Bern Nadette Stanis
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2012)|
|Bern Nadette Stanis|
Stanis speaks to Cabrini-Green residents in Chicago, 2010.
December 22, 1953
Brooklyn, New York, United States
|Other names||Bern Nadette Stanis
|Spouse(s)||Kevin Fontana (1981–present) (2 children)
Tom Fauntleroy (1975–1980)
Stanis was born Bernadette Stanislaus in Brooklyn, New York. She studied at the Juilliard School, but left during her sophomore year when she accepted the role of Thelma on Good Times and moved to California.
Stanis played the role of middle child Thelma Evans on Good Times from 1974 to 1979. After Good Times ended, she made appearances on several television shows, including The Cosby Show and What's Happening Now!!. She and former co-star Jimmie Walker lent their voices to a radio spot for AT&T. Stanis was most recently seen in a Nationwide Insurance commercial. Stanis has been featured in several promotions for the TV One network. She appeared in a "Thelma" promotion that aired on September 19, 2009 alongside actress Anna Maria Horsford in the "Battle of the Thelmas" that specifically aired their weddings from their prospective TV series (Horsford portrayed "Thelma Frye" in the TV series Amen). During the "Way Black Then" promotions in February 2010 (in honor of Black History Month), both she and Walker appeared on a 30 minute program titled "Color TV" to share their memories and thoughts on "Good Times." In April 2010, Stanis starred in Marlon Campbell's Momma and Me situation comedy, which is now being shopped to cable and broadcast television networks. One of Stanis' most recent television appearances was on the UPN sitcom Girlfriends, where she played the cousin of Maya Wilkes. In the episode, William Dent (Reggie Hayes) expresses a strong desire to meet Thelma from Good Times. Maya reveals that Stanis is her cousin and agrees to arrange a date. Her latest appeararance was on TV One's show Life After.
Stanis currently lives in Los Angeles, California, with her husband Kevin Fontana, whom she married in 1981. They have two daughters, Dior and Brittany. She is the author of two books, Situations 101: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly and a collection of her poetry entitled, For Men Only.
- N-Secure (2010)
- In the Midnight Hours (2009) as Cheryl
- The Adventures of Umbweki (2009) (post-production) as Usahnisa
- CAUTION! Heartache Ahead (2009) as Vera
- The Engagement: My Phamily BBQ 2 (2006) as Mrs. Clark
- Still 'Bout It (2004) (V) as Aunt Tee Dee
- Land of the Free? (2004) as Psychiatrist
- Girlfriends as Herself (1 episode, 2003)
- Hidden Blessings (2000) (TV) as Jackson's lawyer
- The Parent 'Hood as L'Tonya, T.K.'s Mother (1 episode, 1999)
- The Wayans Bros. as Thelma Evans (1 episode, 1997)
- The Good News (1 episode, 1997)
- The Cosby Show as Carolyn Thompson (1 episode, 1991)
- What's Happening Now!! as Marcie (1 episode, 1985)
- The Love Boat as Jane Reeves (1 episode, 1980)
- Good Times as Thelma Evans (133 episodes, 1974–1979)
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Bern Nadette Stanis|