BLM (law firm)
|No. of offices||Twelve|
|Date founded||1997 (following a merger of Berrymans with Lace Mawer)|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
BLM LLP is an insurance and dispute resolution law firm based in the United Kingdom, rebranded from Berrymans Lace Mawer following the merger with HBM Sayers in May 2014.
BLM provides legal services in 50 areas of law, grouped into eleven key market sectors: brokers, construction and property, general insurance, healthcare, leisure and hospitality, Lloyds and London market, manufacturing, public sector, retail, TMT and transport and logistics.
BLM has twelve offices across the UK and Ireland: Birmingham, Bristol, Cardiff, Dublin, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, London (EC2), London (EC3), Manchester and Southampton. The firm has approximately 1,550 staff including 170 partners (as of 1 May 2014) and 630 lawyers and technical experts.
In 1997, the firm was created with the merger of Berrymans with Lace Mawer. The origins of the firm date back to the 18th century, when Joshua Lace gave his name to an already established law firm in Liverpool. In 1901, Frederic Berryman began the practice of Berrymans in the City of London and, in 1946, Arthur Mawer founded AW Mawer & Co in Manchester. Michael Brown is the current national senior partner (elected 2012)
On May 1, 2014, Berrymans Lace Mawer and HBM Sayers formally combined as BLM, launching a rebrand complete with new corporate identity, visual palette, mission and values.
BLM’s dedicated corporate social responsibility committee manages all of the company’s CSR activities. The committee produces an annual report called Community Matters, which provides further information about the firm’s CSR initiatives and programmes they are involved with.
In January 2007, BLM partnered with The Prince's Trust for four years, assisting in its support of 14–30-year olds to offer practical support including training, mentoring and financial assistance.
In 2011 BLM selected children's charity Barnardo's to be the firm's national charity for the next two years. Staff will continue to help the charity in its mission to transform over 100,000 disadvantaged children's lives every year.
- "Berrymans posts 3% revenue rise as PEP falls 15% to £248k". Legalweek. 5 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "Rebranded BLM becomes £100m business following HBM Sayers merger". Post Magazine. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Key facts about BLM". BLM LLP. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- Dowell, Katy (30 March 2010). "'The Lawyer'' – 20 March 2010 'Berrymans launches in Bristol with double partner hire". The Lawyer. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "'Legal Week'' – 29 October 2007 'National firm Berrymans in surprise Cardiff debut". Legalweek.com. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Berrymans ventures abroad for Dublin launch as new strategy kicks in". Legalweek. 1 October 2012. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "Berrymans enters Scottish market with HBM Sayers merger". The Lawyer. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "''The Lawyer'' 20-years-of-the-lawyer – 5 December 2007". The Lawyer. 5 December 2007. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "BLM boss: insurance is transforming and this firm is going global". The Lawyer. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Community Matters" (PDF). BLM. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Roll of Patrons 2010". Princes-trust.org.uk. 29 May 1961. Retrieved 2011-08-08.
- "Barnardo's | Berrymans Lace Mawer". Barnardos.org.uk. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "Firm's rankings in Legal 500 2012". Legal500. Retrieved 2012-11-01.