|Born||22 February 1952|
|Institutions||University of Oxford|
|Alma mater||Cambridge University|
|Thesis||Data Analysis: Some Theory and Practice (1978)|
|Doctoral advisor||D. G. Kendall|
|Known for||density estimation, nonparametric regression, functional data analysis|
|Notable awards||Mayhew Prize (1974)
Smith's Prize (1976)
Gold Medal International Mathematical Olympiad
Guy Medal (Bronze, 1984) (Silver, 1997)
COPSS Presidents' Award (1991)
Fellow of the Royal Society
Bernard Walter Silverman FRS (born 22 February 1952) is a British statistician and Anglican minister. He was Master of St Peter's College, Oxford from 1 October 2003 to 31 December 2009. He is a member of the Statistics Department at Oxford University, and is also attached to the Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, the Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, and the Oxford-Man Institute of Quantitative Finance. He has been a member of the Council of Oxford University and of the Council of the Royal Society. He was briefly President of the Royal Statistical Society in January 2010, a position from which he stood down upon announcement of his appointment as Chief Scientific Advisor to the Home Office.
- 1970–73 Undergraduate, Jesus College, Cambridge.
- 1973–74 Graduate Student, Jesus College, Cambridge.
- 1974–75 Research Student, Statistical Laboratory, Cambridge.
- 1975–77 Research Fellow of Jesus College, Cambridge.
- 1976–77 Calculator Development Manager, Sinclair Radionics Ltd.
- 1977–78 Junior Lecturer in Statistics, Oxford University and Weir Junior Research Fellow of University College, Oxford.
- 1978–80 Lecturer in Statistics, University of Bath.
- 1981–84 Reader in Statistics, University of Bath.
- 1984 and 1992–93 Head of Statistics Group, University of Bath.
- 1984–93 Professor of Statistics, University of Bath.
- 1988–91 Head of School of Mathematical Sciences, University of Bath.
- 1993–2003 Professor of Statistics, University of Bristol
- 1993–97 and 1998–99 Head of Statistics Group, University of Bristol
- 1999–2003 Henry Overton Wills Professor of Mathematics, University of Bristol
- 2000–03 Provost of the Institute for Advanced Studies, University of Bristol
- 2003–09 Master of St Peter's College, Oxford
- 2010– Senior Research Fellow, Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, Oxford (part-time)
- 2010– Professorial Research Associate, Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics, Oxford (part-time)
- 2010– Chief Scientific Advisor, Home Office
Degrees and qualifications
- 1973 Bachelor of Arts, Cambridge. (Wrangler)
- 1974 Part III of Mathematical Tripos, Cambridge (with Distinction)
- 1977 Doctor of Philosophy, Cambridge
- 1989 Doctor of Science, Cambridge
- 1993 Chartered Statistician, Royal Statistical Society
- 2000 Bachelor of Theology, Southampton (First Class Honours) through STETS
Awards and honours
- 1970 Gold Medal, International Mathematical Olympiad
- 1974 Mayhew Prize for Mathematical Tripos Part III, University of Cambridge
- 1976 Smith's Prize, Cambridge University
- 1984 Royal Statistical Society Guy Medal in Bronze
- 1985 Special Invited Paper, Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- 1988 Technometrics Special Discussion Paper, American Statistical Association
- 1991 Presidents' Award of the Committee of presidents of Statistical Societies
- 1993 Fulkerson Lecturer, Cornell University
- 1995 Royal Statistical Society Guy Medal in Silver
- 1997 Fellow of the Royal Society
- 1999 Special Invited Paper, Institute of Mathematical Statistics
- 1999 Henri Willem Methorst Medal, International Statistical Institute
- 2000 Corcoran Lecturer, Oxford University
- 2001 Member of Academia Europaea
- 2002 Original Member, Highly Cited Researchers database, ISI
- 2003 Honorary Fellow, Jesus College, Cambridge
- 1999 Ordained deacon, Church of England
- 2000 Ordained priest, Church of England
- Green, P.J.; Silverman, B.W. (1994). Nonparametric Regression and Generalized Linear Models: A Roughness Penalty Approach. Chapman & Hall.
- Ramsay, J.O.; Silverman, B.W. (2002). Applied Functional Data Analysis: Methods and Case Studies. Springer-Verlag.
- Ramsay, J.O.; Silverman, B.W. (2005) . Functional Data Analysis (second, expanded and rewritten ed.). Springer-Verlag.
- Silverman, B.W. (1986). Density Estimation for Statistics and Data Analysis. Chapman & Hall.
- Silverman, B.W.; Vassilicos, J.C., eds. (2000). Wavelets: The Key to Intermittent Information?. Oxford University Press.
- Council for 2008/9 of the Royal Society
- "New Home Office Chief Scientific Adviser announced". Home Office Press Office. Retrieved 19 February 2010.
- Bernard Silverman's CV
- Bernard Silverman home page
- Bernard Silverman's results at the International Mathematical Olympiad
- Prof Bernard Silverman, FRS at Debrett's People of Today