Bentley Mulsanne (2010)
|Manufacturer||Bentley Motors Ltd|
|Assembly||Crewe, England, United Kingdom|
|Designer||Dirk van Braeckel|
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||4-door saloon/sedan|
|Engine||6.75 L twin-turbo L Series V8|
|Transmission||8-speed ZF 8HP automatic|
|Wheelbase||3,266 mm (128.6 in)|
|Length||5,575 mm (219.5 in)|
|Width||1,926 mm (75.8 in) (w/mirrors: 2,208 mm (86.9 in))|
|Height||1,521 mm (59.9 in)|
|Kerb weight||2,650 kg (5,850 lb)|
The Bentley Mulsanne is a luxury car produced by Bentley Motors Limited in the United Kingdom. The name is derived from Bentley's historical racing pedigree, which included five victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans — the Mulsanne Straight being the stretch of the Le Mans racing circuit where cars reach their highest speeds.
- 1 Legacy
- 2 Initial release
- 2.1 Mulsanne (2010-)
- 2.2 Executive Interior Concept (2011)
- 2.3 2013 Model Year Mulsanne, Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification (2012-)
- 2.4 Mulsanne Diamond Jubilee Edition (2012-)
- 2.5 Mulsanne Convertible Concept (2012?)
- 2.6 Mulsanne Executive Interior (2012-)
- 2.7 Mulsanne Le Mans Edition (2013-)
- 2.8 Features
- 2.9 Engines
- 2.10 Transmissions
- 2.11 Production
- 2.12 Motorsport
- 3 References
- 4 External links
Bentley has brought back the Mulsanne nameplate that was last used in 1992, and this model replaces the Bentley Arnage. The new Mulsanne was unveiled at the 2009 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, on 16 August 2009. Coupe and convertible variants are expected to follow at some point as replacements for the Arnage-based Brooklands and Azure respectively.
Like the Arnage, the Mulsanne retains the 6.75 L (6750 cc/411 in³) OHV V8 engine, modified to meet Euro V emissions regulations. The engine is lighter and features cylinder de-activation and variable cam phasing to improve fuel efficiency. Unlike the less expensive Bentley Continental Flying Spur and Bentley Continental GT, the Mulsanne shares fewer components with other marques in the Volkswagen Group.
The Mulsanne is the first flagship car to be independently designed by Bentley Motors in nearly 80 years; the last being W.O. Bentley's 8 litre model in 1930. Afterward, most Bentleys shared platforms with Rolls-Royce cars.
The new Mulsanne was unveiled at the 2009 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, followed by 2009 Frankfurt motor show, 2010 North American International Auto Show, 2012 Qatar International Motor Show.
Deliveries to the UK began in Summer 2010.
Executive Interior Concept (2011)
Mulsanne Executive Interior Concept is a version of Mulsanne demonstrating a new multimedia connectivity concept designed for executives. It included 2 electric-powered, foldable wood veneer picnic tables in the rear cabin, each with Apple iPad and Apple Bluetooth keyboards; Apple Mac Mini stored in boot compartment, roof console with 15.6 in (40 cm) High Definition LED dropdown monitor, illuminated rear centre console fitted with twin individual armrests, rear console with Apple iPod (control panel), two cupholders, tissue box and large stowage area; Apple iPod controls (Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE) and audio system, Apple Media Centre, plays music and access to internet), 2 USB connectors provided for the Apple system and one Apple interface connector for the iPod, bespoke control keys on rear console operate picnic tables, reading lights, control HD LED screen and select video and audio options; Armrest with Tibaldi pen and Privacy Telephone handset, bespoke bottle cooler in rear centre console with illuminated double-glazed frosted glass door, additional multi-directional reading lights provided for each rear passenger and can be operated with Apple devices, mood lighting in the rear centre console (using multiple soft glowing LEDs), illuminated docking station and cup holders.
2013 Model Year Mulsanne, Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification (2012-)
Changes to Mulsanne include new optional Bentley-designed luxury bottle cooler and rear cabin storage area with space for two full-size Champagne bottles in a canted position, three hand‑blown and hand-cut lead crystal champagne flutes with white LED accent lighting (designed by David Redman of London), 21-inch 5-spoke Sports alloy wheel, optional tinted glass sunroof in the front cabin.
Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification is a version of Mulsanne with 21-inch light aluminium alloy wheels with race‑derived titanium fasteners, bright-finished rims in painted and polished finishes, 265/40 ZR21 tyres, sweeping wing vents in cast polished stainless steel, Drive Dynamics Control system with 'Sport' setting, leather hide on the front and rear seats and door casings features an intricate Diamond Quilting pattern with indented leather headlining, cool-metal interior door handles with 'knurled' or 'coined' surface finish, 'Organ Stop' air ventilation controls and gear lever, leather gear lever with Baseball-style cross stitch, accelerator and brake pedals in drilled alloy, choice of over 100 body colours, unbleached premium quality veneers (with two marquetry options), choice of 22 leather hides.
