|• Mayor||Franz Straub (CSU)|
|• Total||29.99 km2 (11.58 sq mi)|
|Elevation||195 m (640 ft)|
|• Density||190/km2 (500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Bessenbach's Ortsteile are Beetacker, Frauengrund, Gemeindezentrum, Keilberg, Klingerhof, Klingermühle, Oberbessenbach, Steiger, Straßbessenbach, Unterbessenbach, Waldmichelbach and Weiler.
The community was formed on 1 January 1972 through the merger of the communities of Keilberg and Straßbessenbach. In 1978, the community of Oberbessenbach followed.
The council is made up of 20 council members.
(as at municipal election held on 2 March 2008)
On 2 March 2008, Franz Straub (CSU) was elected mayor for the second time with 63.3% of the vote.
Coat of arms
The community's arms might be described thus: Azure a stork argent armed gules with two heads, the sinister reguardant, in base a fess wavy of the second.
The formerly self-administering communities of Keilberg, Straßbessenbach and Oberbessenbach merged into a greater community in 1978, taking on the historical name of Bessenbach once again.
The local noble family, also called Bessenbach, were instrumental in the community's development. Their ancestral seat, a castle, stood in today's centre of Keilberg. The family's existence is documented as far back as the 12th century. They had lordly and juridical rights throughout the Bessenbach valley that they alienated in the late 13th century. The family arms – the two-headed stork – were later adopted as the charge in the community's arms. Standing for the Bessenbach, the brook that serves as the geographical link in the community named after it, is the wavy fess in the base of the escutcheon.
These arms have been borne since 28 November 1977
This is one partnership that Bessenbach has maintained with all three French communes since 1985.
Economy and infrastructure
- The community is served by various buslines of the Verkehrsgemeinschaft am Bayerischen Untermain ("Transport Association of the Bavarian Lower Main") from the main railway station in Aschaffenburg.
- Moreover, Bessenbach lies right on the A 3 interchange Bessenbach/Waldaschaff and near the Spessart service centre near Rohrbrunn. In connection with this, Bessenbach, along with Aschaffenburg, has gained a certain measure of fame, above all for the frequent traffic jams on the A 3.
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). 31 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bessenbach.|
- Community’s official webpage (German)
- This article incorporates information from the German Wikipedia.