Carvel as Miss Trunchbull.
6 September 1977
|Alma mater||Sussex University
Royal Academy of Dramatic Art
The child of a journalist and a psychologist, Carvel was educated at University College School. He studied English at Sussex University before training as an actor at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA), graduating in 2003. Bertie Carvel is the voice of the male Imperial Agent in Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO video game.
Carvel has appeared in Revelations at the Hampstead Theatre, Rose Bernd with Headlong, Coram Boy at the Royal National Theatre, The Life of Galileo at the National Theatre, The Man of Mode at the National Theatre, Parade at the Donmar Warehouse, and Matilda the Musical at the Cambridge Theatre, produced by the Royal Shakespeare Company.
Carvel was nominated for the Olivier Award for Best Actor in a Musical for his performance in Parade in 2008. He won the award in 2012 for his performance as Miss Trunchbull in Matilda the Musical, a production that won six other Oliviers. Carvel also won the TMA Award for Best Performance in a Musical and was similarly nominated for the Evening Standard Award. He played Enrico in Damned By Despair at the National Theatre.
In March 2013, he reprised his role as Miss Trunchbull in Matilda on Broadway at the Shubert Theatre. This has earned him Tony Award and Drama Desk Award nominations for Best Leading Actor in a Musical, and Best Featured Actor in a Musical, respectively.
Television and film
He appeared in Doctor Who, in "The Lazarus Experiment", Sherlock in "The Blind Banker", Bombshell, Hawking, The Crimson Petal and the White, Money and Midsomer Murders: The Great and the Good. He played Lord Carmarthen, in John Adams. In the television film Agatha Christie: A Life in Pictures he played Christie's second husband Max Mallowan. Carvel appeared as Bamatabois in the film Les Misérables, based on the musical of the same name.
- "Carvel Takes Home Best Actor". olivierawards.com. Olivier Awards. 15 April 2012. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- "Matilda makes history: Musical wins SEVEN Olivier awards (and a best actress gong for its four stars to share)". dailymail.co.uk. Daily Mail. 15 April 2012. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- "Evening Standard Theatre awards". London Evening Standard. 7 November 2011. Retrieved 20 April 2012.
- "Bertie Carvel: My Damned By Despair character is on a bender of violence". metro.co.uk. The Metro. 9 October 2012. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- "Olivier Winner Bertie Carvel to Reprise Role as Evil Headmistress Miss Trunchbull in Matilda on Broadway". broadway.com. Broadway World. 8 November 2012. Retrieved 8 November 2012.
- Nominations Announced for 67th Annual Tony Awards; Kinky Boots Earns 13 Nominations Playbill, April 30, 2013. Matilda The Musical earned 12 nominations
- 2013 Drama Desk Nominations Announced - GIANT & HANDS ON A HARDBODY Lead with 9, Followed by MATILDA, PASSION & DROOD broadwayworld.com, April 29, 2013
- "Flirty Bertie gets hands-on with Anne". Daily Mail. 16 March 2012. Retrieved 20 April 2012.