Main street in Besishahar in the morning.
|Established||15 May 2014|
|• Total||45.02 km2 (17.38 sq mi)|
|Elevation||760 m (2,490 ft)|
|• Density||590/km2 (1,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Nepal Time (UTC+5:45)|
Besishahar (Nepali: बेसीसहर नगरपालिका) is a Municipality and the District Headquarter of Lamjung District in Gandaki Zone, Nepal. The Besisahar Municipality was formed by merging the existing Village Development Committees i.e. Besisahar, Gaunsahar, Udipur & Chandisthan in May 15, 2014. Here are different casts and religions. So they have different culture. This Municipality is full of natural beauty. Besisahar Municipality has a warm and sub-tropical type of climate with deciduous forest type. Annapurna II, Machhapuchhre, Lamjung Himal are the beautiful scenes that can be viewed from north of Besisahar Municipality. This Municipality has 14 ward's.
Transportation & Communications
Dumre - Besishahar-Chame Highway connects the city to various parts of Nepal. The proximity of this city from Kathmandu (178.8 km), Pokhara (108.9 km), Bharatpur (104 km), Birganj (234 km), Damauli (59 km) and Prithbinarayan(Gorkha) (76 km). Bus, Micro Bus, Taxi and other land transportation are available to go out of the city, for internal transportation Bus, Minibus and Car/Jeep hiring is available.
- Communication - Three major local FM radio stations broadcast from Besisahar Municipality. They are "Radio Marsyangdi" - 95.0 MHz, "Radio Lamjung" - 88.4 MHz & "Radio Chautari" - 91.4 MHz. Which are Community Radio stations. Land line telephone services and mobile telephone services are available to the majority of areas. There are multiple private Internet service providers available within the Municipality.Besisahar Municipality has print medias Lamjung Highlights, Antarang, Lamjung Aawaz etc.
- Banks - There are more than 15 Banks (Pacific Development Bank Ltd, Rastriya Banijya Bank, Nepal Bank Limited, Nabil Bank Ltd, Everest Bank, Agricultural Development Bank Nepal,Nepal SBI Bank Limited, Sunrise Bank Limited Etc.) and Financial Institution in Besisahar Municipality.
- Marshyandi River - The Marshyandi River flows north to south in the east of Besisahar Municipality. It is the one of the branch of Gandaki River. The Marshyandi Bridge over the river connects eastern Lamjung. It is located in Besisahar Municipality - 2 - Udipur, Lamjung.
- Lamjung Durbar - It is also a historically famous place where King Yesho Bramha Shah, the founder of Shah Dynasty in Nepal ruled the small principality of Lamjung. This palace stands in Gaunsahar.
- Middle Marshyandi Hydro Electricty - 70 Megawatt Mid-Marshyangdi Hydroelectricity Project (MMHEP), the second largest hydropower project in the country has started operation from December 14, 2008. PM Pushpa Kamal Dahal (Prachanda) had inaugurated the project. The project was started in June 2001 with joint investments of the Government of Nepal, Germany and Nepal Electricity Authority. It is located in Besisahar Municipality - 2 - Udipur, Lamjung.
Hotels & Resorts
- Gateway Himalaya Resort - Gateway Himalaya Resort has been established in 2012. The resort is located in the heart of Besishahar, Lamjung.
Famous Religious & Cultural Landmarks Of Besishahar Municipality
- Lamjung Kalika - It is a famous, popular, historical & very powerful Hindu goddess temple of Lamjung District located in Gaunsahar.
- Udipur Kalika - It is a famous, popular & very powerful Hindu goddess temple of Lamjung District located in Besisahar Municipality - 1 - Udipur, Lamjung. Udipur Kalika is popular picnic spot of Lamjung.
Educational & Institutions
- Marsyangdi Multiple Campus - Marshyangdi Multiple Campus (MMC), established in 1990 (2047 B.S.), is the first and a leading community campus affiliated with Tribhuvan University. It is situated in the heart of Besisahar city, the headquarter of Lamjung District. MMC came into existence through the collective endeavor of distinguished academicians, social workers, political figures and general public from the community. Founded with the motto of providing quality education basically to the students coming from the rural area of Lamjung District, Tanahun District, Gorkha District and Manang districts and the students who are from underprivileged and marginalized groups as well as middle class backgrounds at affordable cost. MMC has grown, both in size and in reputation into one of the leading higher educational institutions of the district within short period of its establishment. Nurtured by dedicated and experienced lecturers and efficient working staff, the campus instills the values like compassion, selflessness, dedication, love for fellowmen and above all the thirst for wisdom and knowledge into students and prepares them for the challenges of the modern competitive world. At the end, MMC feels proud to share the fact that it has been selected as a deserving community campus for the Second Higher Education Project of University Grant Commission on national level assessment with the support of World Bank.
- Lamjung Skill Development Foundation (LSDF) Campus - A vast number of adolescents and youth of Nepal are out of the school system as they have been left-out or pushed-out of the school for various reasons and often found to be at the center of the vicious cycle as being either the cause or effect of the decade long armed-conflict. As a strategy to work in economic peace building a group of committed professionals with the support from Swiss-Nepal Society (SNS) and DIGA foundation of Switzerland, has established the Lamjung Skill Development Foundation (LSDF) Campus at Besisahar Municipality-4 Gairi, Lamjung. LSDF in its effort to provide a new life to marginalized youth is committed to provide market based practical oriented high-quality vocational/technical skills to the out-of-school youth so that they can be employed or self-employed after completion of their training. The Campus also aims at being a vehicle for rural reconstruction in the region. The campus opened its doors in summer 2008 with the two first long-term courses in civil construction and carpentry. Additional trades (electronic and mechanical) will be implemented step by step. Additional to the regular long-term courses, the campus regularly hosts short-term trainings according to the local needs. Among others, SNS-supported trainings for goat rearing, off-season vegetable and citrus fruits were carried out in close co-operation with local partners.
- Lamjung Higher Secondary School
- Marsyangdi Higher Secondary School
- Jana Vikas Higher Secondary School
- Ex-Army Boarding Higher Secondary School
- Vidhya Bikas Higher Secondary School
- Shree Jana Kalyan Secondary School
- Lamjung District Community Hospital (LDCH) - Since 2001 LDCH has been running under the management of Human Development Community Services (HDCS) with the support of the Government of Nepal. From a 15 bed hospital, LDCH now has 60 bed as well as a range of services, a study from the World Bank quoted Lamjung Hospital as being a "model hospital in Nepal."
Photos of Besishahar Municipality
- Lamjung District
- "72 new municipalities announced". My Republica.com. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Government announces 72 new municipalities". The Kathmandu Post. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Marshyangdi FM". Marshyangdi FM. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Radio Lamjung". Radio Lamjung. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Radio Chautari". Radio Chautari. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "All Lamjung News". All Lamjung News. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Gateway Himalaya Resort". Gateway Himalaya Resort. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Marshyangdi Multiple Campus". Marshyangdi Multiple Campus. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Lamjung Skill Development Foundation". Lamjung Skill Development Foundation. Retrieved 2014-05-15.
- "Lamjung District Community Hospital". Human Development Community Services (HDCS). Retrieved 2014-05-15.
|This Nepalese location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|