|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (August 2013)|
Bernadette Wegenstein is a Research Professor and director of the Center for Advanced Media Studies at Johns Hopkins University. She has written books on media theory including Getting Under the Skin: Body and Media Theory, The Cosmetic Gaze: Body Modification and the Construction of Beauty.
She received a doctorate from University of Vienna in 1998 with a thesis "Die Darstellung von Aids in den Medien : semio-linguistische Analyse und Interpretation" ("The portrayal of AIDS in the media: linguistic semiotic analysis and interpretation") Copies of the thesis are held in 3t5WorldCat libraries. she subsequently became an Assistant Professor at the University of Buffalo.
In her book The Cosmetic Gaze she analyzes the body as a medium of the gaze. This medium is best exemplified in Reality TV makeover shows, such as The Swan where contestants are made over and revealed with drastic changes.
- Wegenstein, Bernadette. The Cosmetic Gaze: Body Modification and the Construction of Beauty. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press, 2012. ISBN 9780262232678 According to WorldCat, the book is held in 284 libraries 
- Review, by E van Uden Women's Studies International Forum, v38 (201305/06): 151-152
- Wegenstein, Bernadette. Getting Under the Skin: The Body and Media Theory. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press, 2006. ISBN According to WorldCat, the book is held in 964 libraries 
- Review, by Lucy Nicholas Convergence, 13, no. 3 (2007): 325-326
- Review, by Jody Shipka JAC (Journal of Advanced Composition), v27 n3/4 (2007): 862-866 
She also is a contributor to the book: re:skin edited by Mary Flanagan, and has wrtiten a number of academic articles.
|This biographical article about an Austrian academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|