Berryville Town Square
Location in Carroll County and the state of Arkansas
|• Total||6.1 sq mi (15.8 km2)|
|• Land||6.1 sq mi (15.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,243 ft (379 m)|
|• Density||880/sq mi (340/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||870 Exchanges: 423,480|
|GNIS feature ID||0046413|
Berryville is a city in Carroll County, Arkansas, United States. The population was 5,356 at the 2010 census, making it the largest city in Carroll County. Along with Eureka Springs, it is one of the two county seats of Carroll County.
Berryville is located in central Carroll County at  U.S. Route 62 passes through the center of the city, leading east 30 miles (48 km) to Harrison and west 46 miles (74 km) to Rogers. Eureka Springs is 12 miles (19 km) to the west on US 62. Arkansas Highway 21 leads north from Berryville 16 miles (26 km) to the Missouri line.(36.368421, -93.568205).
As of the census of 2010, there were 5,356 people, 1,963 households, and 1,309 families residing in the city. The population density was 879.0 people per square mile (339.2/km²). There were 2,155 housing units at an average density of 353.3 per square mile (136.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 81.7% White, 0.5% Black or African American, 0.8% Native American, 0.9% Asian, 0.4% Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, 13.2% some other race, and 2.6% two or more races. 24.7% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,963 households, out of which 38.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.3% were headed by married couples living together, 14.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.3% were non-families. 28.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.3% were someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65, and the average family size was 3.26.
In the city the population was spread out with 29.0% under the age of 18, 9.8% from 18 to 24, 25.5% from 25 to 44, 21.1% from 45 to 64, and 14.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33.5 years. For every 100 females there were 90.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.0 males.
For the period 2008-2012, the estimated median annual income for a household in the city was $30,046, and the median income for a family was $37,717. Male full-time workers had a median income of $28,244 versus $24,074 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,924. About 14.2% of families and 17.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.5% of those under age 18 and 14.8% of those age 65 or over.
Places of interest
Cosmic Cavern is 7 miles (11 km) north of town on Arkansas Highway 21.
Berryville is the home of handgun manufacturing companies of Nighthawk Custom and Wilson Combat, as well as the International Defensive Pistol Association, a body that sanctions practical shooting competitions that emphasize real-world self-defense scenarios.
- US Highway 62
- US Highway 62 Spur
- Arkansas Highway 21
- Arkansas Highway 143
- Arkansas Highway 221
- Arkansas Highway 980
- Bob Ballinger, Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives from District 97 (Carroll, Madison, and Washington counties); maintains law office in Berryville
- James Henderson Berry, U.S. senator, 14th governor of Arkansas
- F. A. "Pat" Teague, (1904-1975), former member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, narrowly unseated in 1966 by Republican Danny L. Patrick; a former turkey farmer in Berryville
- James William Trimble, former congressman, unseated in 1966 by Republican John Paul Hammerschmidt, a former Berryville lawyer
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Berryville city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture: Berryville (Carroll County). 2009-09-23. Retrieved 2009-11-11.
- "Profile for Berryville, Arkansas, AR". ePodunk. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Berryville city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Selected Economic Characteristics: 2008-2012 American Community Survey 5-Year Estimates (DP03): Berryville city, Arkansas". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Bob Ballinger, R-97". arkansashouse.org. Retrieved January 7, 2014.