Berlin Potsdamer Platz station
|Berlin Potsdamer Platz|
|Type||Hp long distance
|DS100 code||BPOF long distance
|Construction and location|
|List of railway stations in the Berlin area|
The first station at Potsdamer Platz was the Potsdamer Bahnhof terminus, which was closed on 27 September 1945 due to war damage. The S-Bahn station, situated in the Nord-Süd-Tunnel, was situated directly under the Berlin Wall and became a ghost station between 1961 and 1989.
The station was extensively remodeled and rebuilt in the 1990s.
The station also has the U2 line of the Berlin U-Bahn calling at a subterranean platform. It was built by the great architect A.Grenander in 1902. But after 5 years another platform opened just 180m to the southwest at Leipziger Platz. Until 1923 the station was known also under the name Leipziger Platz. From then the name was Potsdamer Platz.
For a brief time during 1991, the site was served by Kemperplatz station, slightly to the north-west and on the M-Bahn. Following reunification, the M-Bahn was removed to allow U-Bahn U2 to be reinstated.
The station is served by the following services:
- intercity service (InterConnex) Warnemünde – Rostock – Neustrelitz – Berlin – Leipzig
- Regional-Express (RE 3) Stralsund – Greifswald – Pasewalk – Angermünde – Berlin – Elsterwerda
- Regional-Express (RE 3) Schwedt – Angermünde – Berlin – Wünsdorf-Waldstadt
- Regional-Express (RE 4) Rathenow – Berlin – Ludwigsfelde – Jüterbog
- Regional-Express (RE 5) Rostock – Neustrelitz – Berlin – Jüterbog – Lutherstadt Wittenberg
- Regional-Express (RE 5) Stralsund – Neustrelitz – Berlin – Jüterbog – Falkenberg (Elster)
|IRE25||Berlin-Gesundbrunnen – Berlin Hbf – Potsdamer Platz – Berlin Südkreuz – Magdeburg Hbf|
|Preceding station||Deutsche Bahn||Following station|
toward Magdeburg Hbf
|Preceding station||Berlin S-Bahn||Following station|
toward Teltow Stadt
|Preceding station||Berlin U-Bahn||Following station|
The long-distance station is, strictly speaking, not a station but just a stop, as it lacks the points required to be classified as a station under German law.
- J. Meyer-Kronthaler, Berlins U-Bahnhöfe, Berlin: be.bra, 1996
Media related to Berlin Potsdamer Platz station at Wikimedia Commons
- Station information (S-Bahn) (German)