|Bermagui River (Permageua)|
|An open and trained semi-mature wave dominated barrier estuary; or Perennial river|
An aerial view of the mouth of the Bermagui River, pictured bottom left, 2011.
|Name origin: Aboriginal Dyirringanj: canoe with paddles|
|State||New South Wales|
|Regions||South East Corner (IBRA), South Coast|
|Local government area||Bega Valley|
|Source confluence||Coolagolite Creek and Nutleys Creek|
|- location||Bermagui South|
|- elevation||26 m (85 ft)|
|Mouth||Tasman Sea, South Pacific Ocean|
|- location||near Bermagui|
|Length||7 km (4 mi)|
|Depth||2.2 m (7 ft)|
|Basin||296 km2 (114 sq mi)|
|Area||4.7 km2 (2 sq mi)|
|Nature reserve||Bermagui Nature Reserve|
|Website: NSW Environment & Heritage webpage|
Course and features
Formed by the confluence of the Coolagolite Creek and Nutleys Creek, near Bermagui South, the Bermagui River flows generally east, before reaching its mouth into the Tasman Sea of the South Pacific Ocean near Bermagui. The river descends 26 metres (85 ft) over its 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) course.
The catchment area of the river is 83 square kilometres (32 sq mi) with a volume of 2,160 megalitres (76×106 cu ft) over a surface area of 2.2 square kilometres (0.85 sq mi), at an average depth of 1.1 metres (3 ft 7 in).
- Reed, A. W. (1973). Place names of Australia (paperback ed.). Sydney: Reed. p. 30. ISBN 978-0-589-07115-8.
- "Bermagui". The Sydney Morning Herald. 8 February 2004. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- Roy, P. S; Williams, R. J; Jones, A. R; Yassini, I; et al. (2001). "Structure and Function of South-east Australian Estuaries". Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 53: 351–384. doi:10.1006/ecss.2001.0796.
- "Bermagui River". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Map of Bermagui River, NSW". Bonzle Digital Atlas of Australia. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "Bermagui River". Coastal and floodplain management: Coastal zone management: Estuaries of NSW. NSW Environment and Heritage. 26 April 2012. Retrieved 1 June 2013.