June 24, 1970|
|Died||May 10, 2012
Guincho Cascais, Portugal
|Occupation(s)||Musician, film composer, music educator|
|Years active||1980s– 2012|
Sassetti was born in Lisbon. He was a great-grandson of Sidónio Pais, President of the First Republic. He initially played guitar, then began studying piano and music theory at age nine. He became interested in jazz after hearing Bill Evans. By the late 1980s, he was backing visiting musicians and teaching jazz piano in Lisbon (and, later, taught throughout other lusophonic areas). During the 1990s, he worked in London, where he recorded three albums with Guy Barker's group. Anthony Minghella invited them to appear as the Napoli Jazz Sextet in The Talented Mr. Ripley.
His 2006 album Unreal: Sidewalk Cartoon received a four-star rating (of a possible four) in The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.), and was selected for The Penguin Jazz Guide: The History of the Music in the 1000 Best Albums.
In addition to his jazz work, Sassetti has composed numerous film scores.
Bernardo Sassetti was married to actress Beatriz Batarda, with whom he had two daughters.
- Ao vivo no Guimarães jazz; Dundumbanza; Tibiri tabara; Impressões and Olhar; Passagem; What love is; Ecos de África; Sons do Brasil; Mundos; Fragments (Of Cinematic Illusion); Entropé; 4 Movimentos Soltos
- Nocturno, Bernardo Sassetti Trio, 2002, Clean Feed
- Indigo, Piano solo, 2002, Clean Feed
- Ascent, Trio2, with bass, drums, vibes and cello, 2005
- Unreal: Sidewalk Cartoon, 2006, Clean Feed
- Motion, Bernardo Sassetti Trio, 2010
- Carlos do Carmo / Bernardo Sassetti, 2010
- Second Life (2009) Composer (filming)
- Os Grandes Portugueses (2007) (TV) .... Himself
- Antes de Amanhã (2007) Composer
- 98 Octanas (2006) Composer
- Alice (2005) Composer
- A Costa dos Murmúrios (2004) Composer
- O Milagre segundo Salomé (2004) Composer
- Maria E as Outras (2004) Composer
- Quaresma (2003) Composer
- Aniversário (2000) (TV) Composer
- Facas e Anjos (2000) (TV) Composer
- O Segredo (2000) Composer
- As Terças da Bailarina Gorda (2000) Composer
- Maria do Mar (1930) (2000) Composer
- The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999) – Pianist (Napoli Jazz Sextet)
- Mundo VIP (2 episodes, Show nº 12 and Show nº 197, 1996-2000) – Himself
- Morton, Brian; Richard Cook (2010). The Penguin Jazz Guide: The History of the Music in the 1000 Best Albums. London: Penguin. pp. 698–699. ISBN 978-0-14-104831-4.
- Morreu Bernardo Sassetti. Lisbon: Público (Portugal). 2012.
- Morreu o compositor e pianista Bernardo Sassetti. Lisbon: Diário de Notícias. 2012.
- Morreu Bernardo Sassetti. Lisbon: Expresso (Portuguese newspaper). 2012.
- Priestley, Brian; Ian Carr, Digby Fairweather (2004). The Rough Guide to Jazz. London: Rough Guides. p. 698. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2008) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.). New York: Penguin. pp. 1263–1264. ISBN 978-0-14-103401-0.
- Bernardo Sassetti at the Internet Movie Database
- "Unreal: Sidewalk Cartoon". Clean Feed. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- Music: Composer Bernardo Sassetti dead at age 41 – Portugal -Portuguese American Journal
- En Homenaje a Bernardo Sassetti - Cuadernos de Jazz. Alejandro Cifuentes