahl, Allan Botschinsky, Duke Jordan, Kenny Drew, Pierre Dorge, Dollar Brand, Don Cherry, Mads Vinding, Art Farmer, Jesper Lundgaard, Dizzy Reece, Isla Eckinger, Philly Joe Jones
- nfo – birthdays 28. September
- Bent Jaedig Recordings 1963/2003
- Fresh Sound
- Bent Jædig Memorial Award Celebration Live at Jazzhus Montmartre Denmark 2008 A YouTube video clip from the concert
- The Danish Jazz Scene
- In touch with the whole world The Danish Jazz Scene, subtitle The ILK collective, January 2008 Danish Music Info
- Allmusic Bent Jædig Danish Jazzman Released on a CD in 2008 Disk Union
- Bent Jædig The Free Spirit Little Beat Records Denmark, 1963–2003