Bernard with Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013
|Full name||Bernard Anício Caldeira Duarte|
|Date of birth||1 September 1992|
|Place of birth||Belo Horizonte, Brazil|
|Height||1.65 m (5 ft 5 in)|
|Current club||Shakhtar Donetsk|
|1997–2006||Comercial EC do Barreiro|
|2010||→ Democrata (loan)||16||(14)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 3 December 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
A left-sided player, Bernard is known for his pace and energy.
Bernard started his footballing career in 2006, joining Atlético Mineiro's youth system, but was released twice because of his short height. In 2010, he was loaned to Democrata FC (a club which is made up entirely of Atlético Mineiro's youth players), to play in Campeonato Mineiro Third Level.
After being the top goalscorer at Democrata (14 goals in only 16 games), Bernard returned to Atlético. Despite being young enough to play in Copa São Paulo de Juniores, he was called up by the manager Dorival Júnior to play for first team.
He made his debut with the club in the match against Uberaba, on 23 March 2011 having to play in the right back position due to squad's injury crisis. He then returned to youth squads, scoring the winning goal of the Taça Belo Horizonte de Juniores.
After Dorival's dimissal and the appointment of Cuca, Bernard returned to first team squad. On 21 May, he made his Série A debut, against Atlético Paranaense. In his first season, Bernard appeared 23 times for Galo (19 starts, 1794 minutes overall). On 14 September, Atlético's president Alexandre Kalil rejected a £3.4 million bid from Al Ahli Doha.
He scored his first professional goal on 29 January 2012, against Boa Esporte. He then scored again against Caldense on 11 February, and twice against América-MG on 13 May, Campeonato Mineiro's final. His first Série A goal came on 23 June, in a 5–1 routing against Náutico. He finished the season with 36 appearances (all starts, 3100 minutes overall), scoring eleven times, leading the club (along with Ronaldinho and Jô) to a second place finish in the league. Bernard also won Brasileirão's Best Newcomer.
On 30 July 2013 Atletico Mineiro President Alexandre Kalil accepted an offer of £22 million from Ukrainian club Shakhtar Donetsk. However, the player's agent and father revealed his son has his heart set on joining FC Porto, although, Kalil revealed Shakhtar were the only club to submit an offer for the player.
On 8 August 2013 Shakhtar Donetsk announced the signing of Bernard on five year deal for a reported €25 million. Bernard stated he would travel to Ukraine by private plane to look at Shakhtar's facilities and claimed no deal was in place; now he has signed a five year deal. He made his debut for Ukranian side on the 31st, coming from the bench in the place of Douglas Costa, in the 1-1 draw with FC Metalist Kharkiv.
Bernard was called up for Brazilian national football team for the first time in 11 September 2012, to Superclásico de las Américas, by the coach Mano Menezes. Bernard, however, made his debut for Brazil on November 21, 2012, in 2012 Superclásico de las Américas 2nd leg, when Seleção won the title on penalties.
- (Correct as of 01 November 2013[update])
|Club||Season||National League||National Cup||Continental1||Other2||Total|
2 Including matches for State Leagues.
- Scores and results list Brazil's goal tally first.
|1.||16 November 2013||Sun Life Stadium, Miami, United States||Honduras||1–0||5–0||Friendly|
- Atlético Mineiro
- "Squad lists for the FIFA Confederations Cup Brazil 2013" (PDF). Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA). 7 June 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Atkins, Christopher. "World Cup 2014: Ten potential breakout stars". www.espnfc.com. Retrieved 14 June 2013.
- Entrevista Exclusiva: Bernard (Exclusive interview: Bernard); Galo de Prata, 12 December 2010 (Portuguese)
- Democrata já tem grupo definido para o mineiro (Democrata already has a definitive role to play in Mineiro); Portal Sete, 13 August 2010 (Portuguese)
- Além de reforços, Dorival Júnior vai receber jogadores da categoria de base (In addition to signings, Dorival Júnior will receive youth team players); Superesporte, 1 January 2011 (Portuguese)
- 201111 Atlético 1 x 1 Uberaba-MG; Galo Digital, 23 March 2011 (Portuguese)
- Elogiado por Dorival, Bernard comemora boa estreia na lateral (Praised by Dorival, Bernard celebrates good debut as a full back); Terra, 24 March 2011 (Portuguese)
- Match report – Clube Atlético Mineiro – Clube Atlético Paranaense, 21.05.2011 – Campeonato Brasileiro Série A; Transfermarkt, 21 May 2011
- Jovem Bernard desencanta e marca primeiro gol como profissional do Atlético (Bernard scores first professional goal for Atlético); Super Esportes, 29 January 2012 (Portuguese)
- Na estreia em BH, R49 faz um gol, e Atlético-MG goleia o Náutico por 5 a 1 (In BH's debut, R49 scores once, and Atlético-MG thrashes Náutico by 5–1); Globo Esporte, 23 June 2012 (Portuguese)
- Eleito revelação do Brasileirão, Bernard atribui feito a Ronaldinho: "Cresci com ele" (Elected Brasileirão's best newcomer, Bernard dedicates trophy to Ronaldinho: "I learned much with him"); UOL Esporte, 23 November 2012 (Portuguese)
- Após recusa de proposta pelo Atlético-MG, Bernard segue com futuro indefinido (After bid was rejected by Atlético-MG, Bernard is still has undetermined future); UOL Esporte, 19 December 2012 (Portuguese)
- Atletico Mineiro accept Shakhtar Donetsk's Bernard bid; Goal.com, 30 July 2013
- Shakhtar Donetsk announce Bernard signing; Goal.com, 8 August 2013
- Shakhtar vs Metalist: the strongest play out a draw; Shakhtar's official website, 31 August 2013
- Mano Menezes aposta em base paulista e Fabuloso para o Superclássico