Berenika Schmitz, stage name Berenika, (born January 24, 1983) is an American concert pianist. She attended Professional Children's School in New York as well as the Juilliard School of Music. Upon finishing high school she went to Harvard University where she was the recipient of the Leonard Bernstein Scholarship. She graduated magna cum laude in both Music and Government. She then pursued her Masters degree at Christ Church, Oxford University and then her post-graduate diploma at the Royal Academy of Music, London.
She has performed worldwide with orchestras such as the Pittsburgh Symphony and Asheville Symphony, with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra under Jukka Pekka Saraste, the National Arts Centre Orchestra of Canada under Erich Kunzel, the Penderecki Festival Orchestra under Heinrich Schiff, the Boston Civic Symphony under Max Hobart in Jordan Hall, the Oxford Philomusica, the Winnipeg Symphony Orchestra, Santa Rosa Symphony, the RIC Symphony Orchestra, the New Philharmonic Orchestra, Florida, the Bialystock Philharmonic, Sinfonia Varsovia, Camerata New York, the Poznan Philharmonic, the Canadian Chamber Orchestra, the Christ Church Orchestra, the Beethoven Academy Orchestra and the Aspen Sinfonia. She toured South America as a soloist with the Youth Orchestra of the Americas performing in the major concert halls of Brazil, Panama, Peru, Uruguay, Costa Rica, and Argentina, including the Teatro Colón, Buenos Aires.
She has also performed in the Allen Room, Jazz at Lincoln Center and at the Wigmore Hall, London. She was the spokesperson for CASIO’s Privia, and was the Leonard Bernstein Fellow at the Tanglewood Music Center. She has been presented to the HM Queen Elizabeth II.
Berenika made a critically acclaimed live recording of the Beethoven Piano Concerto No. 3 with Sinfonietta Cracovia under John Axelrod, distributed by Universal Music Group.
She has been photographed by famous celebrity photographer Douglas Kirkland and dressed in American designer Halston.
A child prodigy, she performed as soloist with the Sault Symphony Orchestra at the age of 9.
- Zernike, Kate (May 23, 2000). "From Curtain Calls to Ivy Halls". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "A concert tour of England and Scotland". Performing Arts & Entertainment in Canada. March 22, 1998. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Arts Do Not Prove Summers’ ‘Forte’". The Harvard Crimson. October 27, 2003. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Popular Piano Gala returns to festival, Liszt makes cameo". The Hamilton Spectator. September 29, 2007. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Berenika Zakrzewski pianistka polskiego pochodzenia". Gazeta Wyborcza. August 23, 2002. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Santa Rosa Symphony". Santa Rosa Symphony. March 15, 2011. Retrieved March 15, 2011.
- "Review: Berenika adds lustre to Santa Rosa Symphony". Review. March 15, 2011. Retrieved March 15, 2011.
- "Pasierbica królewną?". Gazeta Wyborcza. October 18, 1999. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Słowa, rytmy i harmonie". Gazeta Wyborcza. December 1, 2003. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "Young ambassadors of world harmony". Americas. November 1, 2003. Retrieved 2009-02-06.
- "An Interview with Pianist, Berenika". Hank Zauderer. March 15, 2011. Retrieved March 15, 2011.