|Political alignment||None officially (traditionally Liberal)|
|Language||Norwegian (Bokmål and Nynorsk)|
Bergens Tidende is Norway's fifth largest newspaper and largest newspaper outside Oslo. It is owned by Schibsted. Circulation numbers peaked at 100,000 copies in 1988, later dropping to 73,470 copies by 2013.
History and profile
Founded in 1868, Bergens Tidende is based in Bergen. The newspaper is published in two sections. Section one contains op-eds, general news, sports and weather. Section two contains culture, views, local news and television listings. The feature magazine BTMagasinet is published on Saturdays.
Bergens Tidende is a fully owned subsidiary of Media Norge, which is the holding company of Aftenposten, Stavanger Aftenblad and Fædrelandsvennen. Media Norge, owned by Schibsted, acquired Bergens Tidende in 2008. The paper began to be published in tabloid format in 2006.
In 2005 Bergens Tidende reached approximately 260,000 readers every day, mainly in the counties of Hordaland and Sogn og Fjordane. Its circulation was about 87,000 copies in 2007. In 2008 the paper had a circulation of 85,825 copies.
List of Editors in chief
- Edvard Larssen, Jan - Apr 1868
- Johan Hekleberg, 1868–1869
- David Chrystie Habe, 1869–1871
- Olav Lofthus, 1872–1894
- Finn Bøgh Henriksen, 1894–1902
- K. F. Dahl, 1902–1903
- Finn Bøgh Henriksen, 1903–1942
- Vidkunn Nitter Schreiner, 1942–1945
- Håkon Torsvik, 1945–1956
- Ingemund Fænn, 1956–1977
- Kjartan Rødland, 1977–1986
- Einar Eriksen, 1986–1991
- Magne Gaasemyr, 1991–1994
- Hans Erik Matre, 1994–1997
- Einar Hålien, 1997–2008
- Trine Eilertsen, 2008-2012
- Gard Steiro, 2012-
- Circulation and reading of Norwegian newspapers
- "Conditions for Media Norge Merger". Competition Authority. 4 November 2008. Retrieved 20 January 2015.
- Olav Anders Øvrebø (2008). "Journalism After the Monopoly on Publishing has been Broken" (BOOK CHAPTER). Bergen Open Research Archive. Retrieved 29 December 2014.
- Award 2011 European Newspapers Congress. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- Circulation and reading of Norwegian newspapers, published 14 February 2008
- Craig Carroll (1 September 2010). Corporate Reputation and the News Media: Agenda-setting Within Business News Coverage in Developed, Emerging, and Frontier Markets. Routledge. p. 155. ISBN 978-1-135-25244-1. Retrieved 8 December 2014.