Berowra Heights, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
|Location||39 km (24 mi) north-west of Sydney CBD|
Berowra Heights is a suburb of northern Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 39 kilometres north of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of Hornsby Shire. It is part of the North Shore region. Berowra Heights is north-west of the suburb of Berowra and east of Berowra Waters.
Berowra is an Aboriginal word that means place of many winds.
Berowra Heights Post Office opened on 2 September 1968.
According to the 2011 census of Population, there were 5,104 residents in Berowra Heights. 79.1% of people were born in Australia. The most common other countries of birth were England 7.2%, New Zealand 1.6% and South Africa 1.0%. 91.4% of people only spoke English at home. Other languages spoken at home included Dutch 0.6%, Mandarin 0.5% and German 0.4%. The most common responses for religious affiliation were Anglican 26.5%, No Religion 24.8% and Catholic 23.8%.
Business is conducted in two shopping centres; the Village Green and Berowra Marketplace (Foodtown). Businesses include a Bendigo Bank Community Bank, Coles and IGA supermarkets, two pharmacies, a comprehensive medical centre and a range of restaurants.
Access to Berowra Heights is by road from Berowra, to the east, via Berowra Waters Road. Alternatively, the Berowra Waters Ferry, a car ferry, connects Berowra Waters with the western end of Berowra Waters Road. The Shorelink route 597 provides an hourly bus service from Berowra Heights to and from Hornsby railway station.
Wideview Primary School, Berowra Christian Community School, St Bernards Primary School and Berowra Public School. The latter of which was established in 1894. The head of schools is Mr Jeffrey Carrick.
Bush fires present a very real threat for the Berowra area due to the proximity of bushland. Fire protection for urbanised parts of Berowra Heights is provided by Station 75 (Berowra) of Fire and Rescue NSW and supported by Community Fire Units. Fire protection for bushland parts of Berowra Heights is provided by the NSW New South Wales Rural Fire Service, through the Berowra Rural Fire Brigade, currently located in High Street in Berowra.
- Rural Fire Service - NSW Rural Fire Service
- Berowra Waters
- Dangar Island
- Hawkesbury River Railway Bridge
- Hawkesbury River
- Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Berowra Heights (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- Premier Postal History. "Post Office List". Retrieved 1 June 2012
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Berowra Heights (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- The Book of Sydney Suburbs, Compiled by Frances Pollen, Angus & Robertson Publishers, 1990, Published in Australia ISBN 0-207-14495-8
- Berowra Community Home Page and Directory
- The Bush Telegraph: Local newsletter for Berowra and surrounding areas