Mulsanne Mulliner Driving Specification was unveiled in 2012 Geneva Motor Show, followed by 2012 New York International Auto Show, 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show.
Mulsanne Diamond Jubilee Edition (2012-)
It is a limited (60 units) version of Mulsanne commemorating Queen Elizabeth II's birthday and Diamond Jubilee. It included bespoke embroidery to all four headrests using gold stitching, veneered picnic tables in the rear cabin decorated with a gold overlay depicting a royal carriage, hide cushions featuring the same motif, polished stainless steel treadplate plaques with 'Bentley Mulliner, England' script and 'Diamond Jubilee Edition'.
The vehicle was unveiled in Beijing International Automotive Exhibition in Sanlitun district.
Mulsanne Convertible Concept (2012?)
It is a concept vehicle based on Bentley Mulsanne, with convertible body.
Mulsanne Executive Interior (2012-)
The design of Mulsanne Executive Interior was based on Mulsanne Executive Interior Concept. The car is offered in two Specifications, Theatre and iPad. The iPad Specification includes 2 electrically-deployed veneered picnic tables for rear passengers (colour-matched to the seats of the Mulsanne), twin iPads with wireless keyboards. Mulsanne Theatre Specification includes a 15.6-inch centrally located HD LED screen or 8-inch screens fitted within the front seat headrests, boot-mounted Apple Mac computer.
Mulsanne Executive Interior with iPad Specification was unveiled in 2012 Moscow International Auto Salon.
Mulsanne Le Mans Edition (2013-)
It is a limited (48 units per model) version of Mulsanne for North American market, commemorating Bentley's six victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Each car includes a unique Le Mans Edition numbered badge, Le Mans Edition clock face, embroidered Le Mans badge to each headrest, tread plates with the limited edition name, unique Le Mans Edition wheels and specific interior veneers and exterior colours. The vehicles were made in 6 models, named after the winning drivers:
|John Duff||Moonbeam||Two-tone Linen and Beluga||Contrast||Piano Black and Bright Aluminium|
|Dudley Benjafield||Verdant||Two-tone Linen and Cumbrian Green||Contrast||Dark Stain Burr Walnut and Bright Aluminium|
|Woolf Barnato||Granite||Hotspur||Beluga||Dark Stain Burr Walnut with Dark Aluminium|
|Tim Birkin||Glacier White||Beluga||White||Piano Black and Bright Aluminium|
|Glen Kidston||Dark Sapphire||Two-tone Newmarket Tan and Imperial Blue||Contrast||Dark Stain Burr Walnut and Dark Aluminium|
|Guy Smith||Beluga||Beluga||Hotspur||Piano Black and Dark Aluminium|
The vehicles went on sale in third quarter of 2013.
The vehicle was unveiled in 2013 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
Features include stainless steel knobs on the dashboard that control the vent plungers are electronic micro switches that control electric servos. The feedback remains that of a metal rod to control the damper.
Customers have a choice of 114 paint colors, 21 carpet colors, nine wood veneers, and 24 interior leather hides, as well as specify a custom color scheme. The rear seating area may be configured to accommodate either 2 or 3 passengers. Optional is a Naim 2200 watt audio system with MP3, Bluetooth, and an MMI capability.
Winter accessories were introduced in 2011.
2013 equipment update (2013-)
Comfort Specification includes new comfort headrests with manually adjustable wings for lateral support, new footrests with trimmed in flat-cut cabin carpet and hide to match each individual vehicle, fine duck down filled loose cushions seat, new rear door armrest storage compartment as standard.
Entertainment Specification includes picnic tables with iPad and keyboard compartment, an adjustable screen angle with an anti-trap sensor; 2 8-inch LCD headrest screens 20 GB hard drive and DVD player (played through a ‘Naim for Bentley’ premium audio system), two sets of Bluetooth headphones and a remote control.
Bespoke Mulsanne Fitted Luggage includes six luggage pieces (two large cases, two small cases and two foldable garment bags) inspired by the inner door panel design of the car, produced by Italian luggage specialists Schedoni. The items can be purchased as a full 6 piece set, single or multiple bags. Each set can be colour personalised, matching the primary hide colour of the interior of the car or the secondary, or even combining both.
Other options include rear cabin privacy curtains in Black or Ivory, a Wi-Fi router with a high speed Universal Mobile Telecommunications System (UMTS) phone module and SIM card reader in glove box, a dedicated antenna housed in the boot lid outside of the vehicle's steel frame, 3 new colours (Dark Cashmere, Portofino and Damson), 3 new hide colours (Damson, Saffron and Brunel).
