Bernadette Mayer (born May 12, 1945, Brooklyn, New York) is a poet and prose writer. In 1967 she received a BA from New School for Social Research. She has since edited the journal 0 TO 9 with Vito Acconci and the United Artists Press with Lewis Warsh. In 1995, she received a Grants to Artists Award from the Foundation for Contemporary Arts.
Mayer has taught at the New School for Social Research and the Poetry Project at St. Mark's Church in New York.
- Story, New York: 0 to 9 Press, 1968.
- Moving, New York: Angel Hair, 1971.
- Memory, Plainfield, VT: North Atlantic Books, 1976.
- Ceremony Latin (1964), New York: Angel Hair, 1975.
- Studying Hunger, New York: Adventures in Poetry/ Bolinas, CA: Big Sky, 1976.
- Poetry, New York: Kulchur Foundation, 1976.
- Eruditio Ex Memoria, Lenox, MA: Angel Hair, 1977.
- The Golden Book of Words, Lenox, MA: Angel Hair, 1978.
- Midwinter Day, Berkeley, CA: Turtle Island Foundation, 1982.
- Utopia, New York: United Artists Books, 1984.
- Mutual Aid (Mademoiselle de la Mole Press, 1985)
- Sonnets, New York: Tender Buttons, 1989.
- The Formal Field of Kissing, New York: Catchword Papers, 1990.
- A Bernadette Mayer Reader, New York: New Directions, 1992.
- The Desires of Mothers to Please Others in Letters, West Stockbridge, MA: Hard Press, 1994.
- Another Smashed Pinecone, New York: United Artists Books, 1998.
- Proper Name & other stories, New York: New Directions, 1996.
- Two Haloed Mourners: Poems, New York: Granary Books, 1998.
- Midwinter Day, New York: New Directions, 1999 (reprint of 1982 edition).
- Scarlet Tanager, New York: New Directions, 2005.
- Poetry State Forest, New York: New Directions, 2008.
- Ethics of Sleep, New Orleans: Trembling Pillow Press, 2011.
- Studying Hunger Journals, Barrytown, NY: Station Hill Press, 2011.
- ^ *Mayer, Bernadette (2005). Scarlet tanager. New Directions Publishing. ISBN 978-0-8112-1582-4.
- Smith, Dinitia. "Fresh Look At A Syntax Skewer". The New York Times.
- Burt, Stephen. "Mother Tongues". Village Voice (New York, NY).
- Corbett, William (1989). "Review: Nine Brief Reviews by William Corbett". Harvard Book Review (13/14): 27–28. ISSN 1080-6067.
- Bendall, Molly (1993). "Review: [untitled]". The Antioch Review 51 (3): 466. ISSN 0003-5769.
- "'The Art of Self-Indulgence'". The Washington Post.
- Burnham, Emily (2008-06-07). "Words processing; UMaine's Poetry of the 1970s conference dissects a decade". Bangor Daily News (Maine).