Bentley Continental GT
|Bentley Continental GT|
|Body and chassis|
Personal luxury car
|Platform||Volkswagen Group D1|
|Predecessor||Bentley Continental R
Bentley Continental T
The Bentley Continental GT is a grand tourer produced by British automaker Bentley Motors since 2003. It was the first car released by Bentley under Volkswagen AG-management after their acquisition of the company in 1998, and the first ever Bentley to employ "mass production" manufacturing techniques. It shares a platform with the Volkswagen Phaeton.
The Continental GT has transformed the company into a major global brand.
|Assembly||Crewe, England, United Kingdom|
|Designer||Raul Pires; Dirk van Braeckel (2000)|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||2-door 2+2 fastback
2-door 2+2 convertible
Torsen permanent four-wheel drive
|Platform||Volkswagen Group D1|
|Related||Bentley Continental Flying Spur
|Engine||6.0 L W12 twin-turbo|
|Transmission||6-speed ZF 6HP26A tiptronic automatic|
|Wheelbase||2,746 mm (108.1 in)|
|Length||4,808 mm (189.3 in): 2003-05
4,804 mm (189.1 in): 2006-present
|Width||1,918 mm (75.5 in): 2003-05 & GTC
1,946 mm (76.6 in): Supersports
75.4 in (1,915 mm): 2009-present Coupe
77.4 in (1,966 mm): 2009-present Convertible
|Height||1,390 mm (54.7 in)
1,380 mm (54.3 in): Speed
1,398 mm (55.0 in): GTC
|Kerb weight||2,350 kg (5,181 lb)
2,485 kg (5,478 lb): GTC
- 1 Origin
- 2 First generation (2003–2011)
- 2.1 Continental GT (2003-)
- 2.2 2005 model year update, Mulliner Driving Specification (2004-)
- 2.3 Flying Spur
- 2.4 Continental GT Diamond Series (2007-)
- 2.5 GTC (2006-)
- 2.6 2008 model year update, Continental GT Speed, Mulliner Driving Specification (2007-)
- 2.7 Bentley GTZ (2008-)
- 2.8 2009 Continental GTC update, GTC Speed, Mulliner Driving Specification (2009-)
- 2.9 Series 51 (2009-)
- 2.10 Supersports (2009-)
- 2.11 Supersports Convertible (2010-)
- 2.12 Continental GTC, GTC Speed 80-11 Editions (2010-)
- 2.13 Continental GT Design Series China (2010-)
- 2.14 Supersports Convertible ISR (2011-)
- 2.15 Bentley Continental GTZ (2012-)
- 2.16 Engines
- 2.17 Motorsport
- 2.18 Production
- 2.19 Marketing
- 3 Second generation (2011–present)
- 3.1 Continental GT W12 (2011-)
- 3.2 Continental GT V8 (2013–)
- 3.3 Continental GTC W12 (2011–)
- 3.4 Continental GT Speed coupe (2012–)
- 3.5 Continental GTC V8 (2012-)
- 3.6 Continental GT3 Concept Racer (2012)
- 3.7 Continental GT Speed Convertible (2013–)
- 3.8 Continental GT Le Mans Edition (2013-)
- 3.9 Continental GT3 (2013-)
- 3.10 Continental GT V8 S (2014-)
- 3.11 2014 Continental GT update, Continental GT Speed (2014-)
- 3.12 Continental GT3-R (2014-)
- 3.13 Body styles
- 3.14 Engines
- 3.15 Transmissions
- 3.16 Motorsport
- 3.17 Production
- 3.18 Marketing
- 4 Technically related
- 5 Also see
- 6 References
- 7 External links
In 1994 Rolls Royce Motors (who at that time owned the Bentley brand) previewed a very pretty convertible concept car at the Geneva Motor Show - the Concept Java. This was to be a highly desirable Bentley, but smaller, much more affordable, yet still exclusive enough to maintain the integrity of the brand. It was to appeal to a new range of potential buyers and generate increase sales volume for Rolls Royce (at the time the current Bentley Continental R was an ultra-exclusive £180,000 in the UK, within reach of a very select market selling only 2-300 units a year). The Concept Java never made it into production in the form seen in 1994 (although 13 cars were made for the Sultan of Brunei). However the Bentley Continental GT realised the concept of the Java as a more affordable Bentley, manufactured in much larger volumes. Whilst external styling is very different, the dashboard design is clearly influenced by the Java.
First generation (2003–2011)
Continental GT (2003-)
The vehicle was unveiled in 2003 Geneva Motor Show, followed by Le Mans, 2003 Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2003 annual Bentley Drivers Club meeting at Silverstone,. Very importantly, the car differed significantly from the previous Continental R & T models in terms of its concept: although much of the car is hand assembled, it is a mass-produced car made in significantly larger numbers. It is not a coachbuilt car. As a result the price at launch was significantly less than the Continental R (approximately half) and this immediately exposed the car to a much wider and new customer base as a more affordable car.
The Continental GT is equipped with a 6.0 litre twin-turbocharged W12 engine, which produces a DIN-rated motive power output of 560 metric horsepower (412 kW; 552 bhp) at 6,100 rpm, and torque of 650 newton metres (479 lbf·ft) at 1,600-6,100 rpm. Torsen-based permanent four-wheel drive is standard. It will accelerate from 0 to 100 kilometres per hour (0.0 to 62.1 mph) in 4.8 seconds, and go on to reach a top speed of 318 kilometres per hour (197.6 mph).
Early models include a choice of 6 body colours (Diamond Black, Burnt Oak, Cypress, Neptune, Spruce, and Umbrian Red), 8 hide colours (Beluga, Burnt Oak, Laurel, Nautic, Portland, Saffron, Savannah, Saddle), 5 veneer types (Burr Oak, Burr Walnut, Dark Stained Walnut, Madrona, Piano Black), 4 carpet and seatbelt colours (Beluga, Burnt Oak, Laurel, Nautic).
