Beresina, or the Last Days of Switzerland
|Beresina, or the Last Days of Switzerland|
|Directed by||Daniel Schmid|
|Produced by||Marcel Hoehn|
|Written by||Martin Suter|
|Running time||108 minutes|
Beresina, or the Last Days of Switzerland (German: Beresina oder Die letzten Tage der Schweiz) is a 1999 satiric comedy film by Swiss director Daniel Schmid. It chronicles the story of Irina, a Russian call girl arriving in Switzerland, whose innocent attempt to live the high life there triggers unintended coup d'etat in the country. The title Beresina refers to the Beresinalied, a patriotic song used as the code for initiating the Putsch.
The film is a black comedy where all aspects of Swiss life are satirized in anecdotes. The heroine deals with a retired P-26 officer who appears as her false "sponsor" and various sexual perverts at the top of Swiss social hierarchy. Their attitudes to immigrants are also depicted ironically. Even the national identity and modern history of Switzerland are caricaturized in the country's first ever coup d'état sequences. The film culminates with Irina's coronation as Queen of Switzerland.
- Yelena Panova - Irina
- Geraldine Chaplin - Charlotte De
- Martin Benrath - Alt-Divisionär Sturzenegger
- Ulrich Noethen - Dr. Alfred Waldvogel
- Iván Darvas - Direktor Vetterli
- Marina Confalone - Benedetta Hösli
- Stefan Kurt - Claude Bürki
- Hans-Peter Korff - Nationalrat Tschanz
- Joachim Tomaschewsky - Alt Bundesrat von Gunten
- Ulrich Beck
- Ivan Desny - Rudolf Stauffacher
- Schuyler Landolt
- Hilde Ziegler - Frau Vetterli
The film was praised by Variety, where Shmid "applies his wicked sense of humour", to create a "rollicking socio-political farce that roasts just about everyone in power." The review also explained how Smid uses "black humour to expose Swiss high society as a hypocritical facade hiding secrets from money-laundering to pimping, with the banks involved in absolutely everything."
- "Festival de Cannes: Beresina, or the Last Days of Switzerland". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-10-09.
- Young, Deborah. Beresina, or the Last Days of Switzerland. Variety. 7 June 1999. p. 29
- Beresina oder Die letzten Tage der Schweiz at the Internet Movie Database
- Beresina, or the Last Days of Switzerland at AllMovie
|This 1990s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a Swiss film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|