|Date of birth||23 January 1974|
|Place of birth||Saint-Doulchard, France|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|2002–2003||→ Ajaccio (loan)||15||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
† Appearances (Goals).
Diomède's career began with AJ Auxerre. After playing at the youth level for the Burgundy club, he made his Ligue 1 début in 1992. He played in the first team during eight years, under Guy Roux Auxerre won the Ligue 1 and Coupe de France double in 1996. The winger scored 30 goals in 175 Ligue 1 matches for Auxerre.
In June 2000, Diomède was signed for £3m by then Liverpool F.C. manager Gérard Houllier. Making his debut against Sunderland, Diomède appeared to have scored with an overhead kick, but the goal was not given even though replays showed that the ball had crossed the line. However, he did not settle in England, and only played five games for Liverpool. In January 2003 he was loaned out to AC Ajaccio, newly promoted in France's Ligue 1, until the end of his contract. After his spell at Liverpool had come to an end, he joined the Ligue 2 team Créteil, and then Clermont Foot in the Championnat National (3rd division). As of 18 January 2008, Bernard Diomede has announced his retirement after being without a club for the past 18 months.
He was capped eight times for the France national team, but never scored. Diomède received his first cap in a friendly against Spain on 28 January 1998. At the 1998 World Cup he started in three games, against Saudi Arabia and Denmark in the group stage and against Paraguay in the round of 16. He was unable to regain his place in the French national team after the 1998 World Cup.
On 18 January 2008, Diomède announced his retirement from the game after being without a club for 18 months.
He now runs the Bernard Diomede Football Academy at the Saint Nicolas high school in Issy les Moulineaux, just south of Paris.
- "Bernard Diomède at AJ Auxerre". histoaja.free.fr. Retrieved 4 December 2006.
- "Reds swoop for Diomede". BBC. 7 June 2000. Retrieved 4 December 2006.
- "Player Profile". lfchistory.net. Retrieved 16 January 2008.
- "Past Player Profile – Bernard Diomede". liverpoolfc.tv. Retrieved 4 December 2006.
- "Son, lumière, héros". UEFA. 8 November 2006. Retrieved 4 December 2006.[dead link]
- "Bernard Diomède – Liste des matchs joués". Fédération Française de Football. Retrieved 4 December 2006.
- "DIOMEDE HANGS UP HIS BOOTS". Football 365. Retrieved 18 January 2008.
- "Academie Bernard Diomede".
- "France honors World Cup winners – Government gives Legion of Honor to players, coaches". CNN/SI. 1 September 1998. Retrieved 20 July 2006.
- "Décret du 24 juillet 1998 portant nomination à titre exceptionnel". JORF 1998 (170): 11376. 25 July 1998. PREX9801916D. Retrieved 10 March 2009.