Bentley State Limousine
|Bentley State Limousine|
|Manufacturer||Bentley Motors Ltd as a marque of the Volkswagen Group|
|Engine||twin-turbocharged 6.75-litre Rolls-Royce V8|
|Wheelbase||3,844 mm (151 in)|
|Length||6,220 mm (245 in)|
|Width||2,000 mm (79 in)|
|Height||1,770 mm (70 in)|
The vehicle's twin-turbocharged, 6.75-litre V8 engine has been modified from Bentley's Arnage R version to produce 400 hp (300 kW) and 616 lb·ft (835 N·m) of torque. Its maximum speed is 130 mph (210 km/h).
The State Limousine is 83.0 cm (2.723 ft) longer than a standard Bentley Arnage, 25.5 cm (10.0 in) taller, and 6.8 cm (2.7 in) wider. It is equipped with broad coach doors that open to the rear almost 90 degrees. Opaque panels over the backlight of the car can be installed for either added privacy or removed for added visibility of its passengers. For protection of its occupants, the bodywork and glass are armoured, the cabin can be sealed air-tight in case of gas attack and is also blast-resistant, and the tyres are kevlar-reinforced.
The Bentley is used only on official engagements, and is always escorted by a selection of marked and unmarked Royal Protection Squad vehicles and local police vehicles and motorcycle outriders. The Queen also uses it to travel to church when at Balmoral and Sandringham House. When abroad, the Queen may use other state cars or something provided by her hosts.
Like all British state cars, the Bentley has a mount on its roof for an illuminated crest and a pennant, which can be inserted from inside the vehicle. These both usually feature the Royal Standard, although other symbols can be used for occasions such as a state visit. When the Queen is on board, the Bentley "Flying B" bonnet ornament is either replaced by Her Majesty's personal mascot of Saint George slaying the dragon or a single standing Lion. The limousines are equipped with flashing lights, 34 grill and two on the front bumper, that are occasionally put to use. The State Limousines do not have number plates. The Bentley is claret and black like all the British state limousines.
The unique bodywork was built by Bentley's Mulliner coachbuilding division.
Only two of these vehicles were built, making it even rarer than the Rolls-Royce Phantom IV, of which just 18 were built for royalty and heads of state.
- Noah Joseph (2008-04-28). "On Her Majesty's Service: 2002 Bentley State Limousine". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- K.-J. Roßfeldt. "Bentley Golden Jubilee (2002), Bentley State Limousine for H.M. The Queen". rrab.com. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- "Royal Cars From The Royal Wedding". automotivecraze.com. 2011-05-03. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- 4wheelsnews: Royal Bentleys to run on biofuels
- Bentley one-off limo to feature at Buckingham Palace Coronation Festival
- BENTLEY STATE LIMOUSINE TO APPEAR AT THE CORONATION FESTIVAL
- "The Monarchy Today > Ceremony and symbol > Transport > Cars". Royal.gov.uk. 2011-05-03. Retrieved 2011-10-20.
- On Her Majesty's Service: 2002 Bentley State Limousine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2002 Bentley State Limousine.|
- Bentley Media page
- The Monarchy Today > Ceremony and symbol > Transport > Cars
- Bentley State Limousine for H.M. The Queen
- The Duke of York.org Cars. [dead link]
- The Queen arrives for a visit to Google's London HQ in the Bentley State Limousine
|Bentley timeline, 1920s–present|
|Ownership||Bentley Motors Limited
Bentley Motors (1931) Limited
Bentley Motors (1931) Limited
|3 L||4½ L
|Cars with Bentley own-factory coachwork|
|Bentleys on the Volkswagen platform|
|Bentley automobile timeline, 1980–2003 — next »|
|Mulsanne||Mulsanne S||Brooklands||Arnage||Arnage RL/R|
|Mulsanne Turbo||Turbo R||Turbo RT||Arnage Red Label||Arnage T|
|Continental S||Continental T|
|Color code||Silver Shadow-based||Mulsanne-based||Arnage-based|
|« previous — Bentley, a subsidiary of the Volkswagen Group, automobile timeline, 1998–present|
|Saloon||Arnage||Continental Flying Spur||Flying Spur|
|Red Label||Arnage R/T||New Mulsanne|
|Coupé||Continental R||Continental GT||Continental GT|
|Continental T||Brooklands Coupé|
|Convertible||Continental GTC||Continental GTC|
|Color code||Old Mulsanne-based||Arnage-based||Continental GT-based||New Mulsanne-based|