July 24, 1899
(age 114 years, 268 days)
West Springfield, Massachusetts
|Title||Oldest living resident of Massachusetts|
|Spouse(s)||Paul Madigan (1896-1976)
(m. 1925–1976; his death)
|Parents||Harry and Grace (Bennett) Emerson|
Bernice Madigan (née Emerson) (born July 24, 1899) is an American supercentenarian who is, at the age of 114 years, 268 days, the oldest living resident of Massachusetts, the third-oldest living person in the United States, and the world's fourth-oldest living person. She is one of 100 centenarians in The Archon Genomics XPRIZE, and is among the 100 verified oldest people ever.
Bernice Emerson was born in West Springfield, Massachusetts on July 24, 1899. She moved to Cheshire, where she lives today, when she was 6. She graduated from Adams High School in 1918, and thereafter moved to Washington, D.C., where she worked as a secretary for the Veterans Administration, then the Treasury Department. Madigan is a lifelong Republican; she attended the March 4, 1921 inauguration of President Warren G. Harding, and cites Dwight D. Eisenhower and Ronald Reagan as her favorite U.S. Presidents. "Reagan accomplished more for the government. Eisenhower I thought was very good in some ways in the White House. I liked them both very much." Madigan met her husband, Paul, in Washington, and they were married 50 years. Paul died in 1976. She has outlived a brother, Roy Emerson, and a sister, Marilyn Emerson Martin. She returned to Cheshire from Silver Spring, Maryland in 2007.
An average breakfast for Madigan comprises a bowl of Wheaties, with banana slices on top and four miniature glazed doughnuts on the side. As pastimes, she enjoys reading and watching television shows such as The Lawrence Welk Show and Cops.
- List of living supercentenarians
- List of supercentenarians from the United States
- List of the verified oldest women
- "State’s oldest woman turns 113". North Adams Transcript.
- "Oldest Validated Living Supercentenarians". Gerontology Research Group. Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- "Paul Madigan, "United States Social Security Death Index"". Family Search.
- "Bernice M Emerson, "District of Columbia Marriages, 1811-1950"". Family Search.
- "Harry G. Emerson in entry for Bernice M. Emerson, "Massachusetts, Births, 1841-1915"". Family Search.
- Cheshire Woman 16th Oldest in the World
- Cheshire Woman Is Fourth Oldest in the World
- "Bernice Madigan Centenarian Profile". Archon Genomics. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- Ansberry, Clare. "Contestants Race to Map DNA of 100 Centenarians". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved June 13, 2013.
- "At 110, Bay State’s oldest resident is a marvel of longevity". The Boston Globe. July 24, 2009. Retrieved December 8, 2012.