Bert and Dickie
|Bert and Dickie|
Cover of DVD
|Written by||William Ivory|
|Directed by||David Blair|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Running time||89 minutes|
|Original channel||BBC One|
|Original airing||25 July 2012|
As part of the celebrations for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, the BBC produced the film Bert and Dickie (also called Going For Gold: The '48 Games), depicting Dickie Burnell and Bert Bushnell's achievement at the 1948 Games.
- Sam Hoare as Dickie Burnell
- Matt Smith as Bert Bushnell
- Geoffrey Palmer as Charles Burnell
- James Frain as Jack Beresford
- Douglas Hodge as John Bushnell
- Anastasia Hille as Lena Bushnell
- Alexandra Moen as Rosalind Burnell
Thrown together just five weeks before the final of the 1948 London Olympics, Bert Bushnell and Dickie Burnell row together in the double sculls.
Paddy Shennan of the Liverpool Echo said Bert and Dickie is thoroughly absorbing and uplifting and a winning drama about a winning team.  James Watson of The Telegraph highlighted the performances of Douglas Hodge and Geoffrey Palmer: Douglas Hodge brilliantly conveyed John Bushnell’s almost embarrassed desperation for Bert to succeed where he’d failed. Playing Charles Burnell, Geoffrey Palmer was, as ever, hard to beat for lugubrious gruffness. and concluded his review with anybody whose eyes didn’t join Bushnell Snr’s in filling with tears is stronger than me. 
Awards and nominations
The following is a table listing the awards and nominations received by Bert and Dickie
|2012||Monte-Carlo TV Festival||Golden Nymph||Best Television Film||Nominated|
|2012||Monte-Carlo TV Festival||Golden Nymph||Television Films - Best Director: David Blair||Nominated|
- Going for Gold – The '48 Games
- Jeavans, Christine (23 July 2012). "Matt Smith on pain behind 1948 Olympics' Bert and Dickie". BBC News. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- Paddy Shennan’s TV Review: Bert and Dickie
- The Telegraph review of "Bert and Dickie"
- IMDB Awards list for Bert and Dickie