Bernard McGinn (theologian)
|Occupation||Professor (Emeritus), University of Chicago, Divinity School|
|Notable work||The Presence of God|
|Tradition or movement||Roman Catholic|
Bernard McGinn (born 1937) is a theologian, historian, and scholar of spirituality, affiliated with the University of Chicago, where he is Naomi Shenstone Donnelley Professor Emeritus of Historical Theology and of the History of Christianity in the Divinity School and the Committees on Medieval Studies and on General Studies. He received educational degrees from the Pontifical Gregorian University (STL, 1963) and from Brandeis University (PhD, 1970). He retired (assumed emeritus status) in 2003, but has continued to publish scholarly work since that time.
The following volumes of McGinn's history of Christian mysticism, The Presence of God. series have been so far been published (of a projected 7):
- McGinn, Bernard (1991). The foundations of mysticism. New York: Crossroad. ISBN 0-8245-1121-2. (494 pages)
- McGinn, Bernard (1994). The growth of mysticism. New York: Crossroad. ISBN 0-8245-1450-5. (630 pages)
- McGinn, Bernard (1998). The flowering of mysticism: men and women in the new mysticism (1200-1350). New York: Crossroad. ISBN 0-8245-1742-3. ISBN 0-8245-1743-1 (paperback) (526 pages)
- McGinn, Bernard (2005). The harvest of mysticism in medieval Germany (1300-1500). New York: Crossroad. ISBN 0-8245-2345-8. (738 pages)
- McGinn, Bernard (2013). The varieties of vernacular mysticism (1350-1550). New York: Crossroad. ISBN 0-8245-9901-2. (864 pages)
His most recent book is Thomas Aquinas's Summa theologiae: A Biography (2014).
- McGinn's faculty page at Divinity School, University of Chicago (accessed 25 June 2010)
- McGinn's year of birth is listed as 1937 on the information page (p. vi) of his book, Meister Eckhart and the Beguine Mystics (2001), (accessed 25 June 2010).
- Bernard McGinn profile at John Templeton Foundation (accessed 25 June 2010).
- Two are Harvest, plus Essential Writings of Christian Mysticism - see Google search for his books published 2004-date (accessed 25 June 2010).
- McGinn's faculty page at Divinity School, University of Chicago
- McGinn profile at Spiritual Information project (JTF).