Bergeron is a surname of French origin.
The name Bergeron may be derived from the Old German word berg, meaning hill or mountain. It may also be derived from the old French berger, meaning shepherd.
Spelling variations include: Bergetron, Berger, Bergey, Bergez, Bergier, Bergeret, Bergerot, Bergereau, Bergeron, Bergerron, Bergerone, Bergeronne, Bergeronneau, Bergerat, Bergerie, Bergère, Bergière, Bergiron, Bergirone, Bergironne, le Berger, le Bergeron, de Bergeron, Leberger and many more.
First found in Burgundy, where the family was anciently seated.
Some of the first North American settlers of this name or some of its variants were: André Bergeron, who settled in Quebec from Charente-Maritime in 1666; Jacques Bergeron, who arrived in Quebec from Guyenne in 1676; Francois Bergeron,who arrived in Quebec from Poitou in 1676. Barthélemy Bergeron d'Amboise came to Quebec in 1684 but settled in Acadia by 1695.
Following the Acadian diaspora of 1755, the Bergeron name is found today along the southeast coast of the U.S., and especially in South Louisiana.
People named Bergeron
- Bryan Bergeron, an author of books in the field of computers
- David Bergeron, an NFL linebacker with the Carolina Panthers
- Geneviève Bergeron, a victim of École Polytechnique massacre
- Jean-François Bergeron (boxer) Canadian boxer
- Ken "Sorceron" Bergeron, founder and vocalist of Abigail Williams
- Marc-André Bergeron, a French Canadian professional hockey defenceman.
- Patrice Bergeron, a Canadian ice hockey centre in the National Hockey League
- Peter Bergeron, a professional baseball player
- Peter Bergeron, a professional DR employee
- Stéphane Bergeron, a Canadian politician
- Suzanne Bergeron, Professor of Women’s Studies and Social Sciences at the University of Michigan at Dearborn
- Tom Bergeron, an American television personality and game show host
- Tor Bergeron, a Swedish meteorologist
- Victor Bergeron, the founder of Trader Vic's
- Wayne Bergeron, professional trumpet player
- Joe Bergeron, an artist, author, and astronomy popularizer
- "Harrison Bergeron" is a science fiction short story by Kurt Vonnegut, and the name of the principal character.
|This page or section lists people with the surname Bergeron. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|