Bernard Fitzalan-Howard, 3rd Baron Howard of Glossop
Fitzalan-Howard was the eldest son of Francis Fitzalan-Howard, 2nd Baron Howard of Glossop and Clara Louisa (Greenwood), and grandson of Edward Fitzalan-Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Glossop, and was educated at the London Oratory School and Trinity College, Cambridge. He became a Captain in the Lovat Scouts during World War I and was awarded the MBE in 1920.
Marriage and children
- Miles Stapleton-Fitzalan-Howard, 17th Duke of Norfolk (1915–2002)
- Lord Michael Fitzalan-Howard (1916–2007)
- Lady Mariegold Magdalane Fitzalan-Howard (1919–2006), married Jerrie Jamieson, Esq. (son of Sir Archibald Jamieson).
- Lord Martin Fitzalan-Howard (1922–2003)
- Lady Miriam Fitzalan-Howard (1924–1996), married Lt-Cdr Peregrine Hubbard and had issue.
- Lady Miranda Fitzalan-Howard (born 1927), married Hon. Christopher Emmett (son of the Baroness Emmet of Amberley).
- Lady Mirabel Fitzalan-Howard (1931–2008), married Bernard Noel David George Terrence Kelly (son of Sir David Victor Kelly) and had issue.
- Lord Mark Fitzalan-Howard (born 1934)
His great-granddaughter is actress Gabriella Wilde.
In 1924, Fitzalan-Howard inherited his father's barony. He was heir presumptive since 17 May 1962 to his cousin the 16th Duke of Norfolk, but predeceased him by just over two years. As is customary, when his eldest son inherited the dukedom, the Sovereign granted his younger children the style and precedence that they would have had if their father survived.
- "The Fitzalan-Howard family". National Portrait Gallery, London.
- The 1st Viscount Fitzalan of Derwent, born Lord Edmund Fitzalan-Howard, and later known since 1876 as Lord Edmund Talbot, was heir presumptive to his elder brother the 15th Duke of Norfolk from 1860 (the death of their father) to 7 September 1879 (the birth of the 15th Duke's son Philip, and again from 8 July 1902 (the death of Philip) to 1908 (the birth of his younger but only surviving son Bernard Fitzalan-Howard, 16th Duke of Norfolk. Lord Fitzalan of Derwent became heir presumptive again to his nephew from 1917 (the death of his brother the 15th Duke) until his own death in 1947. He was given his viscountcy in 1921. At his death, the position of heir presumptive then passed to Lord Fitzalan of Derwent's only son the 2nd Viscount (1883-1962) who died without male heirs himself in 1962. At that point, the 3rd Baron Howard of Glossop became heir presumptive, and so remained until his death in 1972. The 3rd Baron Howard of Glossop and the 16th Duke's mother were first cousins, and descendants of the 1st Baron Howard of Glossop, so the heirs were closely related.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Baron Howard of Glossop