Bern's Steak House
|Headquarters||Tampa, FL, United States|
Chef De Cuisine: Habteab HamdeExecutive Pastry Chef: Kim Yelvington
It has a sister restaurant, Side Bern's, and a wine and liquor store, Bern's Fine Wine & Spirits. In 1996, Wine Spectator rated Bern's in a tie for the best steak house in the United States. In 2009 Rachael Ray rated Bern's as the best restaurant in America, having beat out over a dozen top-rated steakhouses across the U.S. In 2010 industry magazine Nation's Restaurant News deemed Bern's a "Top 50 All-American icon."
Bern's Steak House is famous for not only its food, much of which is organic and grown especially for Bern's, but also for its massive wine list. Bern's has the largest wine list of any restaurant in the world. In its cellars can be found depression-era French red wine, pre-war Sauternes, and Madeira from the 17th century. Diners can take a tour of the wine cellar as well as the kitchen at Bern's after their meal. Bern's boasts the largest private wine collection in the world, and due to this status has quite a following of wine aficionados. Bern's is one of three locations that annually host "Winefest", the second largest private fundraiser for charity in the Tampa Bay area, the first being "Taste of Tampa".
The establishment also boasts a private dessert room, the Harry Waugh Dessert Room.
Another notable feature of Bern's Steak House is that there is only one single window in the entire establishment, although it is not viewable by customers.
- Houck, Jeff (2012-05-30). "The Bern's legend: Separating fact from fiction". The Tampa Tribune. Retrieved 2013-04-24.
- "Rating Steak Houses". Wine Spectator. 1996-03-31. Archived from the original on 2002-12-17. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- "Secret service: President dines discreetly at Florida steakhouse". Nation's Restaurant News. 2001-06-18. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- Karp, David (2004-02-17). "Tampa mayor's day has no time for Bush". St. Petersburg Times. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- Whitaker, Aja (2004-04-09). "Bern's shapes Winefest to serve many purposes". Tampa Bay Business Journal. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- Mariani, John (Winter 1993). "Ready for Prime Time: A Good Steak Is Hard to Find". Cigar Aficionado. Retrieved 2007-08-25.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bern's Steak House.|