Bernard Cerquiglini (2009)
A Graduate of the École normale supérieure de Saint-Cloud, having received an agrégé and a doctorate in letters, he was a teacher of linguistics in University of Paris VII, former director of the National Institute for the French language, former vice-president of the Conseil supérieur de la langue française and president of the French National Reading Observatory. In 1995 Bernard Cerquiglini joined the Oulipo. He was in charge of a governmental studies on a French orthography reform and about national languages in France. He received the title Doctor Honoris Causa at ULIM.
Cerquiglini's Eloge de la variante (Paris:Seuil, 1989; trans. in 1999 into English, In Praise of the Variant, 1999), marks the beginning of the scholarly paradigm referred to as "The New Medievalism" (also: The New Philology), which was critical of modernist positivist editorial practices for medieval texts. However, his claim that "[p]hilology is a bourgeois, paternalist, and hygienist system of thought about the family; it cherishes filiation, tracks down adulterers, and is afraid of contamination. Its thought is based on what is wrong (the variant being a form of deviant behaviour), and it is the basis for a positive methodology", was criticised by the Indologist Reinhold Grünendahl, who argued that the aim of Cerquiglini's work is not to contribution to a methodological debate but to confirm the premise of critical theory.
- Richard Utz, "Them Philologists: Philological Practices and Their Discontents from Nietzsche to Cerquiglini." The Year’s Work in Medievalism (2011): 4-12.
- Bernard Cerquiglini, In Praise of the Variant. A Critical History of Philology. Transl. by Betsy Wing. [Parallax]. Baltimore 1999, p. 49.
- Reinhold Grünendahl, "Post-philological Gestures — 'Deconstructing' Textual Criticism," Wiener Zeitschrift für die Kunde Südasiens 52-53 (2009-2010), pp.17-28. doi:10.1553/wzks2009-2010
- (French) Web site of the TV5 program Merci professeur !for see online
- (French) Les langues de la France, Rapport au Ministre de l'Education Nationale, de la Recherche et de la Technologie
- (French) Cerquiglini page on Oulipo web site
|This article on a French linguist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|