2005 model year update, Mulliner Driving Specification (2004-)
Changes to Bentley Continental GT includes voice activation for in-car telephone in six languages, increased interior trim option with addition of Magnolia hide, carpets and seatbelts that can be matched to either the main or secondary hide colour.
Mulliner Driving Specification includes 20-inch 2-piece 7-spoke alloy sports wheels with bespoke Advan Sport 275/35 R20 tyres, drilled alloy sports foot pedals and footrest, gear lever finished in knurled chrome and hide, two-tone leather and veneer combinations, diamond quilted hide to facings, doors and rear quarter panels; Embroidered 'Bentley' marque emblem to seat facings, indented hide headlining, dark-stained Burr Walnut or Piano black veneer.
The four-door Continental Flying Spur saloon was first displayed at the 2005 Geneva Motor Show. The Flying Spur utilizes most of the technical underpinnings of the Bentley Continental GT, and was introduced to European and North American markets in the summer of 2005. Together, the Bentley Continental GT and Flying Spur have boosted Bentley's annual production from around 1,000 units in 2003, to 9,200 units in 2006.
The Flying Spur has a 6-litre, 12-cylinder engine, configured in a W formation. Unlike a conventional 12-cylinder engine with two banks of six (V-12), the Continental’s 6-litre engine is configured in two banks of VR six cylinders each (2x VR6). This shortens the W-12 engine's length considerably, compared to a two-bank configuration. The W-12 produces 552 bhp (412 kW; 560 PS), accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds, and propels the Flying Spur top speed of 194 mph (312 km/h).
One notable aspect of the Continental Flying Spur is its grille. Made to look like traditional chromed brass mesh, it is a metal-covered plastic-core. This was fitted as a safety feature; it is designed to break apart upon impact with a pedestrian.
Continental GT Diamond Series (2007-)
It is a limited (400 units) version of 2007 model year Continental GT Mulliner Driving Specification, commemorating Crewe factory's 60th anniversary. It included carbon-silicon carbide brakes (420x40mm cross-drilled front and 356x28mm rear), exclusive 9Jx20-inch 14-spoke alloy wheels, choice of 3 additional exclusive body colours (Moroccan Blue (bright blue), Anthracite (grey black) and Meteor (steel blue grey)), unique insignia to exterior, unique treadplates with text 'Celebrating 60 years of manufacturing in Crewe', choice of upgraded veneers (Dark Stained Burr Walnut or Piano Black (additional veneers available at extra cost)), drilled alloy sport foot pedals, gear lever finished in knurled chrome and hide, diamond quilted hide to seat facings, door and rear quarter panels; embroidered Bentley emblem to seat facings, indented hide headlining, Mulliner alloy fuel filler cap.
The convertible version of the Continental GT, the Continental GTC, was first presented in September 2005, and was introduced to several world markets in the autumn of 2006. The roof is produced by Karmann in Osnabrück, Germany.
The GTC uses identical powertrain detail as the GT, and can accelerate from 0 to 100 kilometres per hour (0.0 to 62.1 mph) in 5.1 seconds. With the roof up, it will reach a top speed of 314 kilometres per hour (195.1 mph), and with the roof down 305 kilometres per hour (189.5 mph).
The vehicle went on sale in late 2006.
2008 model year update, Continental GT Speed, Mulliner Driving Specification (2007-)
Changes to Continental GT include 35 kg (77 lb) reduction in kerb weight due primarily to optimisation of suspension and cooling system components, increased use of aluminium parts in suspension, revised Servotronic power steering gives improved feel and feedback, optional fade-resistant carbon ceramic brakes provide improved brake feel (only available on 20-inch wheels), new, more upright front grille and larger lower air intakes give improved airflow to aid engine cooling; chromed headlamp bezels, 2 new exterior paint colours (Cumbrian Green and Granite), 2 new leather hide colours (Newmarket Tan and Cumbrian Green), new low-friction dampers, new 'Sport Traction' mode for the Bosch 8.1 ESP system, Bentley 'B' brake pedal.
Mulliner Driving Specification includes drilled alloy sport foot-pedals, knurled chrome/hide gear lever, diamond quilted hide to seat facings, doors and rear quarter panels.
Continental GT Speed is a version of Continental GT with increased engine power to 610 PS (449 kW; 602 bhp) and 750 N·m (553 lb·ft), lowered ride height, uprated spring/damper settings and uprated anti-roll bars for improved agility and body control; unique 9.5Jx20-inch wheels with bespoke Pirelli P-Zero performance tyres, retuned speed-sensitive Servotronic system, solid-mounted front subframe and stiffer rear bushings; 'Dynamic' mode for the Bosch 8.1 ESP system, front grille and lower air intakes in dark-tinted chrome matrix, wider rifled sports exhaust tail pipes.
2008 model year vehicles also include price increase over previous models.
Bentley GTZ (2008-)
It is a version of Bentley Continental GT Speed with custom body produced in association with coachbuilder Zagato, with technical partners Coventry Prototype Panels, DELVIS GmbH, PPG. The project was conceived during a discussion between Bentley Motors Limited CEO Dr. Ing. Franz Josef Paefgen and Dr. Andrea Zagato, President of Zagato at the Pebble Beach Concours D'Elegance in 2006.
2009 Continental GTC update, GTC Speed, Mulliner Driving Specification (2009-)
Changes to Continental GTC include new more upright front grille, larger lower air intake, chrome headlamp bezels, retuned Servotronic power steering for improved feedback and feel, new optional Follow-to-stop, radar–based Adaptive Cruise Control, optional carbon ceramic brakes with 420 mm front and 356 mm rear discs and eight-piston callipers (only available with 20 - inch wheels), 2 new exterior colours (Aquamarine, Blue Crystal), new interior colour (Aquamarine).