The enhanced Mulsanne was unveiled in 2013 Geneva International Salon d’Auto. Customer orders began in April 2013.
|Mulsanne||2010–||6,752 cc (412.0 cu in) V8 twin turbo||512 PS (377 kW; 505 hp)@4200, 1,020 N·m (752 lb·ft)@1750|
|Mulsanne||2010–||8-speed ZF automatic with electronic shift interface, sport mode and steering wheel mounted paddleshift|
Each car takes twelve weeks to produce.
Production begin at Crewe plant in Spring 2010.
Mulsanne competed in 2012 Goodwood Festival of Speed hill climb.
Mulsanne was used as 2012 Nürburgring 24 Hour Race official parade car.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bentley Mulsanne (2009).|
- Condon, Josh. "Bentley Mulsanne: The famed British saloon builder replaces the Arnage with an all-new stunner.". MSN Autos. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
- "Bentley Mulsanne Detailed Specifications". Retrieved 2012-02-17.
- Raynal, Wes (June 7, 2010). "Big Beauty". AutoWeek 60 (11): 20–22.
- "Bentley Mulsanne, the all-new grand Bentley". BentleyMotors.com. Retrieved 1 September 2009.
- Joseph, Noah (2009-09-24). "RBentley Mulsanne to spawn coupe and convertible to replace Brooklands and Azure". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 2010-10-02.
- "The New Bentley Mulsanne Launch Date Announced". Carpages.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-10-02.
- Ulrich, Lawrence (30 September 2011). "A Threat to the Job Security of Chauffeurs". The New York Times.
- "British luxury built from the ground up". The New Zealand Herald. 19 August 2009. Retrieved 1 September 2009.
- NEW BENTLEY MULSANNE MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS D’ELEGANCE, CALIFORNIA
- BENTLEY MOTORS SHOWCASES NEW FLAGSHIP MULSANNE AND SERIES 51 CONTINENTAL GTC AT DETROIT MOTOR SHOW
- BENTLEY AT THE QATAR INTERNATIONAL MOTOR SHOW
- "First 2011 Bentley Mulsanne sells for $550,000 at auction". MotorAuthority.com. 18 August 2009. Retrieved 1 September 2009.
- Glucker, Jeff. "Bentley Mulsanne Executive Interior Concept is how to roll like a real boss". AutoBlog. Aol. Retrieved 8 October 2012.
- CONNECTIVITY MEETS CRAFTSMANSHIP
- BENTLEY GTC CONVERTIBLE MAKES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT AT LA SHOW
- BENTLEY REVEALS NEW MULSANNE MULLINER DRIVING SPECIFICATION
- BENTLEY SHOWCASES NEW MULSANNE MULLINER DRIVING SPECIFICATION IN NEW YORK
- BENTLEY TO TAKE GOODWOOD FESTIVAL OF SPEED BY STORM
- BENTLEY SHOWCASES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUTS
- BENTLEY HONOURS ROYAL DIAMOND JUBILEE WITH 60 SPECIAL MULSANNES
- BENTLEY ANNOUNCES NEW MULSANNE VISION – THE WORLD’S MOST ELEGANT CONVERTIBLE
- THREE PREMIERES FOR BENTLEY AT MOSCOW SHOW
- BENTLEY ANNOUNCES LE MANS LIMITED EDITION MULSANNE AND CONTINENTAL MODELS
- MULSANNE LE MANS LIMITED EDITION MAKES NORTH AMERICAN DEBUT AT PEBBLE BEACH
- "2011 Bentley Mulsanne Reviews". Autos.aol.com. Retrieved 2012-04-06.
- BENTLEY-APPROVED WINTER ACCESSORIES RANGE
- ENHANCED SPECIFICATION FOR THE BENTLEY MULSANNE - THE ULTIMATE GRAND TOURER
- Martin, James (9 April 2011). "Some things the Germans need a hand with - like building the Bentley Mulsanne". London: Mail Online. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- BENTLEY V8 THUNDERS OVER GOODWOOD’S HILLS
- BENTLEY ON PARADE AT THE NÜRBURGRING 24 HOURS
|Bentley timeline, 1920s–present|
|Ownership||Bentley Motors Limited
Bentley Motors (1931) Limited
Bentley Motors (1931) Limited
|3 L||4½ L
|Cars with Bentley own-factory coachwork|
|Bentleys on the Volkswagen platform|
|« previous — Bentley, a subsidiary of the Volkswagen Group, automobile timeline, 1998–present|
|Saloon||Arnage||Continental Flying Spur||Flying Spur|
|Red Label||Arnage R/T||New Mulsanne|
|Coupé||Continental R||Continental GT||Continental GT|
|Continental T||Brooklands Coupé|
|Convertible||Continental GTC||Continental GTC|
|Color code||Old Mulsanne-based||Arnage-based||Continental GT-based||New Mulsanne-based|