Southwestern tip of Bergen Point
|Elevation||7 ft (2 m)|
|GNIS feature ID||874681|
Bergen Point is a point of land that lends its name to the adjacent neighborhood in Bayonne in Hudson County, New Jersey, United States. The point is located on the north side of Kill van Kull at Newark Bay. It is the section of the city closest to the Bayonne Bridge. Historically the term has been used more broadly as synonymous with Constable Hook, from which it is geographically separated at Port Johnson.
The area was connected to Staten Island with a ferry as early as the late 17th century, and was later developed as a resort. In the late 18th century it become more prominent as a ferry landing for travellers between New York and Philadelphia. The Bergen Point Lighthouse, built offshore in 1849, was demolished and replaced with a skeletal tower in the mid 20th century. A charter was granted for the construction of The Jersey City and Bergen Point Plank Road in 1851.
Governor of New Jersey Jon Corzine announced on May 6, 2006, that funding was in place to extend the Hudson-Bergen Light Rail system to Eighth Street. Work was completed and the station opened in January 2011.
- Bergen Neck
- Hackensack RiverWalk
- Geography of New York–New Jersey Harbor Estuary
- Port of New York and New Jersey
- "Bergen Point". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Locality Search, State of New Jersey. Accessed February 7, 2015.
- Hudson County New Jersey Street Map. Hagstrom Map Company, Inc. 2008. ISBN 0-88097-763-9.
- Bergen Point
- Paulus Hook Ferry
- Bergen Point Lighthouse, 1849-1949, New Jersey Lighthouse Society.
- Laws of the State of New Jersey, 1811, pp. 337-340
- Frassinelli, Mike. "NJ Transit opens Bayonne 8th Street Station, extending Hudson-Bergen Light Rail service", The Star-Ledger, January 31, 2011. Accessed August 25, 2013.
- "Part of What the World Did not Know Until Now" (PDF). Bayonne Public Library. November 19, 1946.
- Bergen Point West Reach data station ID 8519483 Physical Oceanographic Real-Time System, NOAA.
- Bayonne Constable Hook Cemetery.
|This New Jersey state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|