Mulliner Driving Specification includes choice of 3 standard veneers (Burr Walnut, Dark Stained Burr Walnut, Piano Black, drilled alloy sport foot-pedals, gear lever finished in knurled chrome and hide, diamond quilted hide to seat facings, doors and rear quarter panels; embroidered Bentley emblem to seat facings, 20 inch 2-piece alloy sports wheels (GTC only) or 20 inch multi-spoke alloy wheels in Dark Tint painted finish (GTC Speed only)
Continental GTC Speed is based on Continental GTC with Mulliner Driving Specification, with engine from Continental GT Speed, radiator and lower air intake grilles with a dark tinted matrix, 9.5Jx20-inch multi-spoke alloy wheels, Bentley-bespoke Pirelli PZero tyres, lowered suspension by 10 mm at the front and 15 mm, wider twin-rifled exhaust tail pipes, a new boot-mounted lip spoiler.
Series 51 (2009-)
The Series 51 models include additional vehicle customization options for Continental GT and GTC, such as use of non-indented hide for diamond quilting, contrast piping for the seats and doors as well as bespoke Series 51 treadplates. Other options include Dark and Bright 'Engine Spin' aluminium dashboard and centre console options, Amboyna veneer, colour matched overmats and boot carpets, 20-inch 14-spoke polished Diamond wheel with a dark centre cap, a signature '51' badge on the front wings, optional two-tone paint (with one colour running over the bonnet, roof and flowing down to the boot).
The vehicles (including a Continental GTC with Imperial Blue as a main and secondary hide, Linen seat and door inserts and Newmarket Tan as the accent colour) were unveiled in 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show, followed by Continental GTC model in 2010 North American International Auto Show.
Ordering of Series 51 models began from 1 September 2009.
In February 2009, Bentley announced limited production of the Bentley Continental Supersports. The car was unveiled at the 2009 Geneva Motor Show, announced by Jay Leno, to be available in autumn 2009 worldwide, followed by FlexFuel-compatible models in North America by summer 2010.
The first Bentley capable of running on both petrol (gasoline) and biofuel (E85 ethanol), its 6.0 litre W12 engine was rated 630 PS (463 kW; 621 bhp) at 6,000 rpm and 800 N·m (590 lbf·ft) at 1,700-5,600 rpm - using either fuel. The car has 0 to 100 kilometres per hour (0.0 to 62.1 mph) acceleration of 3.7 seconds, 0 to 160 kilometres per hour (0.0 to 99.4 mph) acceleration of 8.9 seconds, top speed of 329 kilometres per hour (204.4 mph), making it the fastest and the most powerful production Bentley ever. The Supersports is already known as the best handling Bentley. Bentley says the supersports can deliver 1.29 g forces on a 300-foot (91 m) skid pad, as compared to its sibling the Continental GT speed which can perform up to .98 g forces on a 300-foot (91 m) skidpad.
It includes a revised ZF 6HP26A tiptronic automatic with "Quickshift" system that reduces shift times by 50%, and enables double downshifts. The car uses a Torsen T-3 centre differential for the 40:60 rear-biased torque split for the four-wheel drive system. Other changes include revised Continuous Damping Control (CDC), 20-inch lightweight alloy wheels (with increased 25 mm (1.0 in) offset on rear wheels) with 275/35 ZR20 Pirelli Ultra High Performance tires, advanced Bosch Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) with switchable Dynamic Mode, Carbon fibre-reinforced Silicon Carbide (C/SiC) ceramic disc brakes (the largest and most powerful brakes ever fitted to a production car), 110 kilograms (243 lb) weight saving over Continental GT Speed, automatic retractable spoiler (deploys at 80 km/h (50 mph)).
US model has MSRP of approximately $270,000, with early vehicles not having E85 capability, which would be available in summer of 2010 for US market.
Supersports Convertible (2010-)
It is a convertible version of Continental Supersports coupe with a revised version of the ZF 6HP26 transmission with "Quickshift," cutting shift times by 50% and enabling double downshifts. The convertible also gets new, lightweight 20-inch alloy wheels that are 22 lb (10.0 kg) lighter than the standard wheel.
The vehicle was unveiled in 2010 Geneva Motor Show.
US model went on sale in Summer of 2010 for $280,400.
Continental GTC, GTC Speed 80-11 Editions (2010-)
The 80-11 models are limited (80 units per model) versions of Continental GTC and GTC Speed for North American market, with 20-inch 14-spoke alloy diamond wheels polished with unique black center caps featuring Bentley 'B' emblem (GTC) or 20-inch wheels from Supersports finished in dark tint with red brake calipers (GTC Speed), Union Jack brightware badges on front fenders, exclusive Midnight body colour option, Dark Grey Metallic soft top and the Mulliner fuel-filler cap as standard, Beluga main leather hide with white (GTC) or Pillar Box Red (GTC Speed) contrast stitching and piping and Bentley emblems, Piano Black veneers, engine-turned aluminum with bright (GTC) or dark (GTC Speed) finish, drilled alloy sport foot pedals, treadplates and a badge on the console with the '80-11 Edition' signature.
Continental GT Design Series China (2010-)
It is a version of Continental GT in China market, with three-tone interior that blends a main leather hide colour with accent and insert colours, choice of Orange and Magenta accent colours, choice of Orange Flame and Magenta Metallic body colours, Piano Black and dark-stained Burr Walnut veneer (optional Amboyna), exterior wing badge, treadplate and name badge positioned on the centre console with 'Design Series China' signature.
The vehicle was unveiled in 2010 Auto China Motor Show in Beijing.
Supersports Convertible ISR (2011-)
Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible ISR (Ice Speed Record) is a limited (100 units) version of Bentley Continental Supersports convertible, commemorating Bentley's world ice speed record set by Finland's four-time world rally champion Juha Kankkunen. It includes a W12 engine rated at 640 PS (471 kW; 631 bhp), Quickshift six-speed automatic transmission, 420 mm front and 356 mm rear diameter carbon ceramic brake discs with eight-piston front calipers, three body colours (Beluga, Quartzite, Arctica White) with Dark Grey Metallic soft top in three-ply composite construction, 20-inch 10-spoke Supersports wheels in dark tint. The interior has leather upholstery, diamond-quilted Alcantara to doors and quarter panels and seat facings, 'soft-grip' leather on the steering wheel and gear lever, high-gloss carbon fibre on the dashboard and console and roof panel with unique red weave, Pillar Box red piping to seats and doors, Pillar Box Red contrast stitching to seats, door casings, steering wheel and gearshift paddles; front seats and floor mats with embroidered 'Supersports' legends, and a Breitling dashboard clock with red accent.
