Berne Township, Fairfield County, Ohio
|Berne Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Fairfield County.
|• Total||44.5 sq mi (115.3 km2)|
|• Land||44.4 sq mi (115.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||781 ft (238 m)|
|• Density||111.9/sq mi (43.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086073|
Berne Township is one of the thirteen townships of Fairfield County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 4,969 people in the township, 4,521 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Pleasant Township - north
- Rush Creek Township - northeast
- Marion Township, Hocking County - southeast
- Good Hope Township, Hocking County - south
- Madison Township - southwest
- Hocking Township - west
- Greenfield Township - northwest corner
Name and history
It is the only Berne Township statewide, although there is a Bern Township in Athens County.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Fairfield County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.