Bernd Bruegge (German: Bernd Brügge) is a full professor at the Technische Universität München (TUM) and the head of the Chair for Applied Software Engineering. He is also an adjunct associate professor at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in Pittsburgh.
Bruegge was born in 1951. He received a Bachelor degree in computer science at the University of Hamburg in 1978, a Master degree in computer science from Carnegie Mellon University in 1982 and a PhD degree in computer science from Carnegie Mellon University in 1985. He has been a professor at the Technische Universität München in Munich since 1997. From 2000 to 2003, he was a member of the Deutsche Telekom research committee. He has been a member of the research committee of Munich district (German: Münchner Kreis), a nonprofit association, since 2003 and member of the CIO Colloquium scientific advisory board since 2009. Bruegge is also the liaison professor for the German National Academic Foundation (German: Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes).
His principal research areas are Modeling and semantics, Computational intelligence and Machine learning, Knowledge Management and representation, Process support and human factors, and Process models and methodologies
- Herbert Simon Teaching Award Carnegie Mellon University (1985)
- Recipient of a scholarship from the Patriotische Gesellschaft, a Hamburg-based association for the promotion of arts, manufacture and commerce (1975-1979)
- German National Academic Foundation (1972-1978)
- State champion in the German youth science competition Jugend forscht (English: Youth researchers): mathematics/computer science (1972)
Bernd Bruegge is the author of the following books:
- Bernd Bruegge, Allen Dutoit: Object-Oriented Software Engineering: Using UML, Patterns and Java (Third Edition). Prentice Hall, 2009. ISBN 978-0136061250.
- Eva-Maria Kern, Heinz-Gerd Hegering, Bernd Brügge: Managing Development and Application of Digital Technologies. Sringer. 2006. ISBN 3-540-34128-5.
He is also the author of many academic papers, for example:
- Bernd Bruegge, Allen Dutoit, Timo Wolf. Sysiphus: Enabling informal collaboration in global software development. In the proceedings of the International Conference on Global Software Engineering (ICGSE) 2006.
- Martin Bauer, Bernd Bruegge, et al. Design of a component-based augmented reality framework. In the Proceedings of IEEE and ACM International Symposium on Augmented Reality. 2001.
- Bernd Bruegge, Allen Dutoit, et al. Transatlantic project courses in a university environment. In the proceedinds of the 7th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC), 2000.
- Allen Dutoit, Bernd Bruegge. Communication metrics for software development. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, 24(8), pp. 615-628. 1998.
- Bernd Bruegge, Allen Dutoit. Communication metrics for software development. In the proceedings of the 19th ACM International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), 1997.
- Bernd Bruegge, Ben Bennington. Applications of mobile computing and communication. IEEE Personal Communications, 3(1), pp. 64-71. 1996.
- Bernd Bruegge, Robert Coyne. Teaching iterative and collaborative design: lessons and directions. Software Engineering Education, Springer, pp. 411-427, 1994.
- Bernd Bruegge, Tim Gottschalk, Bin Luo. A framework for dynamic program analyzers. In ACM SIGPLAN Notices, 28(10), 1993.
- Bernd Bruegge, Jim Blythe, et al. Object-oriented system modeling with OMT. In ACM SIGPLAN Notices, 27(10), pp. 359–376. 1992.
- Bernd Bruegge, Peter Hibbard. Generalized path expressions: A high-level debugging mechanism. Journal of Systems and Software, 3(4), pp. 265-276. 1983.
- Bernd Bruegge. Teaching an industry-oriented software engineering course. Software Engineering Education, Springer, pp. 63-87, 1992.