The vehicle was unveiled in 2011 Geneva Motor Show.
Bentley Continental GTZ (2012-)
It is an updated version of Bentley GTZ, with body panels covering the top of rear wheels.
The vehicle was unveiled in 2012 Concorso D'Eleganza.
|Continental GT||2003–||5,998 cc (366.0 cu in) W12 twin turbo||560 PS (412 kW; 552 hp)@6000, 650 N·m (479 lb·ft)@1700|
|Continental GTC||2006–||5,998 cc (366.0 cu in) W12 twin turbo||560 PS (412 kW; 552 hp)@6000, 650 N·m (479 lb·ft)@1700|
|Continental GT Speed||2007–||5,998 cc (366.0 cu in) W12 twin turbo||610 PS (449 kW; 602 hp)@6000, 750 N·m (553 lb·ft)@1750|
|Continental GTC Speed||2009–||5,998 cc (366.0 cu in) W12 twin turbo||610 PS (449 kW; 602 hp)@6000, 750 N·m (553 lb·ft)@1750|
|Continental Supersports||2009–||5,998 cc (366.0 cu in) W12 twin turbo||630 PS (463 kW; 621 hp)@6000, 800 N·m (590 lb·ft)@1700|
|Continental Supersports Convertible||2010–||5,998 cc (366.0 cu in) W12 twin turbo||630 PS (463 kW; 621 hp)@6000, 800 N·m (590 lb·ft)@1700|
In early 2007, a Bentley Continental GT Speed equipped with Nokian Hakkapeliitta Sport Utility 5 studded winter tyres and driven by four-time World Rally Champion Juha Kankkunen, broke the World Speed Record on Ice - on the frozen Baltic Sea near Oulu, Finland. It averaged 321.6 kilometres per hour (199.83 mph) in both directions on the "flying kilometre", reaching a maximum speed of 331 km/h (205.67 mph). The previous record was 296 km/h (183.9 mph), achieved with a Bugatti EB110 Supersport. The record-breaking Bentley was largely standard except for a roll-cage, aerodynamic improvements, and low-temperature fuel and calibration.
In February 2011, Bentley succeeded in breaking their own land-ice speed record previously set by the Continental GT. They managed to bring a slightly modified Supersports Convertible to 205.48 MPH in Finland, verified by the Guinness World Records.
On February 15, 2011 Kankkunen broke the record again, reaching an average speed of 331 km/h (205.67 mph) in a convertible Bentley Continental Supersports. Bentley announced that a limited edition of the car would be released to celebrate the achievement. It seems that Bentley provoked the former tyre supplier by attempting a new record with a different brand (using Pirelli Sotto Zero IIs) because, on March 6, 2011, Nokian Tyres test driver, piloting an Audi RS6 with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 studded tyres, took the ice speed record in Finland, clocking a top speed of 206.05 mph (331.61 km/h) in freezing conditions.
Continental GT was designed, engineered and built in Crewe plant.
As of 24 March 2003 (6 months before delivery), Bentley Motors has already accrued over 3200 deposits for its new Continental GT.
Production of Continental GTC began at Crewe, Cheshire plant began at September 2006, before the ending production of Bentley vehicles in Volkswagen Group manufacturing facility in Dresden, Germany at December 2006.
As of 14 May 2009, Continental models were certified to have 85% recyclability (or 95% recoverability) of materials.
Continental GT was marketed to new customers with an average age of just under 50 years old, with 75% upper luxury coupé buyer not from existing customer base.
Breitling SA produced a limited (1000 units per colour) Breitling for Bentley Supersports chronograph wrist watches (based on Breitling Calibre 26B) inspired by the Bentley Continental Supersports car.
Breitling SA produced a series of 1000-unit Bentley Supersports Light Body wrist watches (based on Breitling Calibre 27B) to commemorate Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible's ice speed record. The watch was unveiled in Baselworld 2011 watch show.
Second generation (2011–present)
|Assembly||Crewe, England, United Kingdom|
|Designer||Dirk van Braeckel|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||2-door 2+2 coupé|
Torsen permanent four-wheel drive
|Platform||Volkswagen Group D1|
|Engine||6.0 L W12 twin-turbo
4.0 L V8 twin-turbo
|Transmission||8-speed tiptronic automatic|
|Wheelbase||2,746 mm (108.1 in)|
|Length||4,806 mm (189.2 in)|
|Width||1,944 mm (76.5 in)|
|Height||1,404 mm (55.3 in)|
|Curb weight||2,320 kg (5,115 lb)|
Continental GT W12 (2011-)
The vehicle was unveiled in 2010 Paris Motor Show.
Continental GT V8 (2013–)
It is a version of Bentley Continental GT with a twin-turbo 4-litre V8 engine (developed jointly with Audi). The 3993cc V8 produces 500 hp (373 kW) and 487 lb·ft (660 N·m). Cylinder deactivation technology effectively turns the V8 into a V4 to improve fuel economy by 8%. Other changes, including on-demand steering assistance, weight reduction, better engine heat management, overrun alternator charging and eco-tyres, improve overall fuel consumption by 40% from the W12's 17.1 mpg to the V8's 26.1 mpg.
The vehicle was unveiled in 2012 North American International Auto Show, followed by SkyLounge in Munich, 2012 Beijing International Automotive Exhibition, 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed.
Continental GTC W12 (2011–)
The vehicle was unveiled in 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, followed by 2012 Qatar International Motor Show.
Deliveries of the Bentley Continental GTC began in late 2011.
Continental GT Speed coupe (2012–)
It is a version of Continental GT W12 with increased engine power to 616 horsepower and 590 lb-ft of torque. The ride height is lowered and chassis and suspension uprated. It has the top speed of 330 kilometres per hour (205 mph).
The vehicle was unveiled in Goodwood Festival of Speed 2012, followed by 2012 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, followed by 2012 Moscow International Auto Salon, 2012 Paris Motor Show, 2012 AUTO ZÜRICH, 2012 LA Auto Show.
Continental GTC V8 (2012-)
The vehicle was unveiled in 2012 North American International Auto Show, followed by 2012 Geneva Motor Show, 2012 New York International Auto Show, 2012 Paris International Auto Salon., 2013 Los Angeles Auto Show.
Continental GT3 Concept Racer (2012)
Continental GT Speed Convertible (2013–)
The convertible version Continental GT Speed includes ME17 engine management system, self-levelling system set 10 mm lower than the 575PS Continental GT convertible, Electronic Stability Control with Dynamic Mode, matrix radiator grille and bumper air intakes in dark-tint chrome finish, 21" Speed alloy wheels in silver or an optional dark tint, diamond-quilted hide upholstery, Dark Tint Aluminium 'engine spin' finish (optional fine wood veneers, satin-finish Carbon Fibre option for fascia and centre console), top speed of 325 km/h (202 mph).
Continental GT Le Mans Edition (2013-)
It is a limited (48 units per model) versions of Continental GT V8 coupe and convertible, GT W12 coupe and convertible, and GT Speed coupe for North American market, commemorating Bentley's six victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Each car includes a unique Le Mans Edition numbered badge, Le Mans Edition clock face, embroidered Le Mans badge to each headrest, tread plates with the limited edition name, unique Le Mans Edition wheels and specific interior veneers and exterior colours. The vehicles were made in 6 models, named after the winning drivers:
|John Duff||Moonbeam||Two-tone Linen and Beluga||Contrast||Piano Black and Bright Aluminium|
|Dudley Benjafield||Verdant||Two-tone Linen and Cumbrian Green||Contrast||Dark Stain Burr Walnut and Bright Aluminium|
|Woolf Barnato||Granite||Hotspur||Beluga||Carbon Fiber|
|Tim Birkin||Glacier White||Beluga||White||Piano Black and Bright Aluminium|
|Glen Kidston||Dark Sapphire, with Blue hued exterior roof on GT Convertible models||Two-tone Newmarket Tan and Imperial Blue||Contrast||Dark Stain Burr Walnut and Dark Aluminium|
|Guy Smith||Beluga||Beluga||Hotspur||Piano Black and Dark Aluminium|
Continental GT3 (2013-)
It is a rear-wheel-drive race car version of Continental GT V8 coupe, based on the Continental GT3 Concept Racer. It included 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 engine rated 608 PS (447 kW; 600 hp), Xtrac six-speed sequential gearbox with a limited slip differential in transaxle, racing clutch, steering wheel mounted paddle operated pneumatic gear shift, Drivetrain Carbon fibre propshaft, double wishbone suspension front and rear, four-way adjustable racing dampers; hydraulic power-assisted steering, ventilated iron disc brakes front and rear, Brembo 6/4-piston front/rear calipers, driver-adjustable brake bias, FIA-specification steel roll cage, Sparco six-point FIA safety harness, onboard fire extinguisher, onboard pneumatic jack system, FIA-specification racing fuel cell, race-specification ABS and traction control, lightweight race battery, OZ Racing 18x13-inch rims with 310/710R18 tyres, removal of the leather and wood interior trim.
The design was completed by a specialist team of engineers from Bentley Motors supported by the Continental GT3 Technical Partner, M-Sport Ltd.
Continental GT V8 S (2014-)
Available in coupe and convertible bodies, they are versions of Bentley Continental GT V8 with increased engine power to 528 PS (388 kW; 521 hp)@6000rpm and 680 N·m (502 lb·ft)@1700rpm, increased agility and body control to match the engine's higher output, lowered suspension through an aerodynamic front splitter, discrete side sills and rear diffuser in Beluga gloss black; new exclusive 20-inch wheels with open-spoke design, red-painted brake calipers, optional new sports exhaust, optional duo-tone interiors, choice of interior trim in seventeen hide colours, unique contrast centre stripe for the hide-trimmed roof lining matching the colour of the main hide, knurled chrome detailing to the gearshift lever and ventilation controls, Piano Black veneers, 'V8 S' on each sill tread plate.
The vehicle was unveiled in 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show, followed by 2014 North American International Auto Show, 2014 Beijing International Automotive Show, 2014 Goodwood Festival of Speed.
2014 Continental GT update, Continental GT Speed (2014-)
Changes to 2014 Continental GT includes the debut of seven distinctive equipment packages. Premier Specification includes additional technology and comfort whilst the Interior Style Specification uses the very best of Bentley hand-craftsmanship for the ultimate tailored cabin.
Continental GT Speed includes increased engine power to 635 PS (467 kW; 626 hp) and 820 N·m (605 lb·ft), red-painted brake calipers, a chrome 'Speed' badge at front fenders, a new exclusive colour split. Mulliner Styling Specification for GT Speed includes front splitter, side skirts, rear diffuser in body colour; 21-inch Speed wheel design, headlamps, tail lamps in dark tint.
Delivery was set to begin in summer 2014.
Continental GT3-R (2014-)
It is a limited (300 units) version of Continental GT V8 S coupe inspired by the Continental GT3 race car, with 100 kg weight reduction, increased engine power to 580 PS (427 kW; 572 hp)@6000rpm and 700 N·m (516 lb·ft)@1700rpm, torque vectoring for each of the rear wheels, shorter gearing, recalibrated control software, all-new titanium exhaust with 7 kg weight saving and retuned acoustics, forged 21-inch alloy wheels in gloss black, Pirelli tyres, sport-focussed Electronic Stability Control programme, Carbon Silicon Carbide (CSiC) braking system (420 mm front and 356 mm rear brake discs, 8-piston front calipers in green), two-seat cabin with carbon fibre, Alcantara and leather interior upholstery; bespoke sporting seats with additional side support through deeper bolsters upholstered in Beluga black leather and diamond-quilted Alcantara, upholstered steering wheel and gear shifter, centre console and fascia panels in carbon fibre, carbon fibre door casings with diamond-quilted Alcantara inner panels, rear cabin with a carbon fibre surround and upholstered in leather and Alcantara, green hide colour on the seats, instrument panel, door panels, contrast stitching throughout the seats and diamond-quilted areas; GT3-R badging at centre console, passenger-side fascia panel, sill treadplates; GT3-R stitching at seat headrests in with contrast-green stitching, carbon fibre fixed rear wing and boot lid, bonnet with two vents, Glacier White body colour with gloss carbon fibre contrasts, two-tone green graphics tracing two power lines to the side profile of the car (one leading backwards from the front wheel, the other tracing the shape of the Continental GT's rear haunch), headlamp bezels, matrix grille, window surrounds and bumper strips in gloss black.
|GT V8 S||2014–||2014–|
|GT Speed (635PS)||2014–||2014-|
|GT V8||2013–||3,993 cc (243.7 cu in) V8 twin turbo||507 PS (373 kW; 500 hp)@6000, 660 N·m (487 lb·ft)@1700|
|GT V8 S||2014–||3,993 cc (243.7 cu in) V8 twin turbo||528 PS (388 kW; 521 hp)@6000, 680 N·m (502 lb·ft)@1700|
|GT3-R||2014–||3,993 cc (243.7 cu in) V8 twin turbo||580 PS (427 kW; 572 hp)@6000, 700 N·m (516 lb·ft)@1700|
|GT W12||2011–||5,998 cc (366.0 cu in) W12 twin turbo||575 PS (423 kW; 567 hp)@6000, 700 N·m (516 lb·ft)@1700|
|GT Speed||2012–||5,998 cc (366.0 cu in) W12 twin turbo||625 PS (460 kW; 616 hp)@6000, 800 N·m (590 lb·ft)@1700|
|GT Speed (635PS)||2014–||5,998 cc (366.0 cu in) W12 twin turbo||635 PS (467 kW; 626 hp)@6000?, 820 N·m (605 lb·ft)@1700?|
|GT V8||2013–||8-speed ZF transmission with Quickshift and steering column mounted gearshift paddles|
|GT V8 S||2014–||8-speed ZF automatic transmission|
|GT3-R||2014–||ZF 8-speed automatic with Quickshift, Block Shifting and separate Drive, Sport and Tiptronic modes. Steering-column-mounted paddle shift.|
|GT W12||2011–||8-speed ZF transmission with steering column mounted gearshift paddles|
|GT Speed||2012–||8-speed ZF transmission with steering column mounted gearshift paddles|
|GT Speed (635PS)||2014–||ZF 8HP90 AL951 eight-speed automatic with block shifting|
Continental GTC W12, Continental GT V8 were used in Nürburgring 24 Hour Race as official parade cars.
Continental GT V8 enter 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed hill climb.
Continental GTC W12, Continental Supersports, Continental GT V8 became the official parade cars for 2012 Nürburgring 24 Hour Race.
Continental GT3 entered its first development races before starting full competition in the Blancpain GT Series in 2014, after completing FIA homologation. The first race began at Gulf 12 Hours, held at the Yas Marina circuit in Abu Dhabi. The Team M-Sport Wald International car completed the Gulf 12 Hours race in fourth place. In May 2014, the factory team won the Silverstone round of the Blancpain Endurance Series.
Continental GT3's steering wheel, door pulls and seat were built in Crewe plant.
The first Continental GT3 car was built by the Bentley motorsport team in conjunction with M-Sport.
Continental GT3-R was built in Crewe plant and finished in Bentley's Motorsport division.
The production of the Volkswagen Group W12 engines used in Continental GT W12 engine models were relocated to Crewe plant from the end of 2014 onwards.
As part of the Continental GT Convertible launch, Ettinger of London produced leather goods under the Bentley Collection label to complement the new colour Breeze created for Continental GT Convertible, which included iPhone case and the Blackberry case, leather loop keyring and key case. Model Assemblies produced 50 1:43 Continental GT Convertible model cars in Breeze. A series of 2012 Bentley Collection items were also produced, including 'The Flying B' range a desk paperweight, letter opener and wine bottle stopper; 'Inspired by Our Heritage' four-piece Espresso coffee cup set featuring original racing scenes from the Brooklands and Le Mans racetracks; jackets, polo shirts and soft shell fleeces, Anthony Holt Silversmiths made-to-order Valet boxes, silver 1:12 replica of the Bentley Blower, Bentley Eyewear Collection sunglasses (in fine wood, Asian water buffalo horn, 18ct white, yellow and rose gold). The sunglasses were produced by Estede, with lenses produced by Zeiss.
As part of Continental GT V8 launch, Breitling SA created a 250-piece limited edition of its Bentley GMT chronograph (based on the Breitling Calibre 47B) featuring a second time-zone display.
To demonstrate Bentley Continental GT's cold climate capabilities, Bentley Power on Ice programme returned in February 2013, allowing existing owners, enthusiasts and aspiring drivers the chance to explore the extreme limits of the Continental GT on the frozen lakes of northern Finland.
- Rolls-Royce Phantom Drophead Coupé
- Rolls-Royce Wraith (2013)
- Mercedes-Benz CL-Class/Mercedes-Benz S-Class Coupé
- John Crawford. "john-crawford: Delivering A Dream". drivingandlife.com. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Bentley Continental GT specification". BentleyMotors.com. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- "Bentley Continental GTC specification". BentleyMotors.com. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- Bentley Continental GT to make dynamic debut at Le Mans
- Bentley Le Mans winners and new Continental GT in action at Goodwood
- Bentley Speed 8 and Continental GT at BDC Silverstone
- Latest Continental GT Specification
- "Car reviews from industry experts - Auto123". auto123.com. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "2005 Bentley Continental GT - Mulliner Driving Specification". seriouswheels.com. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Bentley Mulliner creates Continental GT Coupé with added sporting edge
- Scott Davis. "Bentley celebrates 60 years at Crewe". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Bentley Continental GTC introduction". BentleyMotors.com. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- Bentley Continental GTC - Media information
- BENTLEY MARBELLA AND JOSÉ CARLOS DE SALAMANCA HOST AN EXCLUSIVE RECEPTION IN SEVILLE
- Bentley announces stunning new convertible version of the Continental GT
- John Neff. "Mortgage your future: Bentley releases pricing for future lineup". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- New 600bhp Continental GT Speed extends the worldwide appeal of Bentley’s iconic GT coupe
- John Neff. "Bentley unveils most powerful model ever: The Continental GT Speed". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Bentley Marbella presents the new Bentley Continental GT Speed
- John Neff. "Frankfurt 2007: Bentley Continental GT Speed... yes, please". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Bentley and Zagato offer limited-edition Continental GTZ". AutoBlog.com. 15 April 2008. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- Publisher. "COACHBUILD.com - Bentley Continental GT Zagato". coachbuild.com. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- 2008 Bentley GTZ Zagato
- Chris Paukert. "Detroit 2009: Bentley Continental GTC Speed brings beauty with a quickness". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- The new GTC Speed builds on the success of Continental GTC
- Simona (10 September 2009). "2010 Bentley Continental Series 51". Top Speed. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- BENTLEY MOTORS SHOWCASES NEW FLAGSHIP MULSANNE AND SERIES 51 CONTINENTAL GTC AT DETROIT MOTOR SHOW
- NEW SERIES 51 BENTLEY CONTINENTAL RANGE TO DEBUT AT FRANKFURT SHOW
- Jonathon Ramsey. "Geneva Preview: Bentley goes green - really fast - with the Continental Supersports". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Rendell, Julian (10 August 2009). "Mean Greenie". AutoWeek (Detroit, Michigan: Crain Communications, Inc.) 59 (16): 10. ISSN 0192-9674.
- "The Price of Green: Bentley Continental Supersports is $270,000 to around 316,000". AutoBlog.com. 9 April 2009. Retrieved 3 September 2009.
- Chris Paukert. "Geneva 2010: Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible is a belated holiday treat". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Frank Filipponio. "Monterey 2010: Bentley unveils pair of limited edition Continental GTC models". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- BENTLEY MOTORS ANNOUNCES DEBUT OF TWO LIMITED-EDITION DROPHEADS AT PEBBLE BEACH
- Simona (22 April 2010). "2010 Bentley Continental GT Design Series China". Top Speed. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Noah Joseph. "Bentley Continental Supersports ISR goes all GT3 with factory graphics package". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Geneva 2011: Bentley Supersports ICR Convertible is a classy drop-top rocketship". AutoBlog.com. 2011-03-02.
- "Special Edition Bentley Continental GTZ Unveiled at Concorso D鈥橢leganza". CarBuzz. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Jeremy Korzeniewski. "All Bentley Continental models going flex-fuel in June". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- BENTLEY CONTINENTAL RANGE NOW FULLY FUELLED FOR THE FUTURE
- "World Speed Record on Ice for Bentley Continental GT - Classic Driver - MAGAZINE - news". Classic Driver. Retrieved 2009-12-25.
- "Bentley Sets New Ice Land Speed Record in Supersports Convertible". Automoblog.net. 2011-02-17. Retrieved 2011-02-21.
- "Bentley Sets Speed Record of 205 mph...On Ice". Foxnews.com. 15 February 2011. Retrieved 15 February 2011.
- "Audi RS6 claims ice record over Bentley". Autoweek. 9 March 2011. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Nokian Tyres Fastest on Ice: New World Record 331,61 km/h". Nokian Tyres.
- Continental GT - important turning point in new "golden era" for Bentley
- 3200 Deposits taken for the new Bentley Continental GT
- Sir Elton John to auction first Bentley Continental GT for North America at his 12th Annual Academy Awards viewing party
- First Bentley Continental GT for North America sold for $400,000 at Sir Elton John's 12th Annual Academy Awards Viewing Party
- Alex Nunez. "Bentley Continental GTC production begins". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Bentley commences production of the Continental GTC
- Jeremy Korzeniewski. "Scrap the Rich: Bentley Continental is 85% recyclable". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- The production-ready Bentley Continental GT
- "Bentley Supersports". breitlingforbentley.com. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Breitling For Bentley – Supersports - The Coolest Car and Watch Collaborations - Complex CA". Complex CA. 29 August 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Bentley Supersports Limited Edition Watch Celebrates New Ice Speed Record". AutoGuide.com News. 7 March 2011. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Bentley Supersports Light Body - Breitling for Bentley". breitlingforbentley.com. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Alina Dumitrache. "Breitling for Bentley Supersport Light Body Watch Presented". autoevolution. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Bentley Continental GT specification". BentleyMotors.com. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- Jeff Glucker. "2011 Bentley Continental GT price increased to nearly $190k". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- NEW CHAPTER IN CONTINENTAL STORY BEGINS IN PARIS
- Ben Wojdyla (7 September 2010). "2011 Bentley Continental GT: Now You Can Have A V8". Jalopnik. Gawker Media. Retrieved 18 November 2010.
- Daily telegraph 25/02/2012 - "Motoring" - Andrew English
- Zach Bowman. "Bentley Continental GT V8 brings the motor to Motor City". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Noah Joseph. "Bentley soars over Munich with new Continental GT V8". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- BENTLEY GOES SKY HIGH! NEW CONTINENTAL V8 MAKES DRAMATIC DEBUT OVER MUNICH
- NEW CONTINENTAL GT V8 MAKES DEBUT IN CHINA
- BENTLEY WOWS CROWDS WITH A STUNNING CAR AND DRIVER LINE UP AT THE GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED
- BENTLEY AT THE QATAR INTERNATIONAL MOTOR SHOW
- THE NEW BENTLEY CONTINENTAL GTC
- Rendell, Julian (July 9, 2012). "Bentley Bomber". Autoweek 62 (14): 12.
- "Bentley World - New Bentley Continental GT Speed". BentleyWorld.org. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- Steven J. Ewing. "2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed debuting at Goodwood with 616 HP and 205 MPH top speed". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Wuestner, Christian (20 June 2012). "Bentley Unveils its Fastest-Ever Car With $237,600 Speed Model". Bloomberg L.P. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- BENTLEY MOTORS’ NORTH AMERICAN DEBUTS & NEWS AT PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D’ELEGANCE
- Jonathon Ramsey. "Bentley releases full specs, new images of Continental GT Speed [w/video]". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- THREE PREMIERES FOR BENTLEY AT MOSCOW SHOW
- BENTLEY SHOWCASES UNRIVALLED PRODUCT RANGE AT THE PARIS SALON
- SCHWEIZER PREMIERE FÜR BENTLEY CONTINENTAL
- BENTLEY SHOWCASES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUTS
- WORLD PREMIERE OF CONTINENTAL V8 RANGE
- NEW CONTINENTAL GTC V8 ARRIVES IN GENEVA
- NEW CONTINENTAL GTC V8 MAKES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT
- BENTLEY CELEBRATES REGIONAL SUCCESS AT LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW WITH DEBUT OF NEW FLYING SPUR
- Migliore, Greg (January 7, 2013). "Bentley's Pure Speed". Autoweek 63 (1): 5.
- Jonathon Ramsey. "Bentley unveils 202-mph Continental GT Speed Convertible". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- BENTLEY REVEALS NEW PERFORMANCE FLAGSHIP CONVERTIBLE
- BENTLEY ANNOUNCES LE MANS LIMITED EDITION MULSANNE AND CONTINENTAL MODELS
- Zach Bowman. "Bentley Continental, Mulsanne get Le Mans limited editions". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Jeffrey N. Ross. "Bentley releases official Continental GT3 details [w/video]". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- BENTLEY REVEALS CONTINENTAL GT3 DETAILS AT GLOBAL DEBUT
- CONTINENTAL GT3 TO MAKE DYNAMIC DEBUT ON GOODWOOD HILL
- MULSANNE LE MANS LIMITED EDITION MAKES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT AT PEBBLE BEACH
- DEBUTS AND REUNIONS FROM BENTLEY AT 2014 GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED
- NEW BENTLEY V8 S MODELS MAKE WORLD DEBUT AT IAA MOTOR SHOW
- BENTLEY INCREASES POWER AT DETROIT 2014
- BENTLEY’S ELECTRIC FUTURE DEBUTS IN BEIJING
- DEBUTS AND REUNIONS FROM BENTLEY AT 2014 GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED
- Brandon Turkus. "Bentley reveals Continental GT V8 S with a bit more of everything". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- NEW ‘S’ MODELS SHARPEN THE SPORTING EDGE OF THE CONTINENTAL GT RANGE
- BENTLEY HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE GENEVA SHOW
- Noah Joseph. "2014 Bentley Continental GT Speed arrives as the fastest Flying B to date". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- BENTLEY REVEALS ITS RANGE OF PERFORMANCE AT 2014 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW
- BENTLEY’S ELECTRIC FUTURE DEBUTS IN BEIJING
- NEW BENTLEY CONTINENTAL GT SPEED TURNS ON THE POWER AND STYLE AT GENEVA
- BENTLEY CONTINENTAL GT3-R DEFINES A NEW CHAPTER IN PERFORMANCE-FOCUSSED LUXURY
- Chris Bruce. "Bentley GT3-R is the most hardcore road-going Continental yet". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- GT3-R Vehicle Specifiation
- GT Speed Vehicle Specification
- BENTLEY ON PARADE AT THE NÜRBURGRING 24 HOURS
- BENTLEY V8 THUNDERS OVER GOODWOOD’S HILLS
- CONTINENTAL GT3 READY TO RACE IN ABU DHABI
- CONTINENTAL GT3 FINISHES GULF 12HR IN FOURTH
- Noah Joseph. "Bentley shifting W12 engine production to UK". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Bentley Announces 2012 Collection for the Holidays". AutoGuide.com News. 7 November 2012. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- The 2012 Bentley Collection
- BENTLEY COLLECTION - IT'S A BREEZE WITH BENTLEY....
- "£26k for a pair of sunglasses: But they ARE handcrafted from platinum and aimed at super-rich Bentley drivers". Mail Online. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Noah Joseph. "Bentley's solid gold sunglasses will cost, make you look like a million bucks". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "Pre-Basel: Breitling for Bentley GMT "V8" - WatchTime - USA's No.1 Watch Magazine". watchtime.com. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Noah Joseph. "Breitling celebrates new Continental GT with GMT V8 chronograph". Autoblog. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- A NEW RANGE FOR BENTLEY COLLECTION INSPIRED BY THE CONTINENTAL V8 MODELS
- BENTLEY RETURNS TO FINLAND FOR ‘POWER ON ICE’ 2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bentley Continental GT.|
|Bentley timeline, 1920s–present|
|Ownership||Bentley Motors Limited
Bentley Motors (1931) Limited
Bentley Motors (1931) Limited
|3 L||4½ L
|Cars with Bentley own-factory coachwork|
|Bentleys on the Volkswagen platform|
|« previous — Bentley, a subsidiary of the Volkswagen Group, automobile timeline, 1998–present|
|Saloon||Arnage||Continental Flying Spur||Flying Spur|
|Red Label||Arnage R/T||Mulsanne|
|Coupé||Continental R||Continental GT||Continental GT|
|Continental T||Brooklands Coupé|
|Convertible||Continental GTC||Continental